Rudi's - what a wasted space - empty

55 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This is a valid question.  HIA has been successful but anything off the package doesn’t sell well. The servers confirm this. They bitterly complain about the grand voyages where HIA is not available and their extra service tips disappear. I can think of solutions but HAL doesn’t pay me😊

I am not surprised about the Grand Voyage comment.  We have taken segments of several Grand Voyages and done two complete Grands.  They were among our favorite HAL voyages.  But, on our "Grands" it was ship full of well traveled, and well aged, HAL cruisers a large majority of which were 4-5* Mariners.  At the risk of being flamed (what else is new) we found the passenger demographics on those Grand voyages as strongly skewed towards the seniors and their parents :).  On pne of our Grand Med cruises we recall that the youngest person on the cruise (Jennifer) was 23 and cruising as her Grandmother's companion.  I do not think there was a single other passenger under 60.  Nothing wrong with that (I am also in that senior category) but on HAL it usually means the crowd are not big drinkers, tend to dine early, and go to bed early.  

I have previously posted about our wonderful Grand Med cruises on the Prinsendam.  On many evenings, I would settle into my seat at the Crows Nest bar, about 10pm.  The normal crowd in that bar consisted of approximally 8 others (all male), the popular beverage manager (Peter), the piano bar player/singer,  and usually by 11 pm we were joined by Captain "Halle" who enjoyed sitting at the bar, chatting with the "guys" and often buying us rounds of drinks.  Of the approximate 600 passengers on those voyages there was approximately fewer than 20 passengers populating the two main bars...after 10pm.   it has been similar on the Voyage of the Vikings cruise, when DW and I, along with 2 or 3 other couples, were the only folks in the piano bar by 10.  "Barry from Boston" who was in residence on our two VOV cruises would sometimes have fun doing a Sesame Street number song, based on the number in the venue.  He never had to worry about double digits!   How do I know this?  I guess I qualify as a "night owl" and it is not unusual for me to among the last passengers standing....on most of our voyages.  By the way, I find it a bit sad that Barry Rocklin (Barry from Boston) is now working for Celebrity.

Hank

I do not qualify as senior (being in my 40's), but I loved Rudi's on my January sailing on the Rotterdam (dined twice!) and it was not empty during the 9 day sailing.  I'm looking forward to dining there again this January as well.  I'll be disappointed when Rudi's sunsets, but I'll look forward to trying the new thing.  Food is very subjective, so I always find these posts a little misleading.  If anyone is on the fence....try it!  See what your taste buds think and enjoy your cruise!  If you're always looking for a complaint, you'll find one.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am not surprised about the Grand Voyage comment.  We have taken segments of several Grand Voyages and done two complete Grands.  They were among our favorite HAL voyages.  But, on our "Grands" it was ship full of well traveled, and well aged, HAL cruisers a large majority of which were 4-5* Mariners.  At the risk of being flamed (what else is new) we found the passenger demographics on those Grand voyages as strongly skewed towards the seniors and their parents :).  On pne of our Grand Med cruises we recall that the youngest person on the cruise (Jennifer) was 23 and cruising as her Grandmother's companion.  I do not think there was a single other passenger under 60.  Nothing wrong with that (I am also in that senior category) but on HAL it usually means the crowd are not big drinkers, tend to dine early, and go to bed early.  

I have previously posted about our wonderful Grand Med cruises on the Prinsendam.  On many evenings, I would settle into my seat at the Crows Nest bar, about 10pm.  The normal crowd in that bar consisted of approximally 8 others (all male), the popular beverage manager (Peter), the piano bar player/singer,  and usually by 11 pm we were joined by Captain "Halle" who enjoyed sitting at the bar, chatting with the "guys" and often buying us rounds of drinks.  Of the approximate 600 passengers on those voyages there was approximately fewer than 20 passengers populating the two main bars...after 10pm.   it has been similar on the Voyage of the Vikings cruise, when DW and I, along with 2 or 3 other couples, were the only folks in the piano bar by 10.  "Barry from Boston" who was in residence on our two VOV cruises would sometimes have fun doing a Sesame Street number song, based on the number in the venue.  He never had to worry about double digits!   How do I know this?  I guess I qualify as a "night owl" and it is not unusual for me to among the last passengers standing....on most of our voyages.  By the way, I find it a bit sad that Barry Rocklin (Barry from Boston) is now working for Celebrity.

Hank

We just came off of the Grand Australia we are sixty years old.  We were the part of the middle age, lots of couples our age, lots of younger couples.  Bars, piano Bar, Ocean Bar dance floor full till 11:00 pm to midnight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

... We have also previously posted that we thought the best alternative restaurant option, on HAL, was lunch at the Pinnacle.

Agree - we really enjoy lunch at the PG and think it's a good deal (4* Mariner discount).

• Like 3

While many have posted that Morimoto will be a replacement for Rudi's (Pop Up elsewhere), I think HAL should turn a different direction as Morimoto is in the same "general area" of cuisine as Tamarind.  Yes, many of you will explain to me  elsewise!

Perhaps an High End Indian Restaurant, or a Greek Restaurant would work out.  Think out of the box HAL.  

I too see empty tables in Rudi's.  Not sure why HAL doesn't offer it up to HIA voyagers to get more people in the door.  Some may like it enough to come back.

Everything is subject to change of course, but dining reservations for my April 2025 cruise on the Nieuw Statendam has Rudi’s as an option to book. If that holds, it will be around at least through April of next year.  

• Like 1

We too loved Rudi's last fall aboard the Rotterdam TA cruise. It wasn't full every night but there were always tables taken. Our waiter was outstanding...he found me a terrific wine that wasn't on the wine list and within my HIA beverage allowance.

6 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Everything is subject to change of course, but dining reservations for my April 2025 cruise on the Nieuw Statendam has Rudi’s as an option to book. If that holds, it will be around at least through April of next year.  

Of course you can reserve it but likely it is not included as a selection for your HIA dining 

It is not included as part of HIA. I merely indicated it was available to book (and pay for) as an option in response to rumors it would be closed and replaced by another venue. 

• Like 1

We went once, I’m pretty sure on Nieuw Statendam, and I was excited to be going. We too are one and done. Our waiter was terrible, we are obviously too boring for his taste, so the service was poor. Other tables were more to his liking, livelier chatter and plenty of extras. Oh well!

• Like 1

We met Rudi once, as he sailed when we did on the NS.  The food was wonderful and he was a very gracious and charming man.  I asked him to autograph 2 cookbooks I purchased, and he agreed to photos with me.  So, it's different for everyone, isn't it. Lots of teeth nashing over this subject, and it's all very simple. Don't go to the specialty restaurants if you are afraid the value isn't there.  Sometimes it can be quite magical if you go at the right time.  If it appears empty, well, maybe it's an off night.  

• Like 2