Any reports or updates on Greece fires?

dragongirl

So far they are to the north of the city centered on Mt Pentelis, near Marathon. According to FlightAware the airport is not impacted at the moment. I'm flying out next week myself and am watching closely as well.

• Like 1

I emailed my Greek travel agent ( I arrive August 27) and she said I have nothing to worry about. However, after reading the news, I am bringing N95 masks in case there is wildfire smoke in the area. There are reports of lots of smoke thru Athens. 

One can certainly wear a mask, but they can sure become uncomfy in the 95+ degree temps.  We have previously been in Athens during fires, and one can often smell some smoke in the air and notice some impact on visibility (like a yellow pall hanging over the city).  But since Athens often suffers from bad air pollution, we never found the fires limited our walking.  Unfortunately, these Greek fires seem to have become an annual event.  I should add that we also have an upcoming port stop in Pireaus, and will simply deal with the situation as it exists on the day we arrive.  For now, since we will be there on a Sunday, we would likely take one of the Metro Lines (Green or Blue) to Monstiriki to spend a few hours at the expansive flea market.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One can certainly wear a mask, but they can sure become uncomfy in the 95+ degree temps.  We have previously been in Athens during fires, and one can often smell some smoke in the air and notice some impact on visibility (like a yellow pall hanging over the city).  But since Athens often suffers from bad air pollution, we never found the fires limited our walking.  Unfortunately, these Greek fires seem to have become an annual event.  I should add that we also have an upcoming port stop in Pireaus, and will simply deal with the situation as it exists on the day we arrive.  For now, since we will be there on a Sunday, we would likely take one of the Metro Lines (Green or Blue) to Monstiriki to spend a few hours at the expansive flea market.

Hank

Sunday is a wonderful day to watch the guards change as they wear their dress blue and white uniforms, instead of the browns they wear the rest of the week. If I recall correctly there is a big ceremony at the noon changing. 

24 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Sunday is a wonderful day to watch the guards change as they wear their dress blue and white uniforms, instead of the browns they wear the rest of the week. If I recall correctly there is a big ceremony at the noon changing. 

Been there, done that, although I will admit to having little interest in their uniform change.  All good for folks who are into that kind of thing.

Hank

I've got 4 nights in Athens and periodic nights in the port while I go on my ferry trips between the four different islands. I am sure it won't be fun wearing a mask, but its better than inhaling smoke particles. I will play it by ear. I had to wear masks at work all through Covid for 8-9 hours at a time, so I'm sure I will survive.