What could Cunard name a hypothetical fifth ship?

Clewgarnet

We've run out of undisputed British queens regnant! So, purely for fun and with no expectation of a fifth ship appearing any time soon, what should be Cunard's next move?

Should they take a bold stand on 12th century politics and launch the Queen Matilda? Complicated, of course, by the fact that she held on to her Empress title, but Cunard need to keep their brand consistency.

Should they infuriate the Tudor fans, and possibly curse the ship to a very short life, and go for Queen Jane?

Should they go for leaders who weren't really queens? Queen Boudicca has a nice sound to it, and I admit to a soft spot for Queen Æthelflæd, although they'd probably prefer something a bit easier to spell.

Or should they go for notable queens consort? Queen Eleanor has a marvellous ring to it.

• Like 1

I think Queen Catherine would be an excellent choice as there have been four since 1066.  A lot of people think Cunard's first Queen Elizabeth was named after Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II which of course is incorrect. Queen Catherine would therefore follow the tradition.

Regards John

Queen Alexandra is the most recent Queen consort that doesn't have a Cunard ship named after her.  

Then you have Charlotte, Augusta, Sophia Dorothea but we are soon hitting medieval time, none of them were "famous" enough to be well recognised nowadays.  

Can't rule out 
Camilla either although I don't think she's that popular. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think Queen Catherine would be an excellent choice as there have been four since 1066.  A lot of people think Cunard's first Queen Elizabeth was named after Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II which of course is incorrect. Queen Catherine would therefore follow the tradition.

Regards John

Considering RMS Queen Elizabeth predated Queen Elizabeth II by several decades, that would have been remarkably prescient of Cunard!

So you're going for Cunard switching to queens consort, rather than stretching the definition of queen regnant? It certainly gives them a far wider pool of options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Considering RMS Queen Elizabeth predated Queen Elizabeth II by several decades, that would have been remarkably prescient of Cunard!

So you're going for Cunard switching to queens consort, rather than stretching the definition of queen regnant? It certainly gives them a far wider pool of options.

Only Queen Victoria was named after a Queen regnant... 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

Queen Anne was Queen Regnant of Great Britain 1665 - 1714

A couple more eg  Lady Jane Grey [not crowned] , a couple of Mary's [but we've had two Mary's] and I think, Matilda

Queen Tilly anyone?

Edited by Victoria2

17 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

And Queen Anne. The others may not have been named specifically for a queen regnant, but I don't think it's a coincidence the names are shared, especially with Anne (a fairly lacklustre monarch) joining the fold.

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Queen Anne was Queen Regnant of Great Britain 1665 - 1714

A couple more eg  Lady Jane Grey [not crowned] , a couple of Mary's [but we've had two Mary's] and I think, Matilda

Queen Tilly anyone?

Been living under a rock, I forgot there's a new ship. 

Elizabeth and Mary are consort 
Victoria and Anne are regnant 

According to the recent timeline
Mary (consort)

Elizabeth (consort)

Elizabeth 2 (regnant, debatable but I put regnant for the sake of this pattern) 

Mary 2 (consort)

Victoria (regnant)

Elizabeth  (consort)

Anne (regnant)

So, the next queen should to be named after a Queen consort? 

Adelaide, Alexandra, Augusta, Camilla, CharlotteSophia Dorothea should be the next in-line?  

The Britannia name (being first ever Cunard steamer in 1840) was foolishly lost over to P&O  ---- why >? Beggars belief! 

We've done with Queens now --- next vessel to be??  Mauretania or Aquitania  

You also have Caronia (a huge fav with well heeled pax on both of the previous ships from 1949 and 1999)
Carinthia and Carmania are both nice names...

If QM2 was ever to be replaced and built again as a true Ocean Liner for the NYC run then it has to be QM3 really...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rog747 said:

You also have Caronia (a huge fav with well heeled pax on both of the previous ships from 1949 and 1999)

Not forgetting the 1904 Caronia, as seen in my user pic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rog747 said:

goodness I did not venture back far enough 

An interesting ship, but not quite as interesting as her sister, Carmania, which had the privilege of sinking the German SMS Cap Trafalgar during WWI. Cap Trafalgar was cunningly disguised as a British ship at the time. Unfortunately, she was disguised as Carmania, which rather gave the ruse away!

• Like 2

If Cunard ever built another ocean liner I'd love to see names like Mauretania or Aquitania thrown into the mix, but naming a cruise ship after the famous Atlantic greyhounds doesn't really fit for me.  

Lucania was the first ever ship to do a around the world cruise, that could be fitting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_P said:

If Cunard ever built another ocean liner I'd love to see names like Mauretania or Aquitania thrown into the mix, but naming a cruise ship after the famous Atlantic greyhounds doesn't really fit for me.  

Lucania was the first ever ship to do a around the world cruise, that could be fitting. 

The second Franconia was particularly known for her round-the-world cruises, so that would be another possibility, if Cunard decided to abandon the Queen branding.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

An interesting ship, but not quite as interesting as her sister, Carmania, which had the privilege of sinking the German SMS Cap Trafalgar during WWI. Cap Trafalgar was cunningly disguised as a British ship at the time. Unfortunately, she was disguised as Carmania, which rather gave the ruse away!

That must have surprised the people on the bridge of the Carmania when they spotted her. According to my book on ship sinkings, that was the only former passenger ship sunk by another former passenger ship.

1 minute ago, Clewgarnet said:

Or, way back in the mists of time, there was the British Queen, which is a nice, all-encompassing, generic name!

British Queen somehow sounds rather like the sort of names local paddle steamers that gave pleasure trips along the coast used to have, although it isn’t actually one. Now Solent Queen probably is an actual name, but would do quite nicely.

• Like 1