What could Cunard name a hypothetical fifth ship?

Clewgarnet

4 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Or, way back in the mists of time, there was the British Queen, which is a nice, all-encompassing, generic name!

And would be just about the only thing "British" about her, too.

Maybe they need to bring back CUNARD COUNTESS, CUNARD PRINCESS and CUNARD ADVENTURER which actually garnered quite a bit of loyality over the years especially the first two with British passengers.  

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Since this is an imaginary ship at this time, how about Queen Mab? 🙃

Isn’t she the one who sends you to sleep and gives you happy dreams that don’t come true?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_P said:

I think Queen Isabella has a nice ring to it.

Is Queen Isabella the Queen of Spain who gave Christopher Columbus the 3 ships that he discovered America? the names of the 3 ships were the Nina, Pinta and the Santa Maria

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Of what? For me, being on a Cunard ship is a dream that does come true.

The dream of a fifth ship.

I would be rather gobsmacked if Carnival Corp. signed off on Cunard running five ships.

10 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For some of us, QA did not live up to our dreams of a Cunarder. 

When the Queen Anne goes back to the shipyard for her 1st refit, they should hang paintings of Cunard ships all over the ship and place models of Cunard ships in many areas of the Queen Anne

• Like 2

The name Britannia would have been a most logical choice as it was the name of Cunard's first steamer built in 1840 by founder Samuel Cunard from Halifax NS (now part of Canada) but P&O took the name for their new 144,000t flagship liner (a Royal class ship design for Princess Cruises) that entered service in 2015. 

The name for P&O's Britannia was announced on 24 September 2013 and has some historical importance for P&O, as there have been two previous ships named Britannia connected with the company. The first entered service in 1835 for the General Steam Navigation Company, which went on to become the Peninsular Steam Navigation Company. The second, which entered service in 1887, was one of four ships ordered by the company to mark the golden jubilee of both Queen Victoria and P&O itself. 

1 minute ago, Cruise Liner Fan said:

When the Queen Anne goes back to the shipyard for her 1st refit, they should hang paintings of Cunard ships all over the ship and place models of Cunard ships in many areas of the Queen Anne

They can do that incrementally without her having to go in for a refit.

I did not see any nod in the way of artwork to Cunard's historic past (or any Royal connections) on QA this past two weeks except for the huge backdrop grand lobby 3D artwork which was pretty cool and impressive albeit minimalist. 

The name Queen Anne was not ever to be my choice for a new Cunard liner but it has grown on me...
Queen Marmite could also be applied in her case LOL.

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And it doesn't have to be all over the ship. Start with the Commodore Club, perhaps. 

I think that is the room I would least want them to change. They could put a couple of models in, I suppose.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think that is the room I would least want them to change. They could put a couple of models in, I suppose.

I remember seeing a model of the first Queen Mary aboard the QM2. Why does it seem that model of the first Queen Mary was taken off the QM2 because I can't find it anywhere aboard the QM2 but at least there is that painting of the first Queen Mary about to dock at her New York pier that is located in QM2's Grand Lobby

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

49 minutes ago, Cruise Liner Fan said:

Is Queen Isabella the Queen of Spain who gave Christopher Columbus the 3 ships that he discovered America? the names of the 3 ships were the Nina, Pinta and the Santa Maria

Also the name of the queen consort wife of Edward II who went on to overthrow her own husband.

I vote for going back to using Latin regions for the name of a new ship. But to gain the interest of the younger crowd, how about the RMS/MS Bridgerton? Theme nights on that ship would be a doozy!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim_P said:

Also the name of the queen consort wife of Edward II who went on to overthrow her own husband.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

And who could blame her?

Queen Edward?

Don't worry... I would be astonished if Carnival invests further in Cunard, HAL or Princess in the near future. If ever.  Costa seems a write-off already and I would not be surprised if one of these three follows.  Having lines of old and now irrelevent history and tradition is not compatible with cruise marketing today hence the deliberate "Cunard Lite" that QUEEN ANNE represents. And why she has no visual reference to Cunard heritage. And won't, either. Same thing now with HAL.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

There is only one and one name only that would be suitable-

QUEEN CAMILLA! Popular or not- and from the point of view hereabouts she get´s more popular by the month- she is the Queen now- there is that.

She endures Grumpy Kings outbursts - so for that alone she deserves to get a ship named after her.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

There is only one and one name only that would be suitable-

QUEEN CAMILLA! Popular or not- and from the point of view hereabouts she get´s more popular by the month- she is the Queen now- there is that.

She endures Grumpy Kings outbursts - so for that alone she deserves to get a ship named after her.

I'm a huge Queen Camilla fan. I won't start an alternative tangent by listing her qualities but she is amazing but as amazing as she us, no for a ship's name. The other ships have solid names and Camilla is too 'frothy' for want of a better word.

I have no idea if Carnival will eventually add a replacement to any ship they retire but if they do, it will be a ship to go forward for the times.

Not Cunard 'lite'.

Just Cunard.

• Like 3