Slow service on large ships?

Slugsta

My friends are currently on Britannia, their first P+O cruise for a couple of years. They had terrible service in Sindhu last night (2 hours from booked time until they got their starters) and are wondering whether this is now the norm on the bigger ships.

We did Iona last year but otherwise tend to stick to the adult only ships so can't answer the question!

Have I misread your post  🤔Are you actually saying your friends SAT in the restaurant for TWO HOURS at their table before the starter arrived.

Don't believe it .   

• Like 4

We don't consider Britannia a big ship now, carrying a couple of thousand less passengers than the newer ones. 

That aside, we haven't had any service issues at all on Britannia apart from the odd struggle to get a drink in Brodies when the football was on. 

School holidays may be the issue?

That certainly shouldn't be the norm, especially for a speciality restaurant... 

Andy 

• Like 2

We were on Britannia last September and had no issues. 

On the first week of our cruise in January on Azura service by the pool was very slow, but picked up in the second week. Also having sailed on both Iona and Arvia we have had no issues getting served.

Posted (edited)

Never had an issue on Britannia (not that I feel it’s that big). Iona has been variable but mostly good service-wise (Easter hols, Xmas hols).

Arvia recently was pretty poor in that respect though: mainly, I think, as it was ram packed. The bar around the Atrium floor was slow - as was The Crow’s Nest most evenings (oh I wish kids were barred in there but that’s another story). Speciality restaurants had a great service but the MDR we used had very poor service and had an air of chaos each time. I think if they’re going to jam-pack folk in and not be able to strategise properly in key pressure-point venues and at key times, this is going to keep happening.

Edited by Camberley

Thanks for all your input. It's good to hear that this is not the new norm.

Yes, my friends were kept waiting for their pre-booked table, then a long wait for starters to appear. I believe them for 2 reasons - firstly, because I know the people concerned; secondly because we were messaging each other while they were waiting!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purplesea said:

We were on Britannia last September and had no issues. 

On the first week of our cruise in January on Azura service by the pool was very slow, but picked up in the second week. Also having sailed on both Iona and Arvia we have had no issues getting served.

Inside the ships, Britannia and Arvia we haven't noticed any slow service. On deck the waiters have tended to be a bit sparse,  so we walk up to the bar our very selves and get our own. Not too proud to do that. On the plus side if you drink your illicit can of diet coke that you had in your cabin, nobody will notice.

Having been on Britannia, Iona and Arvia for 8 cruises in the last 18 months i can confirm that  the service on these three ships has been exceptional.  

• Like 2

Last time I was on Britannia was a couple of years ago and I found that service in Sindhu was somewhat slow, but not two hours slow, but in their defence they were still suffering from staff shortages post the shutdown.

Once it gets to an hour from ordering its time to consider leaving, advise staff you have been waiting a long time and if food doesn't arrive within 15 minutes you will leave.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

Inside the ships, Britannia and Arvia we haven't noticed any slow service. On deck the waiters have tended to be a bit sparse,  so we walk up to the bar our very selves and get our own. Not too proud to do that. On the plus side if you drink your illicit can of diet coke that you had in your cabin, nobody will notice.

I sent OH to the bar for drinks. You don't keep a dog and bark yourself!🤣

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Slugsta said:

Thanks for all your input. It's good to hear that this is not the new norm.

Yes, my friends were kept waiting for their pre-booked table, then a long wait for starters to appear. I believe them for 2 reasons - firstly, because I know the people concerned; secondly because we were messaging each other while they were waiting!

Your post gave the impression that your friends had 'previously arrived at their booked table' sat down and then 'had to wait' two hours for their starters . 

You didn't make it clear that when they arrived at the restaurant for a table 'pre booked' it was probably 'already occupied' with other diners who took their time finishing their meal .   

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Your post gave the impression that your friends had 'previously arrived at their booked table' sat down and then 'had to wait' two hours for their starters . 

You didn't make it clear that when they arrived at the restaurant for a table 'pre booked' it was probably 'already occupied' with other diners who took their time finishing their meal .   

Or perhaps the earlier diners had experienced very slow service. In any event having had to wait for some time for a pre-booked table you would expect to be served promptly to make up for the wait, or is that asking for too much?

Edited by david05
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, daiB said:

Having been on Britannia, Iona and Arvia for 8 cruises in the last 18 months i can confirm that  the service on these three ships has been exceptional.  

On Arvia we were a bit pushed for tile. We had a booking for 710 at 8.30pm. We placed our order in the MDR and I said to the waiter ' we will just have  starter and main as we need to be out of here in an hour'. Order dessert sir, I'll push your order through'. No complaints at all from us, but TBH pool service is a bit lacking, but it's not really very important.

Not sure if it was a one off or is going to be a regular thing. On Iona this month in Brodies at lunch time on port days you had to go to the bar to get served. There were small cards on all tables stating this venue is now like a British Pub with no waiter service so please go to the bar. Although the same bar staff were there wandering about with nothing to do.

13 hours ago, Slugsta said:

So how long were they kept waiting for the table, and how long between being seated and the food arriving? An hour for each?

Sorry, but I really cannot believe anyone would have been kept waiting until say 9pm for a table booked for 8pm and then would sit there without saying anything until 10pm before food arrived.

Either your acquaintances are doormats or they are exaggerating.

• Haha 4

Sounds as if it was me who exaggerated. The timeline was - 20 minute wait for table, further 20 minutes for drinks to arrive, starter arrived after 1.5 hr following complaints to waiter and maitre 'd.

Dined in Sindhu on Brittania back in May with no issues. Food and service was good.

Currently on Arvia and dined in Sindhu about five nights ago. It was a totally different experience. Service was exceptionally slow to the exasperation of all diners. Dirty plates left on tables for a good 45 between courses. Following numerous complaints more experienced staff were brought in and started admonishing the wait staff. Was uncomfortable viewing but near 3 hours for a dinner is a tad excessive. Food wasn’t of the same standard either. Other than one slow night in a MDR the service overall has so far been good. 

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

Sounds as if it was me who exaggerated.

Fair enough.

The timeline was - 20 minute wait for table,

Not good, but not terrible.

further 20 minutes for drinks to arrive,

Again, not good, but not terrible.

starter arrived after 1.5 hr following complaints to waiter and maitre 'd

Sorry!

Assuming you mean that the 1.5 hour started after sitting down, really? Really?

How long did they sit there before saying anything - 30 minutes? An hour? More?

Then how long after involving the head waiter did the food arrive, because if it wasn't instantly then I would be very surprised.

And I guess that the whole thing including drinks was on the house.

One glass of wine each on the house, the rest they paid for.

After being delayed by 20 minutes sitting down and then waiting 90 minutes for any food to arrive.

As before, they are either doormats or they are exaggerating,

It sounds like their order had been forgotten. Would anyone really sit in a restaurant for 90 minutes without receiving any food (1hr 10 mins after the last service of any kind) and not say anything? It's the restaurants fault, but still, you have to speak up!

Always found the speed of service in bars to be a bit hit and miss regardless of ship size

If you fall lucky you can find a server immediately or walk up to the bar when it’s quiet. Generally the pool bars on all ships on seadays are hard to get served/noticed

Emerald Bar on Iona was a particular problem for us, trying to hunt down a waiter or have to join a long queue at the bar