Oceania Country Club Casual Question

Volterra24

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I think (s)he means the bags which can be attached to a home vacuum to remove air making a tight, flat, and compressed package. Clothing in such a package will not move or rub against others so the wrinkling is reduced. Fabric-on-fabric is the thing that causes wrinkling in packing clothing.

I cover my good clothing in launderer plastic bags to reduce such contact. Not as compact as the vacuum process.

What I always wonder about is what do you use to compress them when packing on the ship. I'm pretty sure they're not going to get you a vacuum cleaner. 

Actually, our room steward has brought us a vacuum that worked perfect for this...we had all of the bags packed and ready and it took about 5 minutes to compress everything...

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

the bags which can be attached to a home vacuum to remove air making a tight, flat, and compressed package.

Thanks. I was only familiar with the kind that you roll up and force the air out.

56 minutes ago, basor said:

Actually, our room steward has brought us a vacuum that worked perfect for this...we had all of the bags packed and ready and it took about 5 minutes to compress everything...

I stand corrected. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 8:58 PM, clo said:

She mentioned jacketS - plural. If it's just for fashion I'd take one. I also travel - land or sea - with two pairs of shoes. For specialty restaurants Bob wears a long sleeved 'dress shirt.' Not solid color, a check or stripe. 

I bring pashmina shawls/wraps because they take very little space. Also, when we went to Alaska last September with bulkier clothing, I found compression packing cubes very helpful. This cruise we should be cooler in parts of Joan, but Vietnam is going to be hot. I made my husband take sports coat about 10 years ago and it was totally not needed. One thing we enjoy about Oceania is the nice casual dress code.

2 hours ago, mamaclark said:

I bring pashmina shawls/wraps because they take very little space. Also, when we went to Alaska last September with bulkier clothing, I found compression packing cubes very helpful. This cruise we should be cooler in parts of Joan, but Vietnam is going to be hot. I made my husband take sports coat about 10 years ago and it was totally not needed. One thing we enjoy about Oceania is the nice casual dress code.

We went to Antarctica a few years ago. It was in the 50s there. Inside a number of us wore shorts.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:10 PM, clo said:

So you roll up the bags?

Yep, the roll up ones are what I use.  I have them in every size, including the XL which I use for DH’s clothes, so I can slide a jacket in and then lay his trousers, shirts, polos on top. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2024 at 7:31 AM, tarhoosier said:

I think (s)he means the bags which can be attached to a home vacuum to remove air making a tight, flat, and compressed package. Clothing in such a package will not move or rub against others so the wrinkling is reduced. Fabric-on-fabric is the thing that causes wrinkling in packing clothing.

I cover my good clothing in launderer plastic bags to reduce such contact. Not as compact as the vacuum process.

No, I don’t mean the ones that you need a vacuum to extract the air from.  The roll up ones work perfectly well for clothing.  I’d only use the vacuum cleaner extraction ones for really large items like duvets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1