Cigars neat Cruise Port?

5 hours ago, STLCARDS82 said:

Hi, does anybody know of a place near Canada place to buy cigars preferably Cubans... asking for a friend!!

There are several and they are incredibly expensive.  CAN highly "sin" taxes to pay for their universal healthcare.  IMO Cuban cigars are highly overrated and sell for the high price only due to the "mystic."      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

There are several and they are incredibly expensive.  CAN highly "sin" taxes to pay for their universal healthcare.  IMO Cuban cigars are highly overrated and sell for the high price only due to the "mystic."      

"Mystique"?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, STLCARDS82 said:

Hi, does anybody know of a place near Canada place to buy cigars preferably Cubans... asking for a friend!!

Depending on your ship, Cuban, as well as other cigars can sometimes be purchased on board for much less than you can shoreside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Depending on your ship, Cuban, as well as other cigars can sometimes be purchased on board for much less than you can shoreside. 

Wow, I haven't seen Cuban cigars for sale onboard in about 20 years.  I do recall doing a Med cruise on a RCL ship in 1996 where the ship had the best cigar bar ever; all dark wood and leather, great whisky, with a fake fireplace.  The waitress even lit our cigars for us using a cedar skewer.  Now days it seems cigar bars are relegated to a windy deck that you can't find.  I did find a cigar shop in Vancouver, BC that will ship Cuban cigars to you in the US.  Apparently, they drive them across to the US and mail them to avoid CBP.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Wow, I haven't seen Cuban cigars for sale onboard in about 20 years.

The QM2 has them as does Seabourn and I'm sure some of the other boutique lines. I would assume mainly because they regularly sail to places where they aren't embargoed. Honestly though a Dominican Cohiba or La Aroma de Cuba from Nicaragua can be as good or better than an actual Cuban. 

26 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Apparently, they drive them across to the US and mail them to avoid CBP. 

You can also buy Cuban cigars legally in the US-- they just have to come from tobacco that predates the embargo. I thought this was nuts when I heard it but there were large amounts of unrolled tobacco that was taken out of Cuba at the time and it is stored and rolled here in the US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

The QM2 has them as does Seabourn and I'm sure some of the other boutique lines. I would assume mainly because they regularly sail to places where they aren't embargoed. Honestly though a Dominican Cohiba or La Aroma de Cuba from Nicaragua can be as good or better than an actual Cuban. 

You can also buy Cuban cigars legally in the US-- they just have to come from tobacco that predates the embargo. I thought this was nuts when I heard it but there were large amounts of unrolled tobacco that was taken out of Cuba at the time and it is stored and rolled here in the US. 

Interesting about the pre-embargo tobacco.  I totally agree with you there are much better cigars than those from Cuba.  My personal fav is a Monte Cristo.  We haven't done a European ocean cruise in a long time so you're probably correct about that.  Our last cruise in Europe was a river cruise in south of France and I can't recall seeing any cigars for sale.     

1 minute ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Our last cruise in Europe was a river cruise in south of France and I can't recall seeing any cigars for sale.     

Some lines just don't have them for policy reasons but others have gotten much sneakier about selling them over the years. Where they used to be listed on menus and available in prominently displayed humidors or shops previously onboard nowadays they are hidden away and you have to ask for them even on the lines that do sell them. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 8:19 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Except for the high-end Coiba and others like Fidel smoked are still pretty good!!!

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

or a good Swisher Sweet with a tumbler of Boone's Farm.  

When I was in the army, everybody that would go to the field, but I always be smoking Swishers!!

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

or a good Swisher Sweet with a tumbler of Boone's Farm.  

You don't really drink that high-end Boone Farm do you now ?you gotta get into Maddog  2020 Orange jubilee!!

• Haha 1