Live(ish) Millennium Japan 19th Aug review

villauk

3 hours ago, villauk said:

FYI, do bring the bite cream as I’ve been bitten so many times on the cruise that I’ve lost count. I must have some really sweet blood, or smell very tasty 😂.

Never fails to amaze me how I am the only member of the family who gets bitten and I am the one who is the most careful about putting on the repellent. As you say, we must have sweet blood…

Sincere best wishes to you all for a safe flight home and thank you for a wonderful vicarious holiday!

Interesting re the negative comments you have heard.

I don’t think that Celebrity helps by mixing and matching information and pictures on its website. Unless you read the captions under pictures it is easy to think that all ships have a Retreat Deck and that all ships have lots of speciality restaurants. Add in a good dose of ‘lazy bookers’ who do no research about the ship and then are shocked that despite M class being in good condition and clean it is dated and they are disappointed. Indeed this can happen on the new ships too. We met a couple who were horrified by the size of the RS balcony on Edge. Typically on the generic RS photos it shows the S class RS balcony. Like you, I wouldn’t cross out an itinerary because it is M class but I prefer the extra restaurants and flow of S class!

I also think others may have found aspects of your cruise difficult too. The heat, the crowds, perhaps a lot of getting on/off coaches (if they had booked generic tours) or perhaps expecting they could just ‘get off the ship and see Japan’ at each port and just walk back on the ship again. 

Part of any experience is in the ‘eye of the beholder’…You knew what Millie was like, you were prepared and super well planned for long hard touring days…Perhaps others less so.

Then there are always those whose glass is ‘half empty’ on a cruise… too hot/too cold, too busy/too quiet…I am sure all of us who have cruised world wide have a plethora of stories where they have heard declarations like “No one spoke English” “We were going to lunch out but all the food was foreign” and my favourite ever overheard on a Norwegian cruise “It’s just all mountains and water”….

Once again, safe onward journey and sincere thanks for letting me enjoy Japan from my comfortable armchair…

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Never fails to amaze me how I am the only member of the family who gets bitten and I am the one who is the most careful about putting on the repellent. As you say, we must have sweet blood…

Sincere best wishes to you all for a safe flight home and thank you for a wonderful vicarious holiday!

Interesting re the negative comments you have heard.

I don’t think that Celebrity helps by mixing and matching information and pictures on its website. Unless you read the captions under pictures it is easy to think that all ships have a Retreat Deck and that all ships have lots of speciality restaurants. Add in a good dose of ‘lazy bookers’ who do no research about the ship and then are shocked that despite M class being in good condition and clean it is dated and they are disappointed. Indeed this can happen on the new ships too. We met a couple who were horrified by the size of the RS balcony on Edge. Typically on the generic RS photos it shows the S class RS balcony. Like you, I wouldn’t cross out an itinerary because it is M class but I prefer the extra restaurants and flow of S class!

I also think others may have found aspects of your cruise difficult too. The heat, the crowds, perhaps a lot of getting on/off coaches (if they had booked generic tours) or perhaps expecting they could just ‘get off the ship and see Japan’ at each port and just walk back on the ship again. 

Part of any experience is in the ‘eye of the beholder’…You knew what Millie was like, you were prepared and super well planned for long hard touring days…Perhaps others less so.

Then there are always those whose glass is ‘half empty’ on a cruise… too hot/too cold, too busy/too quiet…I am sure all of us who have cruised world wide have a plethora of stories where they have heard declarations like “No one spoke English” “We were going to lunch out but all the food was foreign” and my favourite ever overheard on a Norwegian cruise “It’s just all mountains and water”….

Once again, safe onward journey and sincere thanks for letting me enjoy Japan from my comfortable armchair…

Thank you for following along and bringing some wise words of wisdom 😉.

• Like 1

I think people also need to do their own research too. Thats what pre planning is all about. There are so many online resources that I think I know exactly what to expect. Both on the ship and onshore. Hopefully not the heat in April May although last year we toured the Middle East on a cruise (Egypt, Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia) and the temp was 40c most days and we did ok. I think it's the awful humidity. 

Thankyou  for your Fab report. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villauk said:

This was for the port of Hakodate regarding the taxis. If thats what you’re referring to, then yes 👍.

If you mean to Yokohama, that’s also a yes from what we saw when we boarded. If it’s any different, I’ll let you know after tomorrow when we disembark 👍.

Thanks! Yes. At Yokohama is what I meant.

4 hours ago, villauk said:

@monkey@cruise and anyone else on the next sailing, if you’re interested the CD, Nate, is leaving for vacation when we disembark. Sorry, he didn’t say who was replacing him.

@villauk

i am stuck in Kyoto, Shinkansen all shut down till 3rd September, I need my TA contact celebrity where I can board the ship, seems the storm is approach Osaka and Kobe

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

@villauk

i am stuck in Kyoto, Shinkansen all shut down till 3rd September, I need my TA contact celebrity where I can board the ship, seems the storm is approach Osaka and Kobe

Oh no! Is there no other way to get to Yokohama other than Shinkansen? Hope you get something sorted - what a stress 😣 You have been so helpful to so many of us asking questions about Japan travel, I know lots of people are wishing you luck! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

@villauk

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. Hopefully your TA will arrange for you to board at a later port. We are rocking and rolling again like crazy onboard. We’re obviously on the fringes of the wind and rain storm by the feel of it. Currently, we’re 70 miles away from Yokohama, doing 13.5 knots.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

@villauk

Saw this info shared elsewhere. See copy and paste below. Hope it helps to get a Downline Request.

**UPDATE** I was able to speak with a Celebrity rep. First of all, he stated there were no current 'alerts' on their end for this cruise. Secondly, he said that if we have to miss embarkation day we can call the emergency contact line at 305-539-4107 to get approval for a 'Downline Request. They will review your reason, but if approved, they will allow you to embark at the next port (Kobe).
 Hi all, we're on the upcoming Japan cruise and scheduled to arrive on 8/30 (embarkation

45 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

@villauk

Take care…all the very best…

1 hour ago, StopTheWorld said:

Oh no! Is there no other way to get to Yokohama other than Shinkansen? Hope you get something sorted - what a stress 😣 You have been so helpful to so many of us asking questions about Japan travel, I know lots of people are wishing you luck! 

The typhoon is moving from Hiroshima towards Osaka, the ship may not able to dock.Kobe or Osaka, maybe the captain will do the north route to Hakodate instead Kobe and Osaka.  I either take shelter on land or onboard, I feel on land is safer. 

IMG_0104.thumb.png.0042796a390531fc278f943b3709dc2a.png

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

@villauk

Im sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out for you.  I'm thinking there are many in your situation. 

1 hour ago, DebDuh said:

Saw this info shared elsewhere. See copy and paste below. Hope it helps to get a Downline Request.

**UPDATE** I was able to speak with a Celebrity rep. First of all, he stated there were no current 'alerts' on their end for this cruise. Secondly, he said that if we have to miss embarkation day we can call the emergency contact line at 305-539-4107 to get approval for a 'Downline Request. They will review your reason, but if approved, they will allow you to embark at the next port (Kobe).
 Hi all, we're on the upcoming Japan cruise and scheduled to arrive on 8/30 (embarkation

Thanks you the information,

• Like 1

Too much rain from Shimizu to Tokyo area. That’s why the Shinkansen suspend operation. Kyoto is dry and partly sunny, if I can get the downline request, travel from Kyoto to Kobe is one hour and still have train services.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

6 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I got approve to board the ship at Kobe on 2nd September. yuppy 

Sorry to hear you are having this difficult due to the weather who would have thought!! Good news you can board in Kobe👍. Keep safe, positive and if possible keep posting you have such a good attitude. We have taken your advise and booked 5 night in Kyoto. 

8 hours ago, villauk said:

We are rocking and rolling again like crazy onboard. We’re obviously on the fringes of the wind and rain storm by the feel of it. Currently, we’re 70 miles away from Yokohama, doing 13.5 knots.

Hopefully you are now safely back in Yokohama. I have enjoyed your wonderful and positive report. It has been so helpful to our upcoming cruise next April. You are all so blessed to be able to travel with your grown up children. Sounds like you all have had a fantastic time together. Safe travels home and I look forward to your final thoughts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Sorry to hear you are having this difficult due to the weather who would have thought!! Good news you can board in Kobe👍. Keep safe, positive and if possible keep posting you have such a good attitude. We have taken your advise and booked 5 night in Kyoto. 

Thanks @Provence55always

Because Kyoto is inland, not getting much rain as coastal cities. Waiting Celebrity protocol on Kobe embankment. So many tourists in Kyoto when Shinkansen shut down, the whole station was full of panicked tourists like a disaster zone. Hotels are very accommodating, let everyone extend the stay because no one can leave or leave.

9 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I got approve to board the ship at Kobe on 2nd September. yuppy 

Brilliant news. Fingers crossed all goes well for the rest if your cruise.

2 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Hopefully you are now safely back in Yokohama. I have enjoyed your wonderful and positive report. It has been so helpful to our upcoming cruise next April. You are all so blessed to be able to travel with your grown up children. Sounds like you all have had a fantastic time together. Safe travels home and I look forward to your final thoughts.

Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful time next April.

10 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Thanks @Provence55always

Because Kyoto is inland, not getting much rain as coastal cities. Waiting Celebrity protocol on Kobe embankment. So many tourists in Kyoto when Shinkansen shut down, the whole station was full of panicked tourists like a disaster zone. Hotels are very accommodating, let everyone extend the stay because no one can leave or leave.

Glad to hear the hotels have been accommodating. Please let us know how it goes over the next few days. Thank you for all your help and assistance for our wonderful time in Japan.