Has Viking airfare gotten too expensive?

leishirsute

5 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

The Viking airfare quoted to American customers is the same no matter where in the country you're flying from - and so by necessity it is averaging out prices that otherwise have quite a lot of variation.

Not true at all. Try price & build on a Med cruise first using Newark airport (EWR) then Albany airport (ALB) for the same cruise. At least $100 more pp for Albany. Also true for other destinations - maybe all. These airports are less than 4 hours from each other.

There is another factor that goes into the cost of flights, government subsidy.

Five years ago we did a last minute booking Vancouver to Los Angeles on Princess, The flights to Vancouver on Air Canada were $39!  I suspect that had something to do with the last minute to fill the ship and perhaps mass purchased tickets which would go empty.  There might have been a subsidy to get tourists to Vancouver in September and that we were going to spend two nights in hotel.

Today, given the depressed Yen, the Japanese government might subsidize flight to get Americans to come to Japan to spend money.

2 hours ago, leishirsute said:

We do economy also.I was just surprised to see VIking charging $1500pp for the same destination and dates that this year costs max of $900. I know pricing is unpredictable, but don't expect airfare to rise that much.  If anything, I expect it to decrease.

And just what leads you to that conclusion?  And are you talking about published fares from the airlines, or for the pricing for Viking air?  Big difference between the two, so let's know what you are talking about before debating the underlying topic.

Talking about much higher fare prices quoted by Viking for some itineraries compared to the airlines.  However, I must admit I don't know what the fares will be in 2025 until a few months from now.