Cunard shuttles British Isles

Live a little

Good evening we are sailing on QM2 on August 30th 2024 having taken up the Cunard fare. I’d like to hear of passengers experiences in using the shuttle buses if any from: 

South Queensferry to Edinburgh 

Invergorden to Inverness

Greenock to Glasgow

Liverpool to the centre

Thanks you 

😎

9 minutes ago, Live a little said:

Good evening we are sailing on QM2 on August 30th 2024 having taken up the Cunard fare. I’d like to hear of passengers experiences in using the shuttle buses if any from: 

Invergorden to Inverness

Greenock to Glasgow

Liverpool to the centre

Thanks you 

😎

Don’t know about the others, but no need for a shuttle in Liverpool, unless you have serious mobility probs.

30 minutes ago, Live a little said:

Invergorden to Inverness

Greenock to Glasgow

Liverpool to the centre

Thanks you 

😎

Greenock to Glasgow.

I have no passenger experience but did live in the region for over 58 years. And made a ship visit to Royal Princess using these routes in 1999. The Scotrail Timetable for the route is here: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/media/31665/download?inline

Greenock West Station is just under a mile from the port and is walkable in about 20 mins if you are fit, but a taxi will not be that expensive and take less than 5 minutes.

Trains are every 30 mins from 08:32 and take around 35 minutes to Glasgow Central, which is right in the centre of Glasgow. Trains back are at 5 mins past and 35 mins past each hour and take about the same time. Get phone numbers from the taxi on way to Glasgow in case there isn't one at the station on way back. I would look up local taxi numbers in advance. Not the worldwide generic type but those of local operators. Try phoning them, if they don't sound Scottish it's unlikely that that they're local! The base numbers probably start 01475.

I don't know if using shuttle buses guarantee getting back for boarding time but they are probably slower than the train, and the M8 motorway at certain times of day can be a nightmare.

2 hours ago, Live a little said:

Invergorden to Inverness

Greenock to Glasgow

Liverpool to the centre

Thanks you 

😎

For Edinburgh, by far the easiest option is to take the X99 Cruiselink bus (https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/). 

The £12 ticket gives both a return to George Street (the stop is outside The Dome https://maps.app.goo.gl/a4E838WJJjGawL6s9) and free access to every Edinburgh City bus, the Edinburgh Tram, and any bus operated by Lothian's sister companies to the East or West of the city.

South Queensferry pier is only 500 metres from Dalmeny rail station. The catch is that this is the station before the mighty Forth Bridge with the rail track thus elevated, so while there is a well marked footpath to the station from sea level, you're clambering up over 100 steps en route. Which probably explains why Dalmeny station code is DAM. 2 or 3 trains an hour to Waverley Station in Edinburgh, it takes 20 minutes, the day return is £5.80. The footpath is right by the east side of the bridge structure, along from Hawes Inn pub. The footpath is marked on Google Maps. The return from Dalmeny Station to the pier is somewhat easier.

No shuttle buses but they do usually put on a 'xxx on your own excursion' to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Can't remember if there was one to Inverness. No need for Liverpool as the terminal is almost central to the city.

You can get a shuttle bus at Invergordon to Inverness, there is a kiosk selling tickets at the port and shuttle bus is 50m away. A lot, and I mean a lot cheaper, than the Cunard "on your own" transfer.

In many cases, such as Dalmeny (for Queensferry) to Edinburgh, I would say take the train, as there are two or three an hour. In Invergordon, lovely as the journey is, do not risk it. There are only three a day, and cancellations are not unknown…

44 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You can get a shuttle bus at Invergordon to Inverness, there is a kiosk selling tickets at the port and shuttle bus is 50m away. A lot, and I mean a lot cheaper, than the Cunard "on your own" transfer.

We used this last month - much cheaper and seems to be led by demand of cruise ship passengers and drop off/pick up in central location in Inverness. 
Greenock to Glasgow - tour bus service at the port terminal exit £10 return compared to I think $59 Cunard Glasgow on your own!

Morning huge thanks to you all for your very informative answers.

We agree with avoiding booking via Cunard - learnt that lesson on our 1st cruise. Looking forward to it last Cunard cruise was in 2018.

I guess we will see some changes on board. 😎

6 minutes ago, Live a little said:

Morning huge thanks to you all for your very informative answers.

We agree with avoiding booking via Cunard - learnt that lesson on our 1st cruise. Looking forward to it last Cunard cruise was in 2018.

I guess we will see some changes on board. 😎

I’m sure there are changes, as you would expect in six years, but in my experience it is really not that different from before Covid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In many cases, such as Dalmeny (for Queensferry) to Edinburgh, I would say take the train, as there are two or three an hour. In Invergordon, lovely as the journey is, do not risk it. There are only three a day, and cancellations are not unknown…

The train is a decent option for Edinburgh, but the OP needs to be confident walking the quite steep (and muddy/slippery if it's been raining) footpath from the pier to Dalmeny Station. The trains have some big gaps after 0900.  Here's this morning from 0800-1200

PlanDep Act Dep
0805 0807¼
0811 0811¾
0822 Cancel
0842 0844¾
0901 0902¾
0941 0944¾
1003 1005
1046 1053
1118 1126½
1145 1147¾

Unlike the train, the X99 bus ticket includes access to every city bus and the tram - ideal for a visit to Britannia or a single stop or two up another Edinburgh hill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

The train is a decent option for Edinburgh, but the OP needs to be confident walking the quite steep (and muddy/slippery if it's been raining) footpath from the pier to Dalmeny Station. The trains have some big gaps after 0900.  Here's this morning from 0800-1200

PlanDep Act Dep
0805 0807¼
0811 0811¾
0822 Cancel
0842 0844¾
0901 0902¾
0941 0944¾
1003 1005
1046 1053
1118 1126½
1145 1147¾

Unlike the train, the X99 bus ticket includes access to every city bus and the tram - ideal for a visit to Britannia or a single stop or two up another Edinburgh hill.

Yes, the bus is clearly a better bet. If one did use the train, given its punctuality/cancellation record, it would be good to allow plenty of time to get back. On the other hand, taking the train and going the other way way, just to go over the wondrous bridge would be a nice thing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

No shuttle buses but they do usually put on a 'xxx on your own excursion' to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Can't remember if there was one to Inverness. No need for Liverpool as the terminal is almost central to the city.

There were "on your own" excursions on QA in May. Definitely Glasgow and Edinburgh. I don't think there was one for Inverness.

50 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There were "on your own" excursions on QA in May. Definitely Glasgow and Edinburgh. I don't think there was one for Inverness.

There was on QA in July to Inverness but was very expensive compared to one bookable at kiosk at port and picked up outside.