New class of ships confirmed to be 225.000 tonnes.

On 8/25/2024 at 2:07 PM, Langham1865 said:

@thetravelingman remember is says new class not Norwegian Prima class, they could be very different in design and more than just slipping in another section

The prima class is of course not an NCL design, but a Fincantieri one. Prima is based on MSC Seaside as ate the Virgin ships.

I belive rival shipyards actually share hull designs. The new 225k NCL ships will almost certainly be a new design, possibly based on the MSC.World class hull.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:12 AM, yakcruiser said:

Too bad they don't announce 4 new 75000-90000 ton ships to replace the Star, Dawn, Sun and Sky. The new behemoth class will be so limited in where they can dock. Especially when most of the cruise ports are complaining of overtourism.

Also more for passengers to do onboard ($) when they cancel ports after final payment.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 11:40 AM, DutchCruiseFan said:

At NCL's Q2 earning presentation, they revealed the new class of ships to come in at approximately 225.000 tonnes. 

I just noticed that Fincantieri are also designing/ building three ships for Carnival at around 230k gt. What's the betting that these share a basic design with NCL's 225k ships, in the same way Prima, Virgin and MSC Seaside do.

49 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

I just noticed that Fincantieri are also designing/ building three ships for Carnival at around 230k gt. What's the betting that these share a basic design with NCL's 225k ships, in the same way Prima, Virgin and MSC Seaside do.

I'm waiting on more information as far as those 230K GT Carnival ships. The rumors suggest a smaller size than ICON OTS but more staterooms and more passengers than ICON. If NCL uses the same architecture as Carnival, I would hope that NCL doesn't have a similar passenger count plus the Haven would take up some space. The non-Haven areas would really feel the squeeze if NCL tried to approach 8,000 total passengers.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm waiting on more information as far as those 230K GT Carnival ships. The rumors suggest a smaller size than ICON OTS but more staterooms and more passengers than ICON. If NCL uses the same architecture as Carnival, I would hope that NCL doesn't have a similar passenger count plus the Haven would take up some space. The non-Haven areas would really feel the squeeze if NCL tried to approach 8,000 total passengers.

NCL said the ships will be nearly 5,000 guests. Here's a snippet from their press release:

image.png.9c30793966a4a2abb38f02c6f0df0fb3.png

Source: https://www.nclhltd.com/news-media/press-releases/detail/590/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-unveils-bold-new-vision-for

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2024 at 5:44 PM, complawyer said:

well please let me know how you father enjoys the cruise. im noit sure how much fun i can have in my mid 80's. by the way, i grew up in detroit,

i got him in his first cruise at 79 and his next cruise is in January (his 15th) a couple of months shy of his 86th birthday. he loves them. 
i do have to push him around in a wheelchair for distance though.

Edited by MSUjohn

5 hours ago, London-Calling said:

These new mega-ships only seem welcome in the Caribbean.

And I think it's only a matter of time before they will wear out their welcome there, too...except for a cruise lines particular private island perhaps. I'm sure they'll pack those puppies right up to the limit...lol...

Just my opinion of course...

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

NCL said the ships will be nearly 5,000 guests. Here's a snippet from their press release:

image.png.9c30793966a4a2abb38f02c6f0df0fb3.png

Source: https://www.nclhltd.com/news-media/press-releases/detail/590/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-unveils-bold-new-vision-for

The good news to this is 5,100 passengers for this class at 225K. Here are some quick compares I pulled on GT vs Capacity:

NCL New Class = 225,000GT

5,100 Double Occupancy/TBD Max

Oasis OTS = 226,838GT

5,606 Double Occupancy/6,699 Max

Carnival New Class = 230,000GT

TBD Double Occupancy/8,000 Max

MSC World Europa = 215,863GT

5,400 Double Occupancy / 6,762 Max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey dan, imho, anything with 4,000 or more is a cluster****.

i wouldnt book on rccl if the fare was free.

I'm sailing on an Oasis Class for the first time this November.  I've only done small/medium sized ships so far but 8k is a lot of people...hopefully I don't hate the bigger ships but time will tell.

• Like 1

just imagine pulling into a port of call with 2-3 other ships of similar size, . read what's

going in in santorini. they are being inundated with cruise ship passengers

for me, no thanks.. 4000 passengers (or my closest friends) is the max for me

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

hey dan, imho, anything with 4,000 or more is a cluster****.

It's funny, a few years back many of us were saying that anything overt 70,000 gt or 2,000 passengers was too big!

It's not the number of passengers that matter, but the space-ratio and the design of the public spaces.

The most crowded ship that I've been on carried 600 passengers. In contrast Oasis is very spacious.

On a small ship all passengers dine in the same resterant, go to the same theatre and the same few public lounges. On mega-ships there are of course multiple venues. Not all the passengers are ever at the same place at the same time.

My longest embarcation was three hours for a ship carrying 2k passengers. Oasis was 25 mins curb to cabin!

I'm not sure why you won't cruise on an RCCL ship. They are no more crowded than any other mass market ship (NCL, Carniva, MSC, P&O etc.) Of course premium and luxuary ships will always be more spacious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, London-Calling said:

It's funny, a few years back many of us were saying that anything overt 70,000 gt or 2,000 passengers was too big!

It's not the number of passengers that matter, but the space-ratio and the design of the public spaces.

The most crowded ship that I've been on carried 600 passengers. In contrast Oasis is very spacious.

On a small ship all passengers dine in the same resterant, go to the same theatre and the same few public lounges. On mega-ships there are of course multiple venues. Not all the passengers are ever at the same place at the same time.

My longest embarcation was three hours for a ship carrying 2k passengers. Oasis was 25 mins curb to cabin!

I'm not sure why you won't cruise on an RCCL ship. They are no more crowded than any other mass market ship (NCL, Carniva, MSC, P&O etc.) Of course premium and luxuary ships will always be more spacious.

As @complawyer observed, the point is not on the ship itself, but at the ports. If you are cruising to cruise that is one thing. However, if you are cruising to visit places, then maybe dumping 8000 people into NYC for a day isn't a big deal, but flooding a place like Santorini is.

47 minutes ago, GALSews said:

As @complawyer maybe dumping 8000 people into NYC for a day isn't a big deal, but flooding a place like Santorini is.

Agreed. There were no particularly long queues to get on or off Oasis, at her Caribbean ports. The swiping of cards was done shore side.

Ironically there was more to eat, drink, see and do onboard the ship that on the Caribbean ports. Some regulars.just stayed onboard and enjoyed the facilities.

Embarkation took just 15 min curb to cabin. Disembarcation was not excessively long either.

I would agree that these megaships should not use regular ports, infrastructure needs to be in place, first.

25 minutes ago, MiniJeffrey said:

Curious how NCL will take on the mega ship designs.

They all want a slice of the multigenerational "thing". I belive the onboard spend on megaships, tends to be higher, per passenger, not to mention the economies of scale.

It's interesting how cruise lines used to get bespoke ships buil, but now they are often clones. OK the livery, decor and branding of internal spaces will be different, but that's all. 

Edited by London-Calling