Nordfjordeid or Alesund ?

We are considering a Norwegian cruise with Holland America in the fall of 2026. I am aware of the changes that will be happening that year as far as fjord access so am hoping maybe a couple of the ports have excursions whereby you can see them.

I am trying to decide between two cruises. They are both the same type ships. They have the exact same itineraries except one goes to Nordfjordeid and the other Alesund. These are also later in the year - one leaves early October, the other mid October, so not sure how that may affect things apart from the weather. 

Any thoughts for those who have been?

Most people would choose Ålesund, but what are your other ports? 

Nordfjordeid are in a rather short fjord, Ålesund are at the coast.... 

From Nordfjordeid you can reach Geiranger by bus, im not sure what options there will be for Geiranger from Ålesund in 2026... Today there are tour boats... 

It can be difficult to provide guidance at this time.
Ålesund is a picturesque coastal town and already an established cruise destination. Nordfjordeid is a small town with fewer options.

Starting in 2026, "Zero Emission Zones" will be introduced in the deep fjords to Flåm and Geiranger, which will lead to a significant reduction in cruise ships that can sail into the fjords to these ports.

This means that many of the cruise lines that want to continue with the "Norwegian Fjords" cruises must find alternatives in the form of ports like Nordfjordeid, and in 2026, there might be significantly more offerings here than there are today.

My first choice of destination would be Ålesund, but I don't know what Nordfjordeid will be able to offer in terms of excursions in 2026.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dctravel said:

Thank you for this informed discussion. We are considering a X cruise next summer with Alesund on the itinerary!

There are many topics where activities and possible excursions in Ålesund are discussed - search for Alesund / Ålesund in this forum.

This is a re ent example - many other topics

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1