Carnival Splendor, Singapore 24 August

I'm on board. The outside of the ship gleams with a new coat of paint after the dry dock.

Inside, you will no doubt be pleased to hear the lift lobbys still are vomiting pink donuts, but the carpet looks new - lurid orange, yellow and maroon patterns. My balcony cabin seems unchanged, still aggressively mushroom pink and orange. Where do they get this stuff from? Still has the same small TV.

Will explore further and report back before I lose my local internet connection.

• Like 4

I still reckon the interior designer was an absolute genius! How on earth they convinced someone to pay them actual money for THAT is beyond me!

I wonder if they still have the giant fried eggs on the ceiling in the MDR. Eventually I twigged that they were supposed to be gold coloured pearls as the restaurant is called, "The Gold Pearl" but they still looked like fried eggs to me. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I'm on board. The outside of the ship gleams with a new coat of paint after the dry dock.

Inside, you will no doubt be pleased to hear the lift lobbys still are vomiting pink donuts, but the carpet looks new - lurid orange, yellow and maroon patterns. My balcony cabin seems unchanged, still aggressively mushroom pink and orange. Where do they get this stuff from? Still has the same small TV.

Will explore further and report back before I lose my local internet connection.

One wonders if the colour scheme was left up to the interior designer's toddler who has a new box of crayons?!! 🤭

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

With that decor, who could even look at food?!😂

I didn't mind the Art Deco style decor in the accommodation passageways, maybe just a bit dark. The food at the Tiger Marsala out aft was pretty good too but it was only open for lunch, the rest was slop. If you can't bake a decent cake there is no hope! I thought there couldn't be a worse decor than all the brown urns on Carnival Legend. There could be a worse decor on a Carnival ship but I'm not willing to try and find it. Imagine what they will be able to do with the hand me down Princess ships that are now part of P&O Ausralia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amaroo Andrew said:

The only thing worse than the decor is the food!

The MDR and 555 food was the highlight of our July Splendor cruise. I loathe queuing upstairs, and will stick to pizza or deli when I have no choice.

Carnival Spirit decor was pretty garish too. The newer ships have moved on a bit, no longer having the Farcas interior designs. His decades of influence are still around, but not as in your face, so I hope that bodes well for the P&O rebrands. You might get a laugh out of this 2008 article:

https://www.rivieramm.com/news-content-hub/news-content-hub/carnival-splendor-is-in-class-of-its-own

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Amaroo Andrew said:

I didn't mind the Art Deco style decor in the accommodation passageways, maybe just a bit dark. The food at the Tiger Marsala out aft was pretty good too but it was only open for lunch, the rest was slop. If you can't bake a decent cake there is no hope! I thought there couldn't be a worse decor than all the brown urns on Carnival Legend. There could be a worse decor on a Carnival ship but I'm not willing to try and find it. Imagine what they will be able to do with the hand me down Princess ships that are now part of P&O Ausralia. 

I'd rather not!! (Imagine, that is).

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The MDR and 555 food was the highlight of our July Splendor cruise. I loathe queuing upstairs, and will stick to pizza or deli when I have no choice.

Carnival Spirit decor was pretty garish too. The newer ships have moved on a bit, no longer having the Farcas interior designs. His decades of influence are still around, but not as in your face, so I hope that bodes well for the P&O rebrands. You might get a laugh out of this 2008 article:

https://www.rivieramm.com/news-content-hub/news-content-hub/carnival-splendor-is-in-class-of-its-own

What's laughable is that Farcas thought his designs were 'Splendid'!🤣

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I still reckon the interior designer was an absolute genius! How on earth they convinced someone to pay them actual money for THAT is beyond me!

I wonder if they still have the giant fried eggs on the ceiling in the MDR. Eventually I twigged that they were supposed to be gold coloured pearls as the restaurant is called, "The Gold Pearl" but they still looked like fried eggs to me. 🤷‍♂️

I believe the fried eggs are still there, along with the burnt fried eggs in the black pearl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rkmw said:

It was mentioned on FB the Barby is gone from deck10

Masala Tiger has moved to deck 10, and an ala carte priced "MadSizzle" BBQ has taken its place. It just seems they want to swap the +$$ BBQ to be in a more prominent location.

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I kept thinking where I had heard the Farcas name and then it twigged. There was a Sid Farkas in Seinfeld and he helped Kramer and Frank Costanza design the Bro (Mansierre)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amaroo Andrew said:

I kept thinking where I had heard the Farcas name and then it twigged. There was a Sid Farkas in Seinfeld and he helped Kramer and Frank Costanza design the Bro (Mansierre)

If you pronounce it a certain way, it explains Splendor's decor to a T.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They've changed the Deli menu as mention fb and have dropped off the only two things we get. Meatball sub things (yum) and hot dogs. Plus they're charging for more food items. Absorbing P&O and morphing into up charging $$ like they do. Not happy. 

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

If you pronounce it a certain way, it explains Splendor's decor to a T.

You could also rearrange a couple of letters - fracas! Well, the decor is certainly a 'disturbance'!

50 minutes ago, Haoie said:

Did they add that Blue Iguana place in drydock?

I am not aware of a Blue Iguana cantina being added on Splendor, but there was already a Blue Iguana tequila bar on the pool deck.

Posted (edited)

I'm on Splendor docked in Jakarta today. The only new thing I've encountered so far is that Masala Tiger has moved upstairs. At first I thought it has been replaced, and was disappointed because it's definitely the best lunchtime food on the ship for no extra cost in my opinion, though I do like some of the Deli offerings too.

Not enough basic internal maintenance has been done in dry dock. There are problems with the lift indicators not working, for example, so you can't tell if the button press has registered and the lift will actually stop on your floor. But overall, the ship does not look too worn internally.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Thanks 1

Back in Australia today, docked in Darwin. It's been a good cruise so far, excellent weather, almost glassy seas.

Another report on Masala Tiger. Not only has it moved upstairs to more spacious surrounds on deck 10, but it is now open for evening meals. However, in the evening you have to pay. Not a lot, you could get two courses for $A20. It must have proved popular with passengers.

• Thanks 1