Free airfare question

Breckski

9 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

The chance of an upset is reduced.

In what way?

10 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Perhaps someone can explain why they would pay for something which  just might be identical to what you can do on your own.

Sure.

First, as you say, it's "just might".

But far more importantly, it is highly likely that you are NOT getting the same tickets that you might when buying yourself.  Perhaps the same dates, times and flights, but the tickets themselves are likely to not be the same.

You may say, "but if it's the same flight, aren't they the same ticket?"  Nope.  Your ticket is more than just the seat and flight.  It's also the fare rules that go along as part of the total ticket.  And given the "free" nature, these will almost certainly be bulk contracted tickets with fare rules different than what you have with a published fare ticket directly from the carrier.

Now, if all goes well, those fare rule difference probably won't matter a bit.  It's when things go sideways that the fare rules can be the gotcha.  The fare rules may prevent the ticket being endorsed over to another carrier.  It may prevent a rerouting through different cities.  It may have additional restrictions that can impede your progress during irops.

So please don't say "identical" when they are not.  Unless you have direct access to the fare rules of the bulk tickets you will be receiving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

In what way?

Sure.

But far more importantly, it is highly likely that you are NOT getting the same tickets that you might when buying yourself.  Perhaps the same dates, times and flights, but the tickets themselves are likely to not be the same.

You may say, "but if it's the same flight, aren't they the same ticket?"  Nope.  Your ticket is more than just the seat and flight.  It's also the fare rules that go along as part of the total ticket.  And given the "free" nature, these will almost certainly be bulk contracted tickets with fare rules different than what you have with a published fare ticket directly from the carrier.

Now, if all goes well, those fare rule difference probably won't matter a bit.  It's when things go sideways that the fare rules can be the gotcha.  The fare rules may prevent the ticket being endorsed over to another carrier.  It may prevent a rerouting through different cities.  It may have additional restrictions that can impede your progress during irops.

So please don't say "identical" when they are not.  Unless you have direct access to the fare rules of the bulk tickets you will be receiving.

I will never...ever be foolish enough to disagree with you on these boards.

Being a long time reader on these boards taught me at least that!

I have about two dozen Viking flights "under my belt" and nothing other than seat changes have annoyed me. Changes in flight schedules affect everyone. 

Yes, Viking deals with a contracted bulk rate in limited sections of the aircraft.

And when things go sideways, people on these boards have written about how well Viking steps in and assists in obtaining new flights.

However, free is free and is worth any risk that may not be out there.

I won't ask what an "irops" is.

11 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

In recent years MVJ has upgraded their airline search capabilities. You can search for a different flight and even a different airport. We live close enough to two major airports where we’ve been able to change flight, assign seats, depart from one and return to another all without using Air Plus. If after Viking assigns flights not to your liking and you’ve search MVJ for alternatives, you can then add Air Plus. No need to start off paying more without a reason.

Well with Air Plus you can pick your flights and seats at 310 days rather than 90.  Granted things will probably change when booking that far out but during busy travel periods you may have a better selection.  You can also keep checking the fare difference for alternatives over the entire period rather than just at 90 days.  

Just to be clear....I have no argument with anyone who likes cruiseline air, and who has had no issues in the past.

My desire is for folks to be informed consumers - to know what they are buying and what are the pluses and minuses for their choices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just to be clear....I have no argument with anyone who likes cruiseline air, and who has had no issues in the past.

My desire is for folks to be informed consumers - to know what they are buying and what are the pluses and minuses for their choices.

And you do an incredible job in explaining the nuances. Thanks for your participation!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:24 PM, FlyerTalker said:

In what way?

Sure.

@FlyerTalker I (or may I say "we" for everyone on CC) so appreciate your explanations as you give us such great information and it makes so much sense.

I was one that a few years ago, did not understand why sometimes I could upgrade to Premium Economy or Business on a Viking free or paid for flight, and sometimes could not.  I have much more understanding now and much of that comes from words of wisdom that you have provided here.

There are so many nuances to flying today and I don't pretend to understand them all, but, I get more than I used to thanks to CC and discussions here.

From another board yesterday, I was reading an individuals complete upset with Air Canada, that because of an AC flight delay, they missed their connection to a WestJet flight.  They could not understand why AC would not do anything for them.  These are two different airlines and the tickets were purchased as separate tickets, not as a connecting itinerary.  AC of course has no responsibility to the missed WestJet flight.  Some folks however don't get these things.

When I don't understand something I go looking for answers.  I have called Viking so many times, but often it starts with an email to tellus@ rather than calling in.  I got a call back recently from one of the most knowledgable Viking Air people I have ever talked to and wow, how she gave me a new perspective on what Viking Air can and cannot do when we have our air - free or paid - through Viking.  

I personally have witnessed Viking working overtime to help passengers hit with air travel challenges, but Viking cannot fix everything and they cannot erase the fact that the passenger may incur more cost when air challenges happen.  Some folks think that when you buy air through Viking they are going to fix and take care of everything.  Not always, they can't always.  They try, but sometimes you might just be left out in the cold, and not intentionally.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:19 PM, 81Zoomie said:

Thanks to all for the recommendations on asking to be ticketed.  Is there any advantage for paying for Air+ to secure better routing, seats, or upgrades?  As I understand it, we have to pay for a variation because we would like to stay a few days at the end of our cruise.  Any strategies either way?

I can't help you on the Air+ as I've never used it, but I can tell you that when my son and I took a Viking (River) cruise this winter, he wanted to stay a while in order to visit Spain after our cruise ended in Amsterdam.  It cost $100 to get his flight home from AMS booked for 10 days after the cruise ended, and then he bought separate tickets (not through Viking AIr) between AMS and Spain.  And his AMS-SFO round trip was free as part of the cruise booking deal, except for the $100 date change fee.  It worked out really well for him. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:17 PM, ericosmith said:

Well with Air Plus you can pick your flights and seats at 310 days rather than 90.  Granted things will probably change when booking that far out but during busy travel periods you may have a better selection.  You can also keep checking the fare difference for alternatives over the entire period rather than just at 90 days.  

Yes, to all of the things that you have said.  

Schedules change, aircraft are changed, seat selection can change, BUT, one thing for sure is that you have a better chance of getting an airline or route and schedule that you want.

The minor changes in schedule that happen are generally not that significant.  We have never had to reroute a trip because of schedule changes as they are generally 15 minutes here or there and if the equipment is changed and results in our seats being changed, we just go back in and select again.

One thing that we look for when booking with Air Plus is at least a 2.5 hour connection time, especially in many of the European airports.  We find more control over this when using Air Plus.

If you are paying Viking for your air, there really are not fare differences to consider using Air Plus unless you are paying for flights that don't fall into Viking contract rates.