Live from Silver Dawn - Copenhagen to Copenhagen, Aug 26 - Sep 5, 2024

PinonNoir

17 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

We had a new Pinot from Germany that was palatable, then switched to what is likely their only decent Rhone wine, which is 60% Syrah, 20% Carignan, and 20% Grenache.  It's produced by Domaine de L'Ostal, and was a 2021.  If I had it to do over again I'd ask them to decant it right off the bat.  I think my new friend Chateaunole-du-pape will be able to stomach it.

I’m sure I would! Probably would have enjoyed having some last night, to deaden the pain of seeing our Noles play so poorly. We actually were so in shock that we didn’t even open a bottle. It’s going to be a long season.

I’ve enjoyed your other blog posts, too. You’re an excellent photographer.

7 minutes ago, Chateaunole-du-pape said:

I’m sure I would! Probably would have enjoyed having some last night, to deaden the pain of seeing our Noles play so poorly. We actually were so in shock that we didn’t even open a bottle. It’s going to be a long season.

I’ve enjoyed your other blog posts, too. You’re an excellent photographer.

You didn't even open a bottle??  Wow...that's serious!  Sorry for your loss...😒

Thanks for the compliment!  Photography was my first hobby back when I was 12 and bought my first Nikon.  I think it would have been detrimental to my future if I had started with wine as a hobby at 12.  That had to wait until I was at least 16!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you are going to Launceston they have a Pinot shop. The fellows are knowledgeable and have a great selection of pinot noirs.

https://www.pinotshop.com/

A good place to eat if in Launceston is Joseph Chromy vineyards.

https://josefchromy.com.au/restaurant/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-rQ5tmniAMVE6lmAh0BhDeWEAAYASAAEgLCaPD_BwE

A quirky place to eat for lunch which i liked but Rojaan not so much is Velo winery.

https://velowines.com.au/

I really like the Barringwood ones.

https://www.barringwood.com.au/Wines/Red

Their best one is basically is the Mill Block for me.The vineyard is near Sheffield.

If you are driving to Port Arthur one of the best restaurants is just a slight detour - Van Bone. We had our 50th Anniversary lunch there. it is close to the Bream Creek vineyard who have some good wines.

I worked on and off in Tasmania for 16 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, drron29 said:

If you are going to Launceston they have a Pinot shop. The fellows are knowledgeable and have a great selection of pinot noirs.

https://www.pinotshop.com/

A good place to eat if in Launceston is Joseph Chromy vineyards.

https://josefchromy.com.au/restaurant/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-rQ5tmniAMVE6lmAh0BhDeWEAAYASAAEgLCaPD_BwE

A quirky place to eat for lunch which i liked but Rojaan not so much is Velo winery.

https://velowines.com.au/

I really like the Barringwood ones.

https://www.barringwood.com.au/Wines/Red

Their best one is basically is the Mill Block for me.The vineyard is near Sheffield.

If you are driving to Port Arthur one of the best restaurants is just a slight detour - Van Bone. We had our 50th Anniversary lunch there. it is close to the Bream Creek vineyard who have some good wines.

I worked on and off in Tasmania for 16 years.

Wow, awesome info. I plan on following as much as I can.  We will be in Launceston and Port Arthur for sure. We are planning on 5 days on the island.  Thanks!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

You didn't even open a bottle??  Wow...that's serious!  Sorry for your loss...😒

Thanks for the compliment!  Photography was my first hobby back when I was 12 and bought my first Nikon.  I think it would have been detrimental to my future if I had started with wine as a hobby at 12.  That had to wait until I was at least 16!

Nope, we finished what little rosé was left from the weekend before kickoff, and then just sat there in annoyed silence. Oh well. NFL starts later this week.

You definitely have the photography skills. I like to think I have a decent eye, but definitely not like that! And I have finally decided that the convenience of taking photos with a cell phone outweighs the superior results I could get with a dedicated camera. We tend to travel mostly with carry-on luggage, and often on a standby basis, so have to be judicious about what we carry...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chateaunole-du-pape said:

Nope, we finished what little rosé was left from the weekend before kickoff, and then just sat there in annoyed silence. Oh well. NFL starts later this week.

You definitely have the photography skills. I like to think I have a decent eye, but definitely not like that! And I have finally decided that the convenience of taking photos with a cell phone outweighs the superior results I could get with a dedicated camera. We tend to travel mostly with carry-on luggage, and often on a standby basis, so have to be judicious about what we carry...

All of my photos are with my cell phone, a Samsung S23 Ultra. I don't see the value in hauling around a big camera when my phone does just fine. It's not the tool, it's how you use it, and I dont need my photos to be professional quality.

The new phones are almost making it idiot proof. Almost!  The disparity in my cellphone photos from six years ago to today is amazing!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chateaunole-du-pape said:

When my team sucks, which they do quite often, I'm never sitting in annoyed silence. I'm usually so verbal that the dog leaves the room, along with the wife!  I applaud your restraint!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

When my team sucks, which they do quite often, I'm never sitting in annoyed silence. I'm usually so verbal that the dog leaves the room, along with the wife!  I applaud your restraint!

Ha, well, I did yell quite a few times. But mostly we were just stunned.

Making up for it tonight. Opened a nice 2018 Madiran to go with pizza. Despite its young age and composition (100% Tannat), it's proving very drinkable, and tannins are surprisingly soft. Need to get back to Costco to buy some more.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

All of my photos are with my cell phone, a Samsung S23 Ultra. I don't see the value in hauling around a big camera when my phone does just fine. It's not the tool, it's how you use it, and I dont need my photos to be professional quality.

The new phones are almost making it idiot proof. Almost!  The disparity in my cellphone photos from six years ago to today is amazing!

The new phone cameras are indeed amazing. We used our Galaxy S22 Ultras on safari in Botswana last year and they were great. I did bring my Nikon with the 500mm zoom lens for those situations where I needed it, but the phones did a great job. For most of our trips post-Covid we have not bothered to bring cameras at all.

Phones have always been really good for landscape photos. But in low light, like taking food pictures in a dim restaurant, I agree with you that the phones take really amazing pictures now. Looking to upgrade later this year and I'm excited to see if the technology is even better than 2 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PinonNoir said:

Well when you see some of these people photographing their burgers on their phones with 6 inch rainbow nails they’re obviously much easier than a dlsr to operate. 😉 I take food pics on holiday too and agree the cameras are much improved in low light.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

Rhone wine, which is 60% Syrah, 20% Carignan, and 20% Grenache

Close to the traditional Rhone blend, which is Grenache, Syrah & Mourvèdre.  Carignan is a Languedoc-Roussillon grape, but as the minor part of the blend might be just fine in a Rhône.  The real surprise is that Syrah is the dominant grape – that should make this a much more forward wine than the usual Côtes du Rhône blend.

My current house wine is Troublemaker from Hope Family Wines in Paso Robles, CA.  It sounds somewhat similar to yours:  "Comprised of varietals that flourish in Paso Robles’ distinct growing region, Troublemaker consists of Syrah, Petite Sirah, Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Zinfandel. Syrah is the backbone of the wine, setting the stage for a fruit-forward style and a full body. Petite Sirah contributes to the deep ruby color. Sweet and bright red fruit flavors of Grenache blend with the rustic and lively flavors of the Mourvèdre, while Zinfandel adds its signature zing to round out the blend."

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new iPhone 16 Pro does as a camera, but so far my 12 Pro can't match the 1" sensor and 400mm zoom of my Lumix FZ1000M2.  Note that it's not an SLR – fixed lens (Leica, 35mm–400mm equivalent) with the latest Panasonic image processing tech.  Not an albatros around my neck (weight = 808 g including batteries – ok, definitely bigger and heavier than the iPhone in my pocket) – but when I process the photos in the Photos app the difference is dramatic.

• Like 1

I've just switched from a big heavy Canon set-up to a fixed lens Leica Q3, currently I think the most wanted and most hated camera in the world.  Does anyone here have a Flickr account and find it blocked on Silversea ships?  Is there a solution?  

Edited by Fletcher

31 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I've just switched from a big heavy Canon set-up to a fixed lens Leica Q3, currently I think the most wanted and most hated camera in the world.  Does anyone here have a Flickr account and find it blocked on Silversea ships?  Is there a solution?  

Full-frame.  Very nice!  But the images must be huge – is that why you are blocked from uploading?

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Full-frame.  Very nice!  But the images must be huge – is that why you are blocked from uploading?

You have three options as to file size, ranging from 16 megapixels to 60 mp.  As to Flickr on the ships, no, I have never been able to get Flickr, not even on my iPhone.  Some people said it's bandwidth and that premium wifi would be the solution.  But reception had premium wifi and they couldn't get it either.  It's a mystery and a frustrating one at that.  

14 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

I also have the S23 ultra. My favorite is the object eraser. 😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Close to the traditional Rhone blend, which is Grenache, Syrah & Mourvèdre.  Carignan is a Languedoc-Roussillon grape, but as the minor part of the blend might be just fine in a Rhône.  The real surprise is that Syrah is the dominant grape – that should make this a much more forward wine than the usual Côtes du Rhône blend.

My current house wine is Troublemaker from Hope Family Wines in Paso Robles, CA.  It sounds somewhat similar to yours:  "Comprised of varietals that flourish in Paso Robles’ distinct growing region, Troublemaker consists of Syrah, Petite Sirah, Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Zinfandel. Syrah is the backbone of the wine, setting the stage for a fruit-forward style and a full body. Petite Sirah contributes to the deep ruby color. Sweet and bright red fruit flavors of Grenache blend with the rustic and lively flavors of the Mourvèdre, while Zinfandel adds its signature zing to round out the blend."

My favorite Paso wines are from Nicora, Torrin, Denner and my newest discovery Carijn!  I highly suggest you get on the Carijn list ASAP...these wines are really excellent!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I also have the S23 ultra. My favorite is the object eraser. 😃

I've definitely used that, but it doesn't always work as well as I'd like!

Today was our last port stop, Skagen, Denmark.  We had a bike ride excursion and the weather was perfect!  I highly recommend doing this if you are able.  You ride about 10 miles on the bikes (not e-bikes BTW) and have a hike of about a mile to the northern most point of Denmark.  You also get to see a few German bunkers that made up the Atlantic Wall during WWII.  Well worthwhile!

We had lunch in Kaiseki again, plenty of room when we got back from our bike ride at 1245.  Excellent as usual!  We then took the shuttle back into town and visited the Skagen Museum, which is focused on the artists who lived and worked in the vibrant arts community in the area in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  Very cool paintings that almost all focused on life in the area, as well as lots of portraits of locals and artists.  I will be posting some of these in my blog post for Skagen, if you are curious.

Tonight is our second time in La Terraza.  I'd like to note that we looked at booking La Terraza a few other times and the only time that was available was 2130...every time!  This restaurant is way too popular, when S.A.L.T. is right there and excellent!  You can lead a horse to water...

Tomorrow is disembarkation day...always my favorite!  I'll post about that process tomorrow evening, and put this "Live from Silver Dawn" thread to bed.  Ok, I'll also post links to my final few cruise posts. 

Thanks to everybody who has commented, added content, laughed at me and made fun of my restaurant choices....it's this community that makes Cruise Critic worthwhile!

Edited by PinonNoir
Apparently you can't write N a z i here?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Does anyone here have a Flickr account and find it blocked on Silversea ships?

Fletcher, I just logged into my Flickr account with no issues.  Maybe the issue has been resolved??

3 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

Fletcher, I just logged into my Flickr account with no issues.  Maybe the issue has been resolved??

By the way, it's really weird to respond to somebody named Fletcher, as that's our sons name.  Pretty rare!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

You have three options as to file size, ranging from 16 megapixels to 60 mp. 

You have other options...just takes some work.

Convert your 45Mb file (appx what you get from 16 megapixels) to a smaller file with any of a number of free file management programs.  I recommend XNView, which is lightweight and easy to use.

Now, you have much more manageable file size, and you still get a good image for Flickr.

La Terraza was excellent again!  I had the Octopus Salad, my wife had the Caprese Salad, and we both had the Duck Ragu pasta.  All of it was excellent!  La Terraza continues to impress!

Now we have to pack and put our s h i t out by 2300.  Ugh!  The price of going on a cruise.

Chris

Edited by PinonNoir
  • Like 1