Live from Silver Dawn - Copenhagen to Copenhagen, Aug 26 - Sep 5, 2024

PinonNoir

5 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

Fletcher, I just logged into my Flickr account with no issues.  Maybe the issue has been resolved??

Well, that's encouraging.  Might I ask what device you used and what browser.  I use a MacBook and Safari.  Someone once suggested Google Chrome and that didn't work.   

Nice to know about another Fletcher.  I chose Fletcher for this site because of the famous mutineer.  Some people assumed it was from the Ronnie Barker TV comedy series.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Well, that's encouraging.  Might I ask what device you used and what browser.  I use a MacBook and Safari.  Someone once suggested Google Chrome and that didn't work.   

Nice to know about another Fletcher.  I chose Fletcher for this site because of the famous mutineer.  Some people assumed it was from the Ronnie Barker TV comedy series.  

I used a Dell laptop and Firefox browser.

We named our son after Fletcher Christian, as that history has always intrigued me, and I have a maritime background. He's only met one other person with the same name.

• Like 1

We've been somewhat busy in Copenhagen the last few days, so I'm finally finding time to write about the disembarkation process.  While getting off our last Oceania cruise was a complete cluster****, this was really seamless.  When they announced our color code to get off, there were maybe two people in front of us at the gangway, as opposed to maybe 50 people under Oceania.  Our bags were right there and easy to grab, and we were in a cab and on our way to our hotel in less than 5 minutes.  Silversea has this down!

A quick issue regarding tips.  I didn't have cash to tip our butler (I had given the remainder of my Norwegian cash to our room attendant), and when I asked at reception they told me they couldn't charge it to my credit card as my account was closed, and this was before their "account closing deadline" of 0800.  Please be sure to have enough cash on hand if you want to tip the appropriate people before departure.

We had dinner at 3 Michelin Star Geranium last night, and it was incredible!!  The food was all excellent, the presentation was artistic and imaginative, and the service was second to none!  This has now surpassed "Ocean" in the Algarve region of Portugal as our best meal ever!  Yes, it's expensive, but for my wife and I it was well worth it!  A perfect night!  Exclamation mark central!!!

I will post my final two blog posts from the cruise.  Let me know if you have any questions about our experiences!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

We were there only 3 days ago on a cruise. We really liked Skagen. Not much there, really, but a charming place nonetheless. 

If you like Impressionist paintings the Skagen Museum was well worth a visit. I think a bike ride around the area is the way to go.

14 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

If you like Impressionist paintings the Skagen Museum was well worth a visit. I think a bike ride around the area is the way to go.

Yep. We did a good bike ride. There was a moped rally in town. 4000 50cc machines buzzing the place up. Great fun. 

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Saga. 95% as good as SS but half the price. 

Why wouldn't you? 

The ships are new and look fine but are too big with 1000pax.  And are the excursions included these days? 

40 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

The ships are new and look fine but are too big with 1000pax.  And are the excursions included these days? 

Some excursions - the sightseeing variety - are included. Any worth actually doing are charged. Just under 1000 pax. Food excels SS in all areas. No free champagne but premium spirits included. Average age of pax is palaeolithic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Saga. 95% as good as SS but half the price. 

Why wouldn't you? 

And I bet they they didn't run out of beverages at the bar or pass you club soda instead of fevertree! Just in the process of selecting something for next year between April and June. There is a lot of choice! Looks like Regent Splendor is the one..... Have a look on the site you booked your last Wind voyage. Apologies OP for the interruption!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 11:45 AM, PinonNoir said:

I'm done reviewing my cruise!

Thoroughly enjoyed your live report and photos! @PinonNoir  I was on this voyage as well. 

Overall, it was a fabulous voyage and Dawn has become a new favorite Silversea ship.   

Two quick add-ons:

One element that I do not recall seeing before on previous voyages were some changes to the Connoisseur wine list, including the addition of wine "packages" and select premium wines by the glass.  I'll post some photos in the Wine Appreciation thread for those who are interested. 

@PinonNoir had mentioned the royal wedding that took place on the day that we were in Geiranger.  Although it had reportedly rained for the previous 25 days in many of our ports, we had wonderful weather for most of our cruise and especially in Geiranger. Perhaps that can be attributed to the shaman that Princess Martha-Louise married? 🤣

King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Prince Sverre Magnus came ashore from the royal yacht to the dock adjacent to our tender's dock a few minutes after my excursion group returned, so here are a few photos of the royal family sans the bridal couple for anyone who is interested.   

IMG_3528 (1).jpg

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

• Like 6