Premier Package buying Onboard vs Pre-Cruise

STREETKING

I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find the answers during my brief search.

If buying pre-cruise I understand that the cruise price will increase due to the added insurance cost. although not sure by what amount for a 16-day cruise out of San Fransico.

Is there also a sales tax charge that is applied? If so is it a California state sales tax, or something other?

I'm curious if it would be a significant savings to book on-board as opposed to pre-booking.

Also, can the packages be booked online or do you have to call Princess to add a package?

Thanks for your replies

2 hours ago, STREETKING said:

I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find the answers during my brief search.

If buying pre-cruise I understand that the cruise price will increase due to the added insurance cost. although not sure by what amount for a 16-day cruise out of San Fransico.

Is there also a sales tax charge that is applied? If so is it a California state sales tax, or something other?

I'm curious if it would be a significant savings to book on-board as opposed to pre-booking.

Also, can the packages be booked online or do you have to call Princess to add a package?

Thanks for your replies

No, there is no sales tax.

It's flat $60/90

The insurance cost hit would be 8 or 9% of the overall fare.  

This only applies if purchasing Princess insurance (unless your private insurance is based on price also).

Buying aboard would limit opportunities for specialty dining - unless, of course, you prepurchase to save your spot, then get refunded aboard once you buy the package.. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Buying aboard would limit opportunities for specialty dining - unless, of course, you prepurchase to save your spot, then get refunded aboard once you buy the package.. 

This is true to some degree, and I've been one that has pre-purchased and gotten refunded later most of the time.  Having said that when I haven't done that it's been my experience that once on board, calling the dining line I find many more slots available than I thought there would be after seeing no reservations available for MONTHS on the app.  They definitely hold some reservations back.  I've read plenty of discussion on the topic and it seems my experience is the most common but not 100%. Definitely no guarantees.  Especially now with the very recent change to premier.

Posted (edited)

Also, no savings to waiting.  I seem to recall somewhere that the option to add this to your sailing on boarding is limited.   Like the first day or two?  I don't have the specifics here.

And, you can buy say the Plus at time of booking, and then use the chat function to upgrade to Premier later if you wish.  (I did so)

Edited by Jnsplace1

33 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Some people have a lot of OBC and want to use it to purchase the package. Can't use it to prepay so they wait til they are onboard.

Funky quirk with Princess.  They let you use your OBC to prepurchase excursions, but you can't use your OBC before you sail to upgrade from Plus to Premier, very frustrating.  🤬🤬🤬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

This is true to some degree, and I've been one that has pre-purchased and gotten refunded later most of the time.  Having said that when I haven't done that it's been my experience that once on board, calling the dining line I find many more slots available than I thought there would be after seeing no reservations available for MONTHS on the app.  They definitely hold some reservations back.  I've read plenty of discussion on the topic and it seems my experience is the most common but not 100%. Definitely no guarantees.  Especially now with the very recent change to premier.

Yeah that's been the case in the past - however, with the recent Premier changes to Unlimited specialty dining - slots may not be as available as in the past..

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Yeah that's been the case in the past - however, with the recent Premier changes to Unlimited specialty dining - slots may not be as available as in the past..

Agreed that it will change the dynamic. I don’t think in the near future that they’ll allow any more of the time slots to be reserved in advance than they did before, but they probably will fill up much quicker upon the start of the cruise. It’s the next race to book once on board next to sanctuary.