Honest opinion of Queen Victoria

windsurferfirst

I have read lots of post on various social media platforms that The QV is very tired looking both in decor around the ship and staterooms. They are also saying she is not the luxury ship you associate with Cunard. We have sailed Cunard once before on QE last year.

If you have sailed on her recently could you please give me some honest feedback.

We are pensioners so we have to make our money work for us so please don't say just go and enjoy your cruise. 

Thanks for reading.

We were on QV for the World Cruise this year, spending over three months on her. We were in Britannia. All I can say is that she looked splendid to us. Everywhere was spick and span, and we certainly didn't notice anything looking particularly 'tired'.

Perhaps we're easily pleased, but we've booked again on QV for 78 nights next January, with no qualms at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure if this is recent enough, but we went last August and she was fine, and we would happily book again, if she were sailing from Soton in the summer. She didn’t seem worn or tired, but that may say more about my housekeeping standards than anything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I would concur. We've probably sailed aboard the QV 10 or 12 times, the last being November 2023 and couldn't fault it.

Not the slightest bit tired or run down, In fact she is in great condition.

Now, off you go and book your holiday, but be sure to tell us how much you enjoyed it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigMac1953 said:

I would concur. We've probably sailed aboard the QV 10 or 12 times, the last being November 2023 and couldn't fault it.

Not the slightest bit tired or run down, In fact she is in great condition.

Now, off you go and book your holiday, but be sure to tell us how much you enjoyed it!

and we can beat that number although our last trip was last summer and I totally agree with all three comments so far.

Have I mentioned Victoria is our favourite Cunard ship??😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were last onboard in May. I agree that she is in good condition, and is still a wonderful ship. We are back onboard in December. I'm so determined to go on QV next year for our Ruby anniversary, that we are planning to drive to Italy to join her there, as neither of us fly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've sailed on QV for 4 weeks this summer.  From a Grills perspective, we found the cabins to be in very good condition, & around the ship (both interior & exterior), we thought she was in excellent shape.  So, for us at least, nothing to report on the ‘tired’ front!

• Thanks 1

We were on board until just over a week ago and did not see anything that would cause any legitimate concern. She is a relatively old ship, so there are naturally areas which are showing age in comparison to newer ones, so I will list some of the issues I saw here. 

The pod bathrooms are a case in point, which feel quite dated with the cream finish and shower curtain, however everything worked fine and was spotlessly clean. Likewise, in the cabin, the quantum, positioning and design of the plug sockets show that this was a ship designed many years ago before the explosion in smart devices all needing charge. 

There is the odd bit of rust on balconies and on deck, but this is an endless task and the case on any ship. Staff could be seen throughout the day painting and varnishing, so it is certainly not the case that she is being neglected. 

The starboard side door that connects the Winter Garden to the Pavilion Pool was out of action throughout our two weeks, but that was actually quite helpful as it enabled the area in front to be utilised by chairs and loungers, being in the shade. 

There was clearly a leak that was causing issues on Deck 2 leading to the Britannia restaurant, as there were dehumidifiers running to keep the carpet dry, but this had no impact on anyone, as the passageway was always wide enough for those in wheelchairs or mobility scooters to pass by. 

Generally though, I think the ship is holding up remarkably well and is being kept in very good order. Carpets throughout were in great condition, as was the internal decoration and state of the furniture. There is still a very clear wow factor through the various public areas on decks 2 and 3, even if it does not seek to be glitzy. 

In terms of luxury, this is much more to do with Cunard itself, rather than being specific to QV. The level of service provided by the crew was exemplary in what it was. It would not compare to a small, high end product like Silversea etc. as there just isn't the ability with these numbers to provide such personalised service across all aspects of the ship. You will certainly get it from your cabin steward and waiting staff (if you had a fixed table), and would be able to build a similar rapport with bar staff if you frequented somewhere in particular, but the scale of the operations, and therefore what it takes to be operationally efficient and successful are very different. 

I think it is Victoria2 who often describes it as a happy ship, and I would 100% concur with this and observe that it rubs off on the guests too. The Captain on board on our sailing, Tom Connery, was laid back but very much in evidence, and it appeared that his manner of approaching staff and passengers was mirrored down the hierarchy to the point where lower grade staff across all the visible sections appeared genuinely relaxed and happy in their liaisons with management (as opposed to being anxious and subservient that you see on many other ships).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone who knew what they were buying into with Cunard and would have appropriate expectations. The condition of the ship would barely figure in my concerns, it would be much more to do with pace of life on board, the kind of facilities vs the likes of RCI etc. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I was on board for just over 2 weeks in late January/early February, in a Britannia balcony cabin, and didn't notice anything looking tired or find the service anything but impeccable. 

There was some rust on my balcony, but that's to be expected on any ship.

Like King Amo, I did notice the dehumidifiers going in the passageway on deck 2 leading back to the Britannia restaurant, but I saw the same thing in the same place on Zuiderdam (which is also a Vista class ship) both times I've been on her, so I suspect that this may be an issue with the ship design, rather than with QV. 

Edited by neeuqdrazil
  • Like 1

Just disembarked yesterday, we had a great cruise, yes there were one or two complaints.

Main disappointment was our deck six cabin exterior, The balcony rail, I think had not been varnished for years, by the look of it, and the amount of rust was  far more than we have experienced on Queen Victoria, and this was our seventh cruise on her. The interior as usual was very well kept.

Over all a very happy set of crew, there are one or two exceptions, one mainly in the Britannia Dining room, I don't think he was a happy chappie.

The only other person was in the Chart Room, every other waiter was efficient and timely with you order,but if you got him then you had a ling wait for your drinks, we could not work this out, he would take your order and at least 20 minutes passed before he returned with your drinks. Other people would order, with another waiter, and their drinks were served promptly.

Yes I do think that there are some bad apples in the barrel, but overall the staff were great and could not do enough for you. Queen Victoria is still our favorite ship with Cunard.

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for your very detailed responses you have put my mind at rest.

We should have been sailing on her this coming weekend but my sister passed away last month so we moved the cruise to next June.

thanks again everyone 

Ok, I found something :classic_dry:: The hot tubs aft are not functioning properly. Hot yes, but no bubbles. 

If I remember right, last year at least one of the two was still working.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, windsurferfirst said:

Thank you all so much for your very detailed responses you have put my mind at rest.

We should have been sailing on her this coming weekend but my sister passed away last month so we moved the cruise to next June.

thanks again everyone 

I am sorry for your loss and hope that the cruise, when it comes, will exceed your expectations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sailed in Queen Victoria on a 7 day med cruise.  I have sailed w CUNARD since the 1980's & my first on QV.  I travelled as a single in an inside cabin as that is all that was available as this was a last minute booking.(  I always book a midship balcony cabin).

Over the years I have read ROSCOE's postings about his love of the QV.  Yes I agree its a lovely ship - more of a comfortable ship in decor & a little dated.

SERVICE

Cabin-  I did have a very good cabin steward - tho he obviously was overworked w too many cabins to clean.

The Lido Buffet was a mess - not enough staff to clear tables & reset them, coffee, milk, mugs & silverware in a timely manner - leaving passengers wandering around looking for clean tables while their food got cold!

BARS -

Again there were plenty of very nice areas to have a drink - unfortunately there is not enough staff to serve the passengers - the  worst was the lido area.  Even in the CHART ROOM - I usually sit at the bar & even then the wait for a drink would be 10-15 minutes(pre dinner).  In the Aft Lido Pool - the service was SLOOOOOOW & the area was rarely cleaned up -  empty glasses left on tables for extended periods ,knapkins, straws & other misc trash blowing around on the deck.  I even took a photo of an area next to the bar that obviously hadn't been washed / cleaned in a very loooong time(months).

One note about the drinks onboard - The POURS on drinks was pathetic - I'm a light drinker - usually scotch - I ended up ordering doubles neat w ice on the side.  also like everywhere else - a bottle of wine would have four glasses in  it - now CUNARD & every other business has figured out how to get 5 almost 6 glasses out of a bottle  - the pours were that poor!!

FOOD

I did not eat in the main dining room as I prefer the freedom to eat ashore when in port and the late afternoons at the lido pool when everyone is getting ready for the evening. I usually have breakfast in my cabin on the balcony but since this was not possible I ate all my meals at the lido buffet.  There is definitely a large variety of food for any taste.  Saying that  - the quality of the food was disappointing.  The quality of the beef & lamb was more akin to leather, the fruit & vegetables was hit or miss(really in the Med in summer???) A couple of weeks prior I sailed on a MSC ship in the same area & the lido quality was better - especially concerning the beef & lamb and fruits & veggies.  Note to CUNARD - don't even bother w the pizza.

There obviously is no quality control  and not enough staff.  And one note - I found the supervisors in many areas acting/ talking like prison guards w their staff  - and not helping  out when there was an obvious problem.  Supportive management is more productive!!

QV _ THE SHIP Condition

Tho she has a few years on her - its like going to your Grandmother's house - dated but loveable!  My cabin was clean & everything worked fine.  The public areas(excluding the aft lido).were kept clean all week - there was a variety of entertainment  - the quality was questionable at times( The Crew Band in the Queens room in the evening - tho commendable really wasn't very good & didn't keep the crowd for long).

I missed having music in the Chart Room.

Yes there  were rust areas everywhere - not concerning & I did see work going on all over the exterior of the   ship.  There was  a leak in the corridor leading to the Brittania dining room(which apparently  still hasn't been repaired)  leaving very soggy carpets...not good.

With all the  cost cutting (still blamed on covid)  continuing it shows all over.

The aft lido pool was the worst - the furniture was so worn & stained it was gross.  There certainly wasn't enough seating - it should of been replaced a long time ago.

Would I sail QV again - only w Roscoe onboard w the right Itinerary.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Golly, QV's Lido and bars  must have gone downhill rapidly since last year.

I've been on 3 times this year, and she certainly hasn't been going downhill, and I doubt you would be surprised by this view. I also hope (somehow) you get back on your favourite Queen before too long.  I would say that someone who doesn't go to Britannia in favour of the Lido is missing out, but that's just my view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NowVoyager2 said:

One note about the drinks onboard - The POURS on drinks was pathetic - I'm a light drinker - usually scotch - I ended up ordering doubles neat w ice on the side.  also like everywhere else - a bottle of wine would have four glasses in  it - now CUNARD & every other business has figured out how to get 5 almost 6 glasses out of a bottle  - the pours were that poor!!

I think this might be the result of a US/UK culture clash. In the UK alcohol must be served in measures as defined by law. Beer and cider is served by the pint, the half pint or one third of a pint. Wine is served in glasses of 125ml, 175ml or multiples there of and the smaller glass size must be available. Ports and sherrys are served in 50ml or 70ml multiples. Spirits are served either in multiples of 25ml or multiples of 35ml depending on the individual premises. No deviation from these fixed sizes is allowed.

So for British passengers, what is being served is entirely normal. Going back a few years the drinks were served in ounces which being around 30ml was a little more than a standard UK single and it is a shame to see that Cunard have increased prices while reducing measures but everything has gone that way.

• Like 7

It has often been said, there are two Cunard ships with the same name, this time, Queen Victoria although other ships in the fleet have been mentioned.

Can't please all folk all the time.

• Like 2