How do MoveUps Work When Adding Additional Insurance?

Lastdance

I was wondering how a MoveUp works when adding additional insurance to cover the MoveUp cost.  Does Celebrity send you a new invoice with guest 1 and guest 2 having the same percentages as your prior invoice?

Okay, I do know that you need the additional insurance, but does Celebrity just charge say a flat 5,000?  You have to have an updated invoice!  This is scary stuff if you have to file a big claim.  

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Okay, I do know that you need the additional insurance, but does Celebrity just charge say a flat 5,000?  You have to have an updated invoice!  This is scary stuff if you have to file a big claim.  

I think you would have to instigate the extra insurance with Celebrity yourself. I don’t think it is automatic. Move ups and payments are via a third party so i don’t think it registers on your normal account.

i don’t know specifically about Celebrity but I recall a fairly recent thread where some one cancelled on Royal and were annoyed that they were only reimbursed for their original fare.

58 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I think you would have to instigate the extra insurance with Celebrity yourself. I don’t think it is automatic. Move ups and payments are via a third party so i don’t think it registers on your normal account.

i don’t know specifically about Celebrity but I recall a fairly recent thread where some one cancelled on Royal and were annoyed that they were only reimbursed for their original fare.

If you got your insurance through Celebrity, yes, you would need to insure the extra with them.  Many of us use our own specific insurance due to pre-existing conditions, along with our own personal needs.  The latter is what I am trying to figure out on here.  Even Steve D., from the Insurance Store says that you need the additional coverage if something happens during your cruise and you need to submit a claim.  Just lots of small details that could cause a huge issue if insurance is needed to pay your claim.  You bring up a good point about Royal.

Posted (edited)

Your question is very interesting to me. I purchased celebrity's insurance because of the cfar and I WAS considering my first move up offer. But now I pause, considering what you are asking. I had heard the move up money was nonrefundable, period.

But to possibly have a medical claim denied, based on the move up not being covered. Is thought provoking.

Edited by newcruzer2

56 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

If you got your insurance through Celebrity, yes, you would need to insure the extra with them.  Many of us use our own specific insurance due to pre-existing conditions, along with our own personal needs.  The latter is what I am trying to figure out on here.  Even Steve D., from the Insurance Store says that you need the additional coverage if something happens during your cruise and you need to submit a claim.  Just lots of small details that could cause a huge issue if insurance is needed to pay your claim.  You bring up a good point about Royal.

Yes I always insure independently but usually just for medical coverage and self-insure the cruise. That depends on your comfort level and how expensive your cruise is. We generally take an annual policy now so increased price wouldn’t be important  but overall claim is limited.

Obviously if you want to increase your cruise cancellation amount with whoever, you need to increase it. 

I think many people just insure through the cruise line and assume.

Posted (edited)

Okay, if husband and wife are both on the insurance, it is split 50/50.  If you do a MoveUp, Celebrity does not send an invoice, but one can be requested.  Again, it would be split 50/50, but all of this depends on your particular insurance company.  None of this really matters until you have to submit a claim, but insurance can be a sticky issue.  This is with your own insurance and not from Celebrity.

Edited by Lastdance

Posted (edited)

I was told by the shoreside retreat concierge that the $ paid for the move up is not covered by Celebrity insurance. My take on this is that if you cancel for a covered reason you would only get back the price of the cruise at the time of final payment. If not a covered reason but the 90% FCC kicked in it would still only be for the $ of the cruise at final payment.  Medical benefits would not change so if you had an emergency on the cruise you would be covered up to the limit in the policy.

We did not get a supplemental invoice or pay more for the insurance when we won the move up bid.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1