Renting a car at the San Diego cruise port

We would like to rent a car during a port stop in San Diego. The only rental companies open on the day we are in port are located at the airport and they do not offer a shuttle to the port. Have you rented a car while in port in San Diego? Are there taxis easily available at the port that we can take to the airport (we do not use Uber)? Just as important, are there taxis available at the airport’s rental car area to return to the port? Thank you.

13 minutes ago, fluffyclouds said:

Have you rented a car while in port in San Diego?

A few times-- very easy to do at the airport. The rental garage/desks are a little more than 10 minute ride from the port. 

14 minutes ago, fluffyclouds said:

Are there taxis easily available at the port that we can take to the airport (we do not use Uber)? Just as important, are there taxis available at the airport’s rental car area to return to the port?

Hit and miss-- there are significantly less taxis than before pretty much everywhere. Uber/Lyft really are your best bet here-- if you haven't used either of them before this might be a great trial as the ride is short, inexpensive, and easy.

I don't remember a taxi rank at the pier but also wasn't looking for one either-- I walked across the street for the Uber to get it in the airports direction. I'm sure the rental desk of whatever rental company you use could call you a taxi at the airport if it's absolutely necessary. 

I would suck it up and use Uber both ways.  As a tip don't try to catch it in front of the pier.  Walk across the street and down a block or so and then catch it.  I have seen taxis just down the street in front of the Embassy Suites that would get you to the car rental center, but no sure about getting back to the port.  You could probably take the rental car shuttle back to the airport and then catch a taxi there.  In some cities I have seen an option on the Uber app to call a taxi.    

2 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I would suck it up and use Uber both ways.  As a tip don't try to catch it in front of the pier.  Walk across the street and down a block or so and then catch it.  I have seen taxis just down the street in front of the Embassy Suites that would get you to the car rental center, but no sure about getting back to the port.  You could probably take the rental car shuttle back to the airport and then catch a taxi there.  In some cities I have seen an option on the Uber app to call a taxi.    

There is a taxi stand past the Embassy Suites towards the Convention Center on W. Harbor. Rarely see them in front of the Embassy Suites, at least on my last two stays in late 2023 and early 2024.

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is a taxi stand past the Embassy Suites towards the Convention Center on W. Harbor. Rarely see them in front of the Embassy Suites, at least on my last two stays in late 2023 and early 2024.

There was one on the Pacific Hwy side of the ES.  I don't use taxis so can't say for sure.  Looks like there might be another at Pacific Landing, which would be closer.  But there's a review stating how disorganized they were.  

• 3 weeks later...