What's the latest I could exit the ship? Which of these flights would you choose?

Stockjock

4 hours ago, LuAnn said:

I also live in SD and I've done the earlier flight...but once I almost didn't make it!!! What airline are you flying? American has a flight ..not non stop that leaves around 1:30 or SD..maybe check that out? 

On this particular date, there is no nonstop flight at that time.

23 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

That is not correct.  if you pay the $175 for the Authorized User card, that Authorized User has Centurion Lounge Access regardless of whether or not the Cardholder is present.  If the Card if from a Commercial Entity such as Delta or Hilton, etc,.the companion card will not grant you access.

My spouse has an Authorized User card on my Platinum Card and has always been granted access.

Terri

I think this is correct.  They do, in fact, have their own Platinum Card.  I've done this twice and it didn't seem as if they were checking to see who was the primary holder and who was an authorized user.  From their perspective, I believe we are both considered as Platinum Card holders.

Posted (edited)

I won't name my company, even though I think I can, but here's how our "free" Amex Platinum works.  I'll tell you why it was a great deal, and why it's now not such a great deal imo, even though I still do it personally.

To get a credit that offsets the $695 annual fee, one must have:

1. At least $25k cash in a lower yielding checking account.

2. A premium cash management type of account, which is actually pretty good, imo.  I like the nearly unlimited ATM rebates worldwide.

3. At least $5k per month direct deposit, or social security of any amount.

Why it was a great deal...

A few years ago, money markets and checking/savings accounts were paying next to nothing, so to have $25k in a very low yielding checking account was no biggie, as rates were lousy everywhere so you weren't giving up much.

Also, until recently, the annual fee that was rebated was under $600, so no reporting of the credit of the annual fee to the IRS.

Why it's now not nearly as good of a deal...

Interest rates are much higher.  Our preferred (new money) savings account is currently at 5%.

So to have even $25k earning next to nothing, is a bigger deal.  If rates remained at 5%, interest on $25k is $1,250/yr, so that's more interest credited than the benefit from the card.  As mentioned, the checking account required to get a rebate of the fee pays close to nothing, interest-wise.

Since AMEX increased the fee to over $600/yr ($695), the rebated fee is now reported to the IRS, which means most will pay tax on it.  In other words, given where things stand today, and certainly they could change, but you'd potentially give up $1,250 in interest and pay tax on the $695 rebated fee, so indirectly you're paying more than the $695 rebated.

Again, I still do it, and I like the fact I can get the GF an authorized user card for no extra cost.  Once interest rates come down, the deal will probably look more attractive again.  But I hate the fact that the credited fee must be reported to the IRS as taxable income!

Edited by Stockjock

16 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Not knowing the port for the overnight, could clearing immigration/customs be an issue when disembarking a day before the end of a cruise?

Bali.....they seem to be reasonably tourist friendly. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I did end up going with the later flight.  Not worth having to rush to get to the plane, plus a layover in DFW increases the odds of a delay or bags getting lost.  I'll take my time about getting to the plane and then visit the Amex Centurion Lounge 3 hours before flight time. 

• Like 5

If you go straight from the ship to the airport, you will end up sitting in the check in terminal for a few hours.  We've done that. Not fun.  I would definitely look into a post-cruise tour. Whether you do it with the cruise line or hire a car. 

• Like 1