Vv and its vague excursion wording

SongsInMyHead

stkittsscenicrailway.com.  I can’t speak for the sail portion of the tour, but the train is fun but not HC friendly.  Each car on the train has seating for everyone both in the open air upper level, and the enclosed lower level.  The upper level is reached by a narrow spiral staircase.  There is a restroom in the lower level, and I think all must navigate the f ew steps up into the car.  Half of the tour is by bus, the other half by train.  I did the afternoon tour which had the bus first.  There is a bus for each car of the train.  I was slow and got on the last bus, and it was great because I then got a rear seat upper level in the last car.  EM

• Thanks 1

I did the rail as well. Enjoyed it throughly. @Essiesmom is very accurate about it.  It is fun, open air, informative and the drinks (punch really) flowed freely. However, it is bumpy. A person with mobility issues would want to sit on the lower level.

I love Virgin, but I hope they will someday make their excursion descriptions more detailed. Princess, for example, will tell you how many steps and how bumpy right down to a very fine point.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Thanks 1

I also did the Rail part of this one.  I'm a short fat chick and managed just fine.  The upper deck is the place to be if you can maneuver the stairs and don't mind a bumpy ride.  It is open sides up there so if it rains you WILL get wet. 

Also agree that VVs descriptions need more.  Weight limits.  I wish they would include those. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WickedRed said:

Also agree that VVs descriptions need more.  Weight limits.  I wish they would include those. 

That would be a minefield. I can imagine what would happen if they *did* put weight limits. That's a very delicate topic, and a tricky one, too. I know people who work out a lot and are 6' tall and might weigh 200 lbs, but someone who's 5' and 200 might not be in the same physical shape, and a weight limit presumably would not take that into account.

On 9/5/2024 at 6:26 AM, WickedRed said:

Weight limits are appropriate if you are on a zip line, riding a horse, or something similar and should be listed when they impact the activity.  But as noted, weight alone is not indicative of health or physical ability.

On 9/6/2024 at 1:29 PM, cantgetin said:

Weight limits are appropriate if you are on a zip line, riding a horse, or something similar and should be listed when they impact the activity.  But as noted, weight alone is not indicative of health or physical ability.

Most small planes ask about weight. The weight balance counts on a plane.

13 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

Most small planes ask about weight. The weight balance counts on a plane.

Yes, as a pilot, I certainly know that weight/balance issues count on small planes.  THat said, I've never been asked on any excursion that involved a small plane.  I guess the eyeballed us and no one was excessively large or small, and let it go.  All of those were 8-10 passenger planes. On the other hand, they might well ask my 6'6" heavy set son in law!

We did one excursion in Alaska where I had carefully researched the flight company. for safety.   A couple weeks later, people were killed on the same excursion with a different company.  A bit scary to see on the news!

Edited by cantgetin

28 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Yes, as a pilot, I certainly know that weight/balance issues count on small planes.  THat said, I've never been asked on any excursion that involved a small plane.  I guess the eyeballed us and no one was excessively large or small, and let it go.  All of those were 8-10 passenger planes. On the other hand, they might well ask my 6'6" heavy set son in law!

We did one excursion in Alaska where I had carefully researched the flight company. for safety.   A couple weeks later, people were killed on the same excursion with a different company.  A bit scary to see on the news!

I was asked in AK to fly over pipeline,asked when flying to Lizard Island. Think in a couple other four seaters. 
also some snorkel tours along with age limit there has been a weight limit,

thought planes for weight not sure about snorkel boats.

On 9/6/2024 at 1:29 PM, cantgetin said:

But as noted, weight alone is not indicative of health or physical ability.

Totally understand and agree.  I'm thinking weight limits for those kind things that are mentioned. Where the object being used can only manage up to a particular weight safely.