Johannesburg and Cape Town hotels

wjfan417

We’re staying in Johannesburg for 2 nights prior to flying to Victoria Falls for a couple days. We will then fly back to Johannesburg for our Azamara pre-cruise Micato safari. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in Johannesburg that isn’t too far from the airport in a safe neighborhood?

In Cape Town we’re looking for a hotel with day rooms as our flight is at 8:15 p.m. on disembarkation day.

Diana

Cape Town - We had a week in the Table Bay Hotel situated in the V&A and can thoroughly recommend it.  Not Sure about day rooms though.

The location is great.  Take the side door for the Harbour and restaurants, take the rear elevator into the shopping centre and front door to the boardwalk.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wjfan417 said:

We’re staying in Johannesburg for 2 nights prior to flying to Victoria Falls for a couple days. We will then fly back to Johannesburg for our Azamara pre-cruise Micato safari. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in Johannesburg that isn’t too far from the airport in a safe neighborhood?

In Cape Town we’re looking for a hotel with day rooms as our flight is at 8:15 p.m. on disembarkation day.

Diana

On disembarkation day have you considered luggage storage? We have used Stasher before (not in South Africa) and they have a location near the Bo-Kaap Museum museum https://stasher.com/luggage-storage . You book and pay on line and drop the bags of at a business or hotel. There are others such as Nanny bags.

2 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

Diana

In Johannesburg, the InterContinental is right there at the airport.  It is a beautiful hotel and the restaurant there is excellent.  Very convenient as it's an easy walk from arrivals.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, crzrr said:

In Johannesburg, the InterContinental is right there at the airport.  It is a beautiful hotel and the restaurant there is excellent.  Very convenient as it's an easy walk from arrivals.

Agreed- we had great stays there 

In Cape Town, AmaWaterways put us up in the Cape Grace Hotel in the V&A area – it was very very nice, but also very expensive.  Arriving a day early and on our own dime, we stayed at The Portswood Hotel nearby – nearly as nice and much cheaper.

In Jo'burg, we stayed at the DaVinci Hotel in Sandton (a safe neighborhood in the downtown area) and then used Felling Tours to take us and our luggage to the Cradle of Humankind and on to the airport.  

14 hours ago, crzrr said:

I stayed there Abd was able to roll my suitcases into hotel lobby. Nit sure if I landed after dinner..to many years.the best IC I ever stayed at.thrybrolled me to the check in counter the next day.

21 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

Diana

We are booked in "Boutigue" Hotel Atlantic View, Camps Bay for 3 nights before cruise.  It looks fabulous. 

We have booked an Enrichment Journey beginning Jan 30th in Johannesburg.  They have booked the group we are traveling with at the Peermont D’Oreale Grande.

In Cape Town (pre-cruise) they have booked us into the Commadore.  

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

We have booked an Enrichment Journey beginning Jan 30th in Johannesburg.  They have booked the group we are traveling with at the Peermont D’Oreale Grande.

In Cape Town (pre-cruise) they have booked us into the Commadore.  

I think you’ll like the Commodore. Just a five minute walk onto the quayside. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I had been hesitant about booking the Intercontinental since it was so much more expensive than other hotels in the area, but decided the convenience was probably worth it. I’ll see if our driver in Cape Town can take us somewhere to store our bags.

Diana