Where can I find port & shuttle information in one place?

Machta

Hello, all!  We are scheduled on the 14 day sailing of the Noordam r/t from Tokyo on March 2, 2025.  Does HAL have a list of the port name / address where the Noordam will dock?  How can I find out about shuttles to/from the port to the city centers?  Given that nearly all of the ports will be new to us I’d like to do some planning in advance so I know what days we would like to be on our own and what days we might want to buy excursions.  Thanks for your help!

Posted (edited)

I used to call HAL and ask them to tell me where we would be in each port (I learned to not trust some travel agencies or sites—although I’m sure there are good ones that could find the info—but to ask HAL directly). Sometimes they would have shuttle info, too, and sometimes not. Then I would email each port and ask about any shuttle and transportation options (some have a website with this info). Often there is a lesser-known public transportation option nearby, too. I would also look at the CC Ports of Call board plus previous and current Roll Call boards to read info from other travelers. Some current “Live From” Threads may have the daily program posted that will give port and shuttle info. After boarding, if I still had questions about the port location, I would call the front desk and they could provide this info in advance, as well.

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar

11 hours ago, Machta said:

Hello, all!  We are scheduled on the 14 day sailing of the Noordam r/t from Tokyo on March 2, 2025.  Does HAL have a list of the port name / address where the Noordam will dock?  How can I find out about shuttles to/from the port to the city centers?  Given that nearly all of the ports will be new to us I’d like to do some planning in advance so I know what days we would like to be on our own and what days we might want to buy excursions.  Thanks for your help!

When you booked your cruise you would get an itinerary with the port names, also what excursions are available for each port.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here’s a Thread discussing “Tom’s Port Guides.” The site is no longer being updated, but archives of these guides can be accessed. Over time, some details will change, but the maps, resources and local information was always helpful in my planning.

Edited by syesmar

Thank you all for your ideas.  What I’ve found is that there is no comprehensive listing as to where in a particular port that a ship will dock, but often if you go to the port websites they will have a schedule.  For example, in Skagway there are a number of docks, and how you get on and off your ship depends on which dock you are at (e.g., Ore Dock versus Railroad Dock).

Thanks for your ideas!

In my experience the availability of a shuttle seems like a giant secret. The cruise lines want you to book a shore excursion and don’t share this information. There’s a lot of resources from content creators but unfortunately information on ports and logistics at those ports is still very much lacking in favor of reviews of the ship experience. It seems a shuttle is much more common in Europe vs North America. If you are docked in an industrial port there’s usually a shuttle to get you to the main road at least, those are usually free. The one shuttle I had in France to the city center was a charge. 

I use Google maps and cruisemapper to get an idea of what the port is like. You can usually see where the cruiseline docks. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

In my experience the availability of a shuttle seems like a giant secret. The cruise lines want you to book a shore excursion and don’t share this information. There’s a lot of resources from content creators but unfortunately information on ports and logistics at those ports is still very much lacking in favor of reviews of the ship experience. It seems a shuttle is much more common in Europe vs North America. If you are docked in an industrial port there’s usually a shuttle to get you to the main road at least, those are usually free. The one shuttle I had in France to the city center was a charge. 

I use Google maps and cruisemapper to get an idea of what the port is like. You can usually see where the cruiseline docks. 

Great advice, thank you. CruiseMapper is also good to determine other cruise ships who will be sharing the same port. 

• Like 1