My first Voyage with Virgin was a lot of fun, but I brought home a souvenir I did not need

HesterMofet

After 4.5 years of avoiding COVID, I got it on the cruise. Home now, taking meds.

Loved the cruise and the line -- the "do what ya want" attitude and the diversity of the passengers were big pluses. 

(My biggest complaint was the quasi Eurodisco played throughout the spaces. There was a little bit of pop, but very little rock or hip hop to be heard.)

We'll be booking again and thank you for all the advice. 

Posted (edited)

Sadly, Covid is everywhere.

We just got our updated vaccines today, and we also travel with Covixyl.

It's a nasal spray that gives you 6 hours of protection from airborne viruses.

In the US, it's available over the counter, without a prescription.

Covixyl-product-main-image.jpeg

Hope you feel better soon!

Edited by Eric&Pam
  • Like 3

Sorry this happened to you OP.

Sadly, Covid is rampant everywhere.Fortunately, it is less deadly than previously.

Illness has always been an issue on cruises. Norovirus, common cold, and now Covid to name a few. And, of course, you can also get it in airports, planes, restaurants, not just a cruise ship.

Just read after trip reports from all the cruise lines where there are many reports.

Everyone should think about their own risk tolerance. Personally, we tend to avoid the larger indoor events with many people and wash our hands often. Our last cruise (Princess) was 14 days, and by the last few days the number of people coughing and sneezing and NOT using sleeves or tissues was frightening. Sure, enough, a few in our party contacted Covid.

Gretchen basically said what I was going to--that there is covid everywhere.  You won't know whether you got it on the plane, the airport, the ship, at a hotel, or whatever.  I've been avoiding any large groups since 2021 for a couple of reasons...and then after my flight picked up what I used to call "airplane crud,"  A friend once pointed out that whenever I flew, I'd get a cold a few days later.  It isn't covid this time, but I'm still coughing.

You can't avoid everything.  Take reasonable precautions--lots of hand washing, particularly before eating. Keep you hands away from your face.  Stay away from anyone who appears sick, coughing, etc. Stay well hydrated as dry mucous membranes are more suseptible to virus particles.  You all know the drills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been reported that this has been the worst season for Covid in the U.S. since things quieted down. We're getting our latest boosters this week or next as we get ready to start cruising again after a few months off in October. It'll be another busy final quarter of the year into the first quarter of 2025 with 3 planned cruises and possibly 2 more between October and the end of February. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I have a sore left arm after Tuesday’s latest Covid and senior flu shots.  EM

Before our cruise last November I got the Covid, Flu, Tetanus and shingles shots all at once.  Fun times there.

I have a friend that came back from a cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago that picked up Covid (for the first time).  Luckily it seems like it didn't hit him until he got home so it didn't mess up any part of the trip.

1 hour ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

Before our cruise last November I got the Covid, Flu, Tetanus and shingles shots all at once.  Fun times there.

I have a friend that came back from a cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago that picked up Covid (for the first time).  Luckily it seems like it didn't hit him until he got home so it didn't mess up any part of the trip.

All at once! You are very brave. The shingles shots were the ones that knocked me out 🙂

We had an amazing time on our first Virgin Voyage, and it was the Celebration Voyage, with an amazing pool party on the next to last day! However, we also got Covid, which sucks. Unfortunately, viruses including Covid is everywhere! I guess we took our chances! But still one of the best time had!

Edited by AJHolloway