Icon of the Seas Pool Chairs

4 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

I don't understand these comments that unless you are literally sitting IN your chair you may not lay claim to it.  So if I want to swim I should uproot all my stuff and put in on the ground or in a locker?  Of course I leave my stuff if I swim or hot tub, it's only about 15 minutes and I'm back.

I think the idea of a cubby or locker is that some people have zero intention of actually using the chair, yet they still need a place off the ground to put their stuff (shoes, shirt, phone, whatever), so that it stays dry and doesn't get kicked or stepped on. Not that you should move your stuff from the chair to the locker when you want to spend a little time in the pool or hot tub

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RobInMN said:

I think the idea of a cubby or locker is that some people have zero intention of actually using the chair, yet they still need a place off the ground to put their stuff (shoes, shirt, phone, whatever), so that it stays dry and doesn't get kicked or stepped on. Not that you should move your stuff from the chair to the locker when you want to spend a little time in the pool or hot tub

That makes total sense. I guess I did not know people did that, I always use a chair for long periods of time. Thanks for letting me know!

15 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Absolutely not. The whole reason people are putting their towels down is because they know someone else will come along while they're eating and take the chair, which they SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO since they're actually ready to use the chair, while the person eating their breakfast is not. If someone wants to go eat breakfast before going to the pool, they either need to eat earlier, or accept whatever lounger is available once they show up to the pool. 

Putting a towel down to save a chair (aka, chair hogging), is selfish and self absorbed behavior. 

The rules are that you can leave your stuff on the chair unattended for 30 minutes. If someone is going to eat breakfast in under 30 minutes, or bring the food to the chair, that is completely within the rules.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malba2366 said:

The rules are that you can leave your stuff on the chair unattended for 30 minutes. If someone is going to eat breakfast in under 30 minutes, or bring the food to the chair, that is completely within the rules.  

I'm fine with 30 minutes. All I'm trying to say is that I've seen lots of chairs to unused for hours, HOOOOUUUURS, (and by unused I don't mean that people are in the pool, and therefore using the chairs because they're actually in the vicinity, I mean just pure saving of chairs in case they decide to come back hours later from trivia and lunch or whatever they're doing, to use them), and I think it's fine if people decide to remove the offenders stuff and take the seat if there's none other available in the area.

Not sure where my statements started being interpreted as though I'm walking around the pool deck looking to just remove peoples stuff for no reason, I never said that and don't think I've implied it either, but if I did, hopefully this clarifies it. Either way, if I'm looking for a longer or a clamshell and there's none available and someone has left their stuff there to save the seat, I'm gonna take it. If they come back in a reasonable time, I'm happy to give it back. But if they show up over an hour later and it's clear they haven't been in the pool, I'm not getting up unless an employee comes over and tells me I have to. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2024 at 8:44 PM, malba2366 said:

You should be able to get whatever chairs you want at 8 am.  If you are going for a quick breakfast before using the deck chairs it is perfectly reasonable to put your towels down before eating.

Thats if there’s any chairs left open by 8am….most will be empty with towels or a shoe or a book …etc

I’m not sure if this is still the way Disney handles chair hogs, but a few years ago we were at their resort in Aulani Hawaii. Their way is that every hour the attendants went to each chair and folded the towel neatly over the top of the chair. When they came back the next hour, if the towel is still there, they took all the belongings back to the towel station and the guest had to go get them. It wasn’t a lot of work for the attendants, many people were in their chairs, or one family member was while the children swam. But it worked! 

• Like 1

The chair hog thing is one of my hot buttons.  I don’t go looking for trouble, especially on a cruise, but it gets very out of hand sometimes. On a Quantum cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver a couple years ago, I had several visits to the Solarium where there were maybe 30 folks actually using it but virtually all the loungers were ‘ reserved’.

I even saw a row of them with pre- made, laminated, signs saying “ Reserved for Karen Chairhog” et al… Clipped to the  headrest!  The pool attendants were no help, just got a deer in the headlights look…

That said, there may be hope. On a short western carib cruise last December ( Voyager), these were on about every 5 headrests.

We’re on a 15 day Quantum Seattle to Tokyo in a couple weeks, we’ll see if it’s actually improved. 

Wishing Common Courtesy wasn’t so rare…….

IMG_3398.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 7:51 AM, catscanman said:

When  you can put your towel on your pool chairs in the morning when on Icon of the Seas. Can I put my towel on my chairs and go for breakfast in the morning. Thanks in advance.

They have signs on all chairs that say if you leave you items for 30 min they will clear them off. 

11 hours ago, catscanman said:

Again thanks for the insight. I don’t know what’s worse.  putting my towel on a chair and leaving it for a few minutes or be like what some people said they would do and just take the chair if nobody was sitting in it. 

I guess think of it this way - there's a rule against one of these things, but no rule against the other.