Boarding on the Gem

JSar

What is boarding like on the Gem without priority boarding? I paid for priority boarding the first time I sailed the Gem as I had knee injuries and was using a wheelchair part time, so I figured it would be good to have priority boarding/disembarkation/tendering. We of course got really fast check in and were able to go straight to the safety station and then head to the buffet or explore the ship. Of course - I was also one of the first groups to arrive to the ship, so probably missed the bigger crowds regardless.

On the Bliss - I did NOT do priority boarding. We had a long line outside the building, then we were "corralled" into a large area that was WAY too small for the number of people they were corralling. And we had to wait in disorganized chaos before they allowed us to go past the holding area. I really didn't like it. I don't think we were one of the first groups to board, but it was still several hours before we were allowed to go to our room.

So - I realize the Bliss is a much larger ship - but do they have similar lines and corralling areas on the Gem if you don't have priority boarding? I really don't want to pay for it, but I really REALLY don't want a repeat of what I had to deal with on the Bliss. I don't think the priority tender will benefit us - we only have tendering at GSC right now. I have plenty of time to get to my flight, so not worried about the priority disembarking. The only huge advantage to me is if I don't have to wait in long lines only to be corralled in an overcrowded room (also increasing the likelihood of catching someone's germs at the start of the trip), and of course - less time in line and more time to each/explore. But with the smaller ship, is this even an issue?

It will depend on the port and your timing. If everyone shows up at 9:30, regardless of the actual time they chose for check-in, there will be lines. If you show up at 2pm, there is a good chance you can breeze right through, regardless of the ship or the port.

Boarding usually begins somewhere between 11 and 12. Once those who have been corralled in the overcrowded rooms because they arrived early have been allowed to board, there is usually no further need to have people wait. You check in, go directly to the ship.

• Like 1

I was on the Gem out of Boston last week. We arrived at our chosen time (11:30 or so) and it took us about 20 minutes to check in and board the ship. There was no waiting to get on after we had finished the check-in process. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cajun-crazy said:

I will board Friday on Gem, so can’t answer your question.  It may be helpful to say which port you are embarking at. I bet it makes a difference.

Will embark in December in Miami - sail time is 4pm. 

Let me know how boarding goes on your trip!

18 hours ago, julig22 said:

It will depend on the port and your timing. If everyone shows up at 9:30, regardless of the actual time they chose for check-in, there will be lines. If you show up at 2pm, there is a good chance you can breeze right through, regardless of the ship or the port.

Boarding usually begins somewhere between 11 and 12. Once those who have been corralled in the overcrowded rooms because they arrived early have been allowed to board, there is usually no further need to have people wait. You check in, go directly to the ship.

Thanks! Departing from Miami.

Yeah - I reserved a shuttle for 10:30 from Miami Beach - so not a long drive. Of course - I don't know if they will be doing other pickups. But - my hope is to be at the port at 11.  I have to be onboard before 2 since we sail at 4. 

16 hours ago, Hot Stop said:

I was on the Gem out of Boston last week. We arrived at our chosen time (11:30 or so) and it took us about 20 minutes to check in and board the ship. There was no waiting to get on after we had finished the check-in process. 

Thanks! That is reassuring. 20 minutes still sucks, but much better than what I went through on the Bliss! Waiting in line is one thing - but being corralled was miserable. 

17 hours ago, Asawi said:

Surely it must depend on what port it is but when I boarded Gem in Civitavecchia last year it was the smoothest fastest embarkment you could imagine. 

Thanks! That is very reassuring. Yeah - super easy last time I was on the Gem - but I had priority boarding then. 

If all goes well with the disembarking passengers, you should be able to board somewhere between 11:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M.  Terminal will open to accept new passengers hopefully around 9:30 A.M.

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JSar said:

Thanks! That is reassuring. 20 minutes still sucks, but much better than what I went through on the Bliss! Waiting in line is one thing - but being corralled was miserable. 

You can’t do it much faster than 20 minutes even if you are the only person in the building. Don’t know what you expect but if it is faster than 20 minutes you need to temper those expectations. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, JSar said:

Thanks! Departing from Miami.

Yeah - I reserved a shuttle for 10:30 from Miami Beach - so not a long drive. Of course - I don't know if they will be doing other pickups. But - my hope is to be at the port at 11.  I have to be onboard before 2 since we sail at 4. 

To reiterate - boarding will not begin before 11 (it's usually listed at noon but they often start early). If you arrive at 11 you most likely will be corralled and will have to wait as all the people who have arrived in the previous 2 hours will board in groups. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zqvol said:

You can’t do it much faster than 20 minutes even if you are the only person in the building. Don’t know what you expect but if it is faster than 20 minutes you need to temper those expectations. 

I was referring the lines and being corralled. Yes - 20 minutes of standing in line still sucks - but much better than what I went through on the Bliss. With priority boarding I literally walked up, they scanned my bags, I literally walked up, they did priority check in, once that was complete, I literally walked up and did the safety station check in and done. Scanning bags and actual check in took about 10 minutes total. 

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

To reiterate - boarding will not begin before 11 (it's usually listed at noon but they often start early). If you arrive at 11 you most likely will be corralled and will have to wait as all the people who have arrived in the previous 2 hours will board in groups. 

Yeah - I will see what they list as the earliest check in time and adjust as needed once they list it. Our departure time was moved up 1 1/2 hours. And I will say - we were scheduled to check in aboard the Gem last time a bit earlier than that. We were definitely onboard earlier than 11 - although I am uncertain of the time. Seems to me it was around 10 and we were scheduled for a later departure. 

@JSar You’re on the Dec 20 cruise, right? (We are on Dec 2 Gem out of Miami and the ship doesn’t depart until 5:00)

If yes, your ship is going to be a very full (more than double occupancy) because it’s a 14 day double holiday cruise. So perhaps you may want to delay getting to the port until noon, when all the early arrivals (like 9:30 onward) have boarded the ship and crowds in the terminal have dispersed. Plus, the rooms will not be ready until 2pm and you don’t want to lug your carry-ons around the crowded ship for so long. 

And be forewarned, there are many families with kids … but you’ll enjoy the holiday cruise!! (Been there done that a few times).

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 4:11 AM, bluesea777 said:

@JSar You’re on the Dec 20 cruise, right? (We are on Dec 2 Gem out of Miami and the ship doesn’t depart until 5:00)

If yes, your ship is going to be a very full (more than double occupancy) because it’s a 14 day double holiday cruise. So perhaps you may want to delay getting to the port until noon, when all the early arrivals (like 9:30 onward) have boarded the ship and crowds in the terminal have dispersed. Plus, the rooms will not be ready until 2pm and you don’t want to lug your carry-ons around the crowded ship for so long. 

And be forewarned, there are many families with kids … but you’ll enjoy the holiday cruise!! (Been there done that a few times).

Yes, thank you so much! Yeah - not crazy about the potential for lots of families, but I booked the Thermal Suite pass so at least that will be a kid free zone! Kind of nervous though - the Thermal Suite was wonderful on the Bliss with the great view windows (where we viewed the glaciers from) - don't like the segregation of the steam rooms on the Gem - which means my son will have to go to a separate steam area. We like hanging out in the thermal suite instead of the crowded pool area. But if he doesn't like being segregated - I am sure he will hang out at the pool with my daughter. 

I think we were originally departing at 5:30, but they changed it to 4pm. Not too worried about our carry ons... we usually manage that just fine.

Edited by JSar