Considering Oceania- enjoy dancing!

bandp407

Hello Fellow Cruisers, 

My husband & I (81 & 71) are seasoned cruisers. We have sailed primarily with Celebrity, but also with HAL, RCCL & Princess. We are considering Oceania, namely the Allura in the Caribbean for either November 2025 or early 2026. One of our biggest questions-will we have an opportunity for good music and some dancing after dinner and perhaps in the lounge pre dinner or show? We don’t expect they will have a club going till the wee small hours , but we don’t want to finish dinner and that’s it! Also, is it worth upgrading from a B2 or B3 to an A2 or A3? 

Would appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance. 

8 hours ago, bandp407 said:

is it worth upgrading from a B2 or B3 to an A2 or A3? 

Only you can make that call.  Check out the list of benefits of being in a Concierge level cabin and decide if it's worth the extra money. We think it is. Location may also come into your consideration. It doesnt for us. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Only you can make that call.  Check out the list of benefits of being in a Concierge level cabin and decide if it's worth the extra money. We think it is. Location may also come into your consideration. It doesnt for us. 

Thank you- yes, I will check it all out. I think I missed a sale ? Any comments on the evening music? 

4 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Any comments on the evening music? 

With regard to the music which I presume relates to your dancing interest, then I'm afraid I'd suggest it's low key. I recall that the band plays for about 45 minutes in the late afternoon and again late evening. 

2 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you- yes, I will check it all out. I think I missed a sale ? Any comments on the evening music? 

The band plays in Horizons at 10:30.  There is a dance floor.

They may also play on the pool deck in the afternoon, weather permitting. 

They have not played in the lounge pre-show on my recent cruises.  That may depend on the ship however.

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

The band plays in Horizons at 10:30.  There is a dance floor.

They may also play on the pool deck in the afternoon, weather permitting. 

They have not played in the lounge pre-show on my recent cruises.  That may depend on the ship however.

Thank you - this is encouraging! Perhaps given the size & number of passengers on the Allura, they may add some additional music! 

6 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Perhaps given the size & number of passengers on the Allura, they may add some additional music

I wouldnt bet on it. My recollections upthread were based on our cruise on the similarly sized Vista earlier this year

5 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you - this is encouraging! Perhaps given the size & number of passengers on the Allura, they may add some additional music! 

Did they on Vista? Marina and Riviera are just as big. Having said that most of the time the bands play in Horizons during Happy Hour , pre dinner on most of the ships. 

Don’t make me post the Currents again. The internet on the ship is frightening. But I just looked at it and they play tonight at 5:15-6 and again at 10:30 on Nautica. 

The good thing though is you’ll pretty much have the dance floor to yourself. Dancing is not real big in Oceania culture. 

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

Did they on Vista? Marina and Riviera are just as big. Having said that most of the time the bands play in Horizons during Happy Hour , pre dinner on most of the ships. 

Don’t make me post the Currents again. The internet on the ship is frightening. But I just looked at it and they play tonight at 5:15-6 and again at 10:30 on Nautica. 

The good thing though is you’ll pretty much have the dance floor to yourself. Dancing is not real big in Oceania culture. 

ORV - thank you so very much. You have given me exactly what we needed to hear, including the times for the bands. This may not be for us. Enjoy your cruise!!

Just got back from a Vista cruise and Horizons bar was rocking from after the show (about 10:15). People of all ages up dancing with a few 70 and 80 year olds leading the way on the jive to much applause 😁 A mixture of lively and slower music - no ball room though.

This cruise did have a much younger demographic though. I did say to my husband that we must be getting old as the music played in the Terrace Cafe at lunch and breakfast was our era (1980s 😁)

Edited by Techno123

15 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Hello Fellow Cruisers, 

My husband & I (81 & 71) are seasoned cruisers. We have sailed primarily with Celebrity, but also with HAL, RCCL & Princess. We are considering Oceania, namely the Allura in the Caribbean for either November 2025 or early 2026. One of our biggest questions-will we have an opportunity for good music and some dancing after dinner and perhaps in the lounge pre dinner or show? We don’t expect they will have a club going till the wee small hours , but we don’t want to finish dinner and that’s it! Also, is it worth upgrading from a B2 or B3 to an A2 or A3? 

I do not know what type of dancing you are looking for.  If ballroom-style:  our Oceania cruises have been primarily on the smaller R ships and there has been precious little if any ballroom dancing.  Crystal does a much better job and they even have dance hosts for single ladies or ladies whose partners are not into dancing.

12 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Just got back from a Vista cruise and Horizons bar was rocking from after the show (about 10:15). People of all ages up dancing with a few 70 and 80 year olds leading the way on the jive to much applause 😁 A mixture of lively and slower music - no ball room though.

This cruise did have a much younger demographic though. I did say to my husband that we must be getting old as the music played in the Terrace Cafe at lunch and dinner was our era (1980s 😁)

many thanks Techno123! The Horizon bar atmosphere sounds great & pretty much what we are looking for. No ballroom for us. Also given it will be a 7 night Caribbean, it could work! Will wait

on pricing and decide. Hope you enjoyed your cruise! 

7 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

I do not know what type of dancing you are looking for.  If ballroom-style:  our Oceania cruises have been primarily on the smaller R ships and there has been precious little if any ballroom dancing.  Crystal does a much better job and they even have dance hosts for single ladies or ladies whose partners are not into dancing.

Thank you ! No, we are not looking for ballroom. 60’s, 70’s & 80’s works! The band makes the difference. They need to play for their audience. 

1 hour ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you ! No, we are not looking for ballroom. 60’s, 70’s & 80’s works! The band makes the difference. They need to play for their audience. 

Some cruises will have a guest band as well.  A few years ago, my cruise on Marina had a guest band that did a Beatles tribute in Horizons at 10:30.  There were at least 200 people up there with many on the dance floor. 

The band really does make the difference.  A couple of years ago we were on a Carribean cruise on the Riviera.  The band was fantastic.  I had so much fun.  And my husband had fun too because he really doesn't like to dance, and he could just watch.  But there were couples, and women dancing alone, and everyone had fun.  And the band really was good and really engaged with those in the audience.

The next year we were on Vista in the Carribean, and the band just wasn't that good, they weren't bad, just not as good and they didn't get the dancers out on the floor, and they had fewer people in Horizons at night.  

I guess when you take a cruise the entertainment can vary.  Our last cruise on Nautica only had a band for ballroom dancers.  Not my thing but the two or three couples looked who were dancing looked like they were having fun making sure every step was perfect.  So glad I'm a wild child from the 60s.

On 9/3/2024 at 8:28 PM, bandp407 said:

Hello Fellow Cruisers, 

The line is generally designed for quiet nights. There is a string quartet, and a show, and sometimes an event around 11 in Horizons. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

The line is generally designed for quiet nights. There is a string quartet, and a show, and sometimes an event around 11 in Horizons. Hope this helps

Thank you all so much ! Yes, it helps. We don’t believe it’s for us. 

Happy Cruising Everyone!

45 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

We don’t believe it’s for us. 

Funnily enough, when I read your OP, I thought that might well be your conclusion. And I'm pretty sure you've made the right decision. Enjoy future cruises with whoever.

Just now, Harters said:

Funnily enough, when I read your OP, I thought that might well be your conclusion. And I'm pretty sure you've made the right decision. Enjoy future cruises with whoever.

You as well ! ⛴️🥂⛴️🥂

bandp407,

Don't give up on a Carribean cruise.  There is dancing on Marina, Riviera and Vista and we've had great fun on those ships.  We usually leave by 11:00 pm but do have fun at Horizons after dinner.  They have two for one drinks and we've always found they had a fun crowd.  And several afternoons the band is up by the pool and while there isn't a dance floor they don't mind if a few people dance.  And I'm one of those people.  

We just finished a Baltic cruise, and the band played old people's music for dancing and I'm an old person but I'm just not into ballroom dancing.  The cruise was fun and we had a great time but it wasn't a great dancing cruise.  So, we just chatted with others and drank.  That's fun too.

28 minutes ago, iowananny said:

bandp407,

Don't give up on a Carribean cruise.  There is dancing on Marina, Riviera and Vista and we've had great fun on those ships.  We usually leave by 11:00 pm but do have fun at Horizons after dinner.  They have two for one drinks and we've always found they had a fun crowd.  And several afternoons the band is up by the pool and while there isn't a dance floor they don't mind if a few people dance.  And I'm one of those people.  

We just finished a Baltic cruise, and the band played old people's music for dancing and I'm an old person but I'm just not into ballroom dancing.  The cruise was fun and we had a great time but it wasn't a great dancing cruise.  So, we just chatted with others and drank.  That's fun too.

Glad you enjoyed & did some dancing! 

6 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you all so much ! Yes, it helps. We don’t believe it’s for us. 

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Have you considered Princess? Yes I know it’s not considered as premium a line but I have never seen so much dancing! Haha! Dancing, dancing all day and evening. They all seemed to be having a blast and so many ballroom dancers…serious stuff! (Enjoyed watching them)

edited to add that I missed the fact you have sailed Princess! Sorry! (Fact remains, I have never seen so much dancing on a cruise! Haha! 👍🏻)

Edited by durberville

1 hour ago, durberville said:

Have you considered Princess? Yes I know it’s not considered as premium a line but I have never seen so much dancing! Haha! Dancing, dancing all day and evening. They all seemed to be having a blast and so many ballroom dancers…serious stuff! (Enjoyed watching them)

edited to add that I missed the fact you have sailed Princess! Sorry! (Fact remains, I have never seen so much dancing on a cruise! Haha! 👍🏻)

durberville- this is hilarious! Now that we are not doing Oceania, I just booked a 10 night on the Enchanted Princess for the same time frame. We were on the ship a few week ago and yes, the ship was alive-not crazy-but lots of music and dancing ! Holland America & BBKing is fun too as is Celebrity with the right bands. While they may not be at the level of Oceania food and service, they are pretty good and a lot of fun! At our age( I say it in my original post) if we don’t enjoy now, then when!!! Enjoy all of your cruises! 🥂🥂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

durberville- this is hilarious! Now that we are not doing Oceania, I just booked a 10 night on the Enchanted Princess for the same time frame. We were on the ship a few week ago and yes, the ship was alive-not crazy-but lots of music and dancing ! Holland America & BBKing is fun too as is Celebrity with the right bands. While they may not be at the level of Oceania food and service, they are pretty good and a lot of fun! At our age( I say it in my original post) if we don’t enjoy now, then when!!! Enjoy all of your cruises! 🥂🥂

Wonderful!!! Enjoy all your cruises also! Dance, dance, dance away! 💃 🕺 👋🏻