A cruise starting at Southampton

Sunday golf

We have cruised from Dover before, where embarkation was so easy. Would be interested to know if anyone has started their cruise from Southampton. Was it relaxed, any tips/advice would be appreciated. Looking to book for next year.

I’ve cruised from Southampton a few times. Very easy.  As you do not state, nor note in you avatar, where you are from, or if you are flying or driving to the port, it is difficult to know what advice to give.

I walked from the train station pulling my carryon. Not very far but a bit tricky to find the way to the port. Google maps helps.

I thought I would kill time getting lunch at the hotel nearby but they started boarding early. I was able to walk on, no waiting at all, and was on board for lunch.

Salisbury is a good overnight the night before the cruise. Caterbury is also OK but requires a train connection.

Edited by pavementends
  • Like 1

I sailed from Southampton last year and don't remember having any issues. I have a cruise booked out of Southampton for 2025 as well.

We did Southhampton from London last summer.  I think it was about $200 USD for a limo from our hotel to the dock.  We used Getyourguide.com to find a driver.  Super easy transfer!

3 hours ago, Sunday golf said:

Thank you sounds good. We live in the UK and would use a taxi to take us to the Mayflower Cruise Terminal.

Check that before you direct your taxi - Silversea usually uses City Cruise terminal, the big ships of other cruise lines use the Mayflower and they are a significant distance apart. Pray that you don’t get the Ocean Cruise terminal, it’s even further away, and it’s old and pretty ghastly. 
Even with those caveats, Southampton should be a smooth embarkation. 
I always check on MarineTraffic app to see exactly where my ship is docked. 

Edited by jollyjones

16 hours ago, Sunday golf said:

Thank you sounds good. We live in the UK and would use a taxi to take us to the Mayflower Cruise Terminal.

We live in West Sussex and have driven and parked when doing a round trip and also taken a taxi when return home required a flight. Both methods are very easy.