P&O good for my health and wallet

Bendown

Onboard Arvia at moment. This is my retirement year and  we booked three cruises to make the most of it. The onboard prices have gone up on all three cruises so we find ourselves drinking less and spending a lot less thank you P&O. Will not compare prices to pubs as don’t go to pubs 14 nights running. 😀. As it’s only September would bet 4th rise of the year on the cards.

16 minutes ago, Bendown said:

Onboard Arvia at moment. This is my retirement year and  we booked three cruises to make the most of it. The onboard prices have gone up on all three cruises so we find ourselves drinking less and spending a lot less thank you P&O. Will not compare prices to pubs as don’t go to pubs 14 nights running. 😀. As it’s only September would bet 4th rise of the year on the cards.

We are on Royal Caribbean in a couple if weeks

P&O onboard prices are a bargain.

• Haha 2

A pint of lager such as Peroni or Birra Moretti in my local pubs ranges from £6.25 to £7.40, Wetherspoons excepted. Here on Aurora a pint of Birra Moretti is currently £5.85.  No longer a huge saving for many and no doubt they can get it cheaper at home but for us a reasonable price.

15 hours ago, Bendown said:

I find the beer prices on P&O very reasonable.  I am not a million miles away from you and in fact I am a Cambridge United supporter and a pint of Camstar at the Abbey is £6.  So for an captivated audience on board a ship a pint of beer sub £6 is reasonable

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Makes the Drink Package all the more worthwhile.

Maybe thats the aim?  Gradually and frequently raise drink prices so it pushes more people into buying the drinks package?

It does the opposite for me, the more expensive the drink becomes the less I drink!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

Maybe thats the aim?  Gradually and frequently raise drink prices so it pushes more people into buying the drinks package?

It does the opposite for me, the more expensive the drink becomes the less I drink!

Spoken like a true Yorkshire man😁

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

I note the TV Advert for the Caribbean Fly Cruises now states from £1449 up from £1099 a few weeks ago. P&O Prices are rising fast!.

Taking a lead from Oasis and their dynamic pricing

5 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

I note the TV Advert for the Caribbean Fly Cruises now states from £1449 up from £1099 a few weeks ago. P&O Prices are rising fast!.

Yes

If you are a solo traveller you can double that and more ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

Not really, that is just seasonal adjustments, I would be surprised if the price doesn't go down once they get into January. We have paid similar to £1449 to the Caribbean nearly 20 years ago.

35 minutes ago, seahorse001 said:

Yes

If you are a solo traveller you can double that and more ...

Not true. The price quoted is per person, so for a couple you can double it. Solo prices are usually about 75% to 80% of what a couple would pay. And, you don't have to share and have the extra space to yourself!

It would be clearer if they quoted a price per cabin but until all cruise lines do that they won't. 

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

Not true. The price quoted is per person, so for a couple you can double it. Solo prices are usually about 75% to 80% of what a couple would pay. And, you don't have to share and have the extra space to yourself!

It would be clearer if they quoted a price per cabin but until all cruise lines do that they won't. 

Solo price is 170 to 180 % of price quoted. And you only get half cabin obc. 

19 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Solo price is 170 to 180 % of price quoted. And you only get half cabin obc. 

With the exception of the KC outside Queen Mary 2 cabins, which really are great (two huge round windows, big floor space and queen sized bed), I'm taking the hit on solo occupancy balcony cabins.  I've become way too fond of Virtuosa's extended balconies.   With Voyager discount (loyalty OBC is per person), I pay around 150%.

I would never take the drinks package for quite a few reasons.  With our current drinking pattern of 2 large glasses of wine at 7 pm in the Crows Nest and a bottle with dinner, a rare coffee and don't do soft drinks or cocktails, we might be ashore one day, we might be not well another day.  I can't imagine paying the drinks package and then something happens and you don't spend half of it.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

I love a drink but my Son who is coming with me this time only drinks maybe a bottle of cider and a cocktail meaning it would not be worth getting the drinks package. I'm on holiday and part of holidaying for me is eating and drinking out so have an expectation of spending a bunch of pounds on that and fridge magnets.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FangedRose said:

But you get double the space.

Not necessarily. My single balcony on Arcadia last month was almost as big as the double my two friends had, however, I paid nearly the same price for it as they did for theirs. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Not necessarily. My single balcony on Arcadia last month was almost as big as the double my two friends had, however, I paid nearly the same price for it as they did for theirs. 

It is well known that dedicated single cabins are in short supply due to their scarcity. It is often cheaper to get a double cabin for solo occupancy, especially on the older ships.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

It is well known that dedicated single cabins are in short supply due to their scarcity. It is often cheaper to get a double cabin for solo occupancy, especially on the older ships.

Yes agree.  Our friend who used to cruise with us always took the double for single occupancy.  So much more room as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FangedRose said:

When you look at the prices on line they are per cabin on most cruises.

On 9/6/2024 at 5:39 PM, Megabear2 said:

A pint of lager such as Peroni or Birra Moretti in my local pubs ranges from £6.25 to £7.40, Wetherspoons excepted. Here on Aurora a pint of Birra Moretti is currently £5.85.  No longer a huge saving for many and no doubt they can get it cheaper at home but for us a reasonable price.

Whether you perceive beer prices to be cheap or expensive depends to a large extent on where you live.

When I first started sailing with P&O draught beer prices were roughly the same as I paid in my local in Lancashire, but people from London and the South East thought them to be an absolute bargain. When I last sailed with P&O they were much higher than I paid at home, but apparently still cheap for the South East. Then recently I sailed in Scandinavia with another line. Beer onshore (the ship was all inclusive) worked out about £6 to £7 for a pint of lager. Northerners thought it expensive but for Southerners it was no different to what they were paying at home.

• Like 5