Escargots - which Formal night?

canadarocks

3 hours ago, Mississippian said:

I'm pretty sure escargot used to be available every night. If not, they were on the menu a bunch. We were told some cockandbull story about a "shortage" -- and I do think there was a temporary shortage -- but the fact is today escargot are cheap. A can of 96 snails from a restaurant supply house costs $8, so fifty cents a serving. There is zero reason this shouldn't be on the menu every night.

I think you need to find another cruise line. I have been cruising Princess for 35 years and have only seen the snails on formal night ever. Why not Lobster every night ?  Or Beef Wellington every night ?

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I think you need to find another cruise line. I have been cruising Princess for 35 years and have only seen the snails on formal night ever. Why not Lobster every night ?  Or Beef Wellington every night ?

Because those are very expensive, while escargot are very, very, super cheap. That's my point, they are so cheap there is no need to treat them as something rare and special. If lobster tails only cost fifty cents I would be saying they should be served every night. And in the mid-2000s, escargot were served very regularly, not just on formal night.

1 hour ago, Mississippian said:

And in the mid-2000s, escargot were served very regularly, not just on formal night.

I don't remember that, but then I wouldn't have ordered them anyway.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mississippian said:

I'm pretty sure escargot used to be available every night. If not, they were on the menu a bunch. We were told some cockandbull story about a "shortage" -- and I do think there was a temporary shortage -- but the fact is today escargot are cheap. A can of 96 snails from a restaurant supply house costs $8, so fifty cents a serving. There is zero reason this shouldn't be on the menu every night.

I remember escargot being served every night on Celebrity but I don't remember it being served every night on Princess. With that said, I do remember a snail shortage on one of my Celebrity cruises because they didn't have it all week and they used those escargot dishes to server a mushroom appetizer that was awful.