10-night Intensive Cruise

cruisemate2007

My husband and I are in our 70’s and in good health however I have reservations about booking a 10 day intensive cruise to Spain.  We will be on the Azamara Onward.  Should I be concerned it is too much?  Do not want to return home exhausted.

It depends on you, how intensive your cruise will be. You need not to have a daily programme that leaves you exhausted.

Pick your favourites in the ports and see what happens.

You are free to stay on board if you feel not fit enough for exploring.

• Like 4

We'd recommend you go for it!  Many of the ports will have Panoramic Excursions where you are able to get a pretty good feel for the area without expending a ton of energy, and Azamara often docks close so you can walk right into the city.  The ship is fairly easy to get around and if you don't feel quite so adventurous that day, there are great venues on the ship where you can enjoy music and entertainment, savor some of the local delicacies, and enjoy talking with fellow passengers.  We have an upcoming B2B2B that includes Spain, France, and Italy intensive sailings that we booked 18 months ago.  

Edited by Raydonna
  • Like 3

I would recommend you book some time on land pre-cruise and post-cruise if you are flying from North America so you can adjust to the time change and get into a vacation pace before you get on the ship, and maybe rest a bit afterwards as it will be a lot of port days and tours for sure.  Not sure what time of year, but you have to take the heat exhaustion into account in Europe between June and September as well.

• Like 2

My husband and I are also in our 70s and about to embark on a B2B 17 night intensive cruises with no sea days. This will be a new experience for us, as we usually book itineraries with lots of sea days. We plan to mix excursions with time onboard, so we will not get too tired and still have the the onboard experience.

We’re 80 and 78 and my husband has spinal stenosis so can’t walk far. We’re just about to embark on our 14th Azamara cruise which is a Spain intensive. We’ve done lots of research and plan to do a mixture of ship tours and sight-seeing on our own using hop-on-hop-off buses and taxis. We don’t usually go off the ship for more than half a day and spend the other part of the day resting, which works well for us.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We’re 80 and 78 and my husband has spinal stenosis so can’t walk far. We’re just about to embark on our 14th Azamara cruise which is a Spain intensive. We’ve done lots of research and plan to do a mixture of ship tours and sight-seeing on our own using hop-on-hop-off buses and taxis. We don’t usually go off the ship for more than half a day and spend the other part of the day resting, which works well for us.

Wow….God Bless…Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are a couple from NYC who are each 78 years old, on our first Azamara cruise. A  close friend, who has taken many Azamara cruises, highly recommended this to us. We've already booked some on-board trips as well as separate tours. We'd appreciate sharing tips with you.

We're arriving in Barcelona on 10/22 and we'll be staying in Portugal for about 6 days after we dock. Carol's email is carol@safeconnections.com and Philip's is philstone@mindspring.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by Carol Kramer

Hi Carol - We changed directions.  We are now going from Athens to Venice and not until August 2025 and no longer on Azamara.  Perhaps you can still give me some tips after you come back since we did book a 10 day intensive cruise.  Would want to hear about all the “What not do”. Enjoy your trip!