Diamond Princess - Tokyo to Sydney and beyond, 4th Sep 2024

Hello, from somewhere in the East China Sea. Just thought I'd post the Patters and other info with a bit of commentary. Anyone else out there, feel free to add to the thread.

I booked this cruise a few days after it came out in Apr 2023 and was able to pick an aft balcony on Deck 10 for a reasonable price with $600O BC. I don't have a package so I'll use the OBC for 3 ship excursions and a few days on the Internet. The balconies are on deck 10 are the wider ones so its handy being able to pull my chair out of the sun. There are 2616 passengers aboard, with 1800+ from Australia with 100+ from NZ, US, UK and Japan. I asked for a kettle as I've bought some sachets with me and I won't need to purchase Ocean Now as a few floors up and I'm actually in the buffet, not much further than the kitchen at home. The TV has my ABC News as well as Sky, BBC, Sports and so on. I like my News and its actually on at the right time to watch it. I like Movie Under the Stars and weather has been perfect for it. I notice some folks watching from the pool. The humidity has been high. I tend to wilt these days in high humidity. There is a universal plug near the bed as well as the USB in the lamp base.

Edited by Yaya_in_Oz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thank you. One of our fave ships from years gone by. I hope she is still in great nick, and I look forward to my February cruise. Over 11 days, we will  be giving Ocean now a bit of a workout.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Now for some passport/customs information

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_0131 (1).jpg

Thanks for this info. It gives be a good idea of what to expect when we do the Sydney-Japan repositioning in February.

If you see a waiter around named Ana Joy - she will probably be in one of the MDRs (Savoy?) in the evenings but may be in the buffet at breakfast or lunch - please say hello from Julie and Rolf and ask her if she will still be on the ship in February. Ana Joy and Fernando were our dinner waiters last year when we did a Japan cruise. They were wonderful so we're hoping we'll see them again. 

• Like 2

Shimizu.

Having been in the Tokyo area a few times previously, I still hadn't caught a decent glimpse of Mt Fuji. Once I'd actually taken a bus part the way up and it was still in fog. The closet I've come was a vague outline from the Landmark Tower in Yokohama.

Well look what I saw when I awoke to us pulling into Shimizu. For once I was on the right side of the ship! When I went out on the excursion, some were asking the tour guide to point out Mt Fuji, not realising you could see it from the ship. The excursion was a bit rushed as the Diamond was leaving at 2pm, rather than the usual 5 or 6 pm.

I went back to the ship and had lunch on my balcony. You'd pay a fortune for this sort of view normally. How lucky am I ?

IMG_5289 (1).jpg

IMG_5301 (7).jpg

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Thank you. One of our fave ships from years gone by. I hope she is still in great nick, and I look forward to my February cruise. Over 11 days, we will  be giving Ocean now a bit of a workout.

Yes, I love the Diamond, but it has lost some of that Japanese feel as announcements are not bilingual as they are when you sail around Japan. There are some staff who are Japanese, so its still a nice ship but we could be anywhere.

• Like 4

Good news.

After a failed new recipe on Coral last year, I see the original soft, chewy Oatmeal cookies are back.

Yummy.

Also, having not been on a Skywalker’s ship for years, I had forgotten how peaceful & quiet it was up here in the early afternoon.

Lovely.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Good news.

After a failed new recipe on Coral last year, I see the original soft, chewy Oatmeal cookies are back.

Yummy.

Also, having not been on a Skywalker’s ship for years, I had forgotten how peaceful & quiet it was up here in the early afternoon.

Lovely.

Yes, great spot for most of the day.

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yes, great spot for most of the day.

We were surprised how many people were using Skywalkers on the Diamond during the day. We struggled to find a seat the first time we went up there in the afternoon. There were groups playing cards, some ladies knitting, some reading and quite a few snoozing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

We were surprised how many people were using Skywalkers on the Diamond during the day. We struggled to find a seat the first time we went up there in the afternoon. There were groups playing cards, some ladies knitting, some reading and quite a few snoozing. 

I just wish they'd serve coffees up there during the day. Although that might change the ambiance. Perhaps they could post signs saying it's a quiet zone cafe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just wish they'd serve coffees up there during the day. Although that might change the ambiance. Perhaps they could post signs saying it's a quiet zone cafe. 

I think we expected the bar to be open and perhaps hot drinks being served but there was nothing. We had taken water with us (as we always do) so at least we had a drink while we sat reading and just watching the sea. 

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think we expected the bar to be open and perhaps hot drinks being served but there was nothing. We had taken water with us (as we always do) so at least we had a drink while we sat reading and just watching the sea. 

I've always thought it's a lost sales opportunity for Princess, especially when ships with Skywalkers are in Australia. There are never enough places to sit and enjoy coffees in wherever they do offer them - Good Spirits, International Cafe, sometimes Crooners or the Wheelhouse Bar. I don't count the buffet areas as they aren't the most pleasant places to relax. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Third day up here, still only a few people and generally quiet.

Personally, I simply get my drink from the Calypso bar on the way and bring it on up with me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Surely they do, via medallion?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Personally, I simply get my drink from the Calypso bar on the way and bring it on up with me.

At first I was surprised they did not open the bar and coffee up there, but then realised if they did it would no longer be a quite place to chill out. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, colourbird said:

It's strange the patters don't show which times Izumi is operating male / female clothing optional.

We were planning to make use of it during our February 2025 cruise.

The Patters list Izumi at the bottom left. I wandered in there today. Took a couple of pics. Men and women are separate in the onsen area. Can wear swimmers but some prefer to be nude as it’s more relaxing. Water temp about 41-42 deg C. 😰 Outside pool mixed. Wear swimmers, water temp about 28.

IMG_5460.jpeg

IMG_5458.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/8/2024 at 12:41 PM, arxcards said:

A few new things. We now have porcelain plates etc. in the buffet. Embossed. Plastic glasses still. I hope they keep them. On my balcony they have put rubbers between the partitions. Of course you can hear people but it makes it more private. Universal plug as mentioned and a nice magnet in the shop.

IMG_5462.jpeg

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5463.jpeg

IMG_5450.jpeg

Edited by Yaya_in_Oz
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I usually only go up there to take pics. Great view! When I have a balcony, that’s where you’ll find me 😎

• Like 2

We have 6 sea days after Manila so I’ll wander on down to the Savoy and anywhere else you may have questions and see what I can find out.

They gave us some free Internet today to get the Philippines arrival info done. Lots of people needing help. Long line at help desk and they put on an info session in the theatre but a few people said to me “I don’t care, I’ll stay on the ship”. Hope that’s allowed! But it’s tricky. For example, purpose of visit. No, don’t put holiday put other or it will ask you more questions. I was stumped on the last one - take a screenshot. No idea how but managed to download QR code into a file for easy access.

I‘ll write a bit about the ports on the string of sea days.

Sun has just set, it’s lovely out with a tipple, just hoping I’m not one of the 10% that Hk immigration want to see face to face. They go first, the rest can then follow. See how that goes. Cheers.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, arxcards said:

Surely they do, via medallion?

Possibly but there are some spots where ordering via the medallion is blocked. Plus single espressos aren't the best ordered that way.

Currently in Skywalkers.

Sitting in the starboard side ‘wing’ in the aircon with the view to Hong Kong Island.

Still like to do my own drinks diy.

Used the outside steps from Skywalkers down to the Outriggers bar at the back of Horizon Court.

Nice day wandering the back streets off Nathan Rd in TST.

• Like 1