Programming keycards for TWO rooms (on Breakaway)

lisa928

We have been on more than a dozen NCL cruise but recently opting for two adjoining balconies with our teenagers.  We first sailed with this layout on the Joy and were happy they could program our keycard to open both rooms.  Our next cruise was on the Star and were told they could not so two of us had to carry two cards, not ideal for the teenager.  I can only imagine it was due to the age of the ship, but just a guess.  Our next cruise is on the Breakaway, which we have been a couple of times before but never across two rooms.

Does anyone know, specifically on the Breakaway, if keycards can be programmed for two rooms?

Any NCL I’ve been on just makes a spare key. They don’t activate the key for multiple rooms. At least in my experience. Was just on Encore this week, which is newer. We traveled with family and just had to get spare keys made. 

while i admit, im no keycard expert, it seems  programming a key card to open 2 rooms would logistically cause a problem. it would allow all the people  to charge all the items to that  one account. there may be things that you dont want your teens to buy. also, is it necessary for y our kids to have complete access to your cabin (and vice versa) at all times

10 minutes ago, complawyer said:

while i admit, im no keycard expert, it seems  programming a key card to open 2 rooms would logistically cause a problem. it would allow all the people  to charge all the items to that  one account. there may be things that you dont want your teens to buy. also, is it necessary for y our kids to have complete access to your cabin (and vice versa) at all times

The charging the account and opening the door should have different commands. I don't know if the technical limitation of the hardware (the card) would limit it, but as far as programming it should not cause an issue. 

Just THINK about it for a moment.

1000+ cabins on the ship. When needed, security can enter any room, does anyone think that security personnel carry a card for each cabin, or 1 card that will open any cabin?

That room steward that cleans your cabin along with a dozen others...think they carry one card to open all their assigned rooms, or have you seen them walking around with an entire stack of cards?

• Like 1

Edit, I did say adjoining but meant connecting.  As far as carrying two cards for the teens they store their keycard in their phone case and two does not work.  With one card when theycome in my room after I was long asleep it is not fun to be awakened when my door suddenly opens in the middle of the night. 

We will work with what we have and still have a great time, was just hoping some out there had experience to share. 

11 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

That room steward that cleans your cabin along with a dozen others...think they carry one card to open all their assigned rooms, or have you seen them walking around with an entire stack of cards?

On the newer ships where you just hold your key up to the door pad (don't have to insert it into the pad), the room stewards use a key fob that opens all of their doors. I would think an insertable key could be programmed the same way. 

asawi. i believe when you board and get your key card, its programmed to not only open your cabin door, but as a credit card for any and all purchases on board from food, drinks, excursions etc. there are no 2 commands. consequently if all 4 people have the same card, only the account corresponding to that card will be charged. 

the card can tell  the difference between opening a door, or being used to charge a specialty dinner.

it aint than clever.

if i'm mistaken, accept my humble apology

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

the card can tell  the difference between opening a door, or being used to charge a specialty dinner.

The device reading it should be able to pick up the relevant command.