Sojourn is a happy place

SistersInFun

All is well on the Sojourn!  We have been cruising for 3 weeks now and thanks to the past advocacy of the mighty Seabourn Sailors,  Cruise Critic members  and a great management team,  we can proudly say we have grandma’s cake, lunch is open at the restaurant on port days (thanks SLSD!) two fluffy bathmats, ice cream cones at the pool, Luxor cherries, lots of caviar, after dinner coffee in the square, upgraded pool chairs, hot and delicious food!
And  just when we think things can’t get any better while we were well taken care of by Harry, we now we have Lucca as Hotel Director!
Our only complaint is we can’t ever manage to win at trivia! And I mean ever! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

So glad all is wonderful!   I think we sailed together on the April 23 ovation crossing.

the sojourn was wonderful late July through mid august…it was our best seabourn cruise since 22.  We were very successful at trivia our first week! 😃.  You have a great CD, Robert.

keep enjoying,

Nancy

9 hours ago, SistersInFun said:

All is well on the Sojourn!  We have been cruising for 3 weeks now and thanks to the past advocacy of the mighty Seabourn Sailors,  Cruise Critic members  and a great management team,  we can proudly say we have grandma’s cake, lunch is open at the restaurant on port days (thanks SLSD!) two fluffy bathmats, ice cream cones at the pool, Luxor cherries, lots of caviar, after dinner coffee in the square, upgraded pool chairs, hot and delicious food!
And  just when we think things can’t get any better while we were well taken care of by Harry, we now we have Lucca as Hotel Director!
Our only complaint is we can’t ever manage to win at trivia! And I mean ever! 

This is all great. news!!   We did enjoy our time on Sojourn this summer.  I hope you are enjoying lunch in the Restaurant!

Thanks @SistersInFun. We’ll be boarding end of February 2025 so perhaps stay on, or come back.  Will be like old times (on Ovation),  Glad to hear Lucca is HD.  (Sorry to hear about Trivia.  Don’t be jelly but I won another bear and a polar bear and also a puffin on Venture.)

18 hours ago, SistersInFun said:

All is well on the Sojourn!  We have been cruising for 3 weeks now and thanks to the past advocacy of the mighty Seabourn Sailors,  Cruise Critic members  and a great management ............

We cruised with you 14 days Dover to Dover and agree with most of what you say.

We were also glad SLSD sorted the Restaurant opening (thanks!!) - and shows what poppycock she was told as the reason why! Our 14 day cruise was re-designated without our knowledge as 2x7 days after we booked. There was even a Galley Lunch in week 2 which was the best organised we have ever seen. I think Chef Ainsley has had an influence - he was visible AND interested.

Almost every member of staff was excellent and the best - well done. But as seasoned SB cruisers either we are getting tired of the SB or the product is somewhat the curled up at the edges like offering from Seabourn square below - which continued despite our comments.

image.thumb.jpeg.f782a2d81e990869789d9a7846d0e6d0.jpeg

Ship is looking a little worn (particularly on the exterior), product has changed little over the years and needs some original thought and new ideas (Solis excepted - well done SB - 2 excellent meals and service and a million % better than TK (sorry I am from the UK)!).

We left SS years ago because it became impersonal. SB is still personal, but there are too many apologies for things that do not happen or go very wrong. The sandwich is an example where management should have been checking regularly- but clearly did not even after the event.

SB is still good, but sadly has declined. I wonder whether HAL have been deliberately "re-positioning" SB? Time will tell

We still enjoyed, but full expectations were not met. I feel sorry for the many excellent staff, some of whom may find their contract not renewed with the demise of Odyssey and subsequent over-staffing.

We will try SB again - we have a free week to use up - but are seriously thinking about trying SS again or Regent, which seems to have good reviews of their newer ship

• Like 1

Glad to hear that all is well on Sojourn.  Unfortunately that was not the case with our recent Encore cruise when the MDR was NEVER open on sea days for breakfast nor lunch.  Last morning breakfast a mess as outside deck of Colonnade was closed at 8 a.m. when everyone departs their suites and Patio grill breakfast not open.  Very poor planning. 

As I noted in the thread about wines they ran out of many of the not very good complimentary wines and services was often lacking at the bars when they were busy.  No waiters at Sky Bar for embarkation sail away, multiple night in Obs Bar under staffed.  No interaction with senior staff - never knew who the F&B guy was and only saw the Hot Man 4 times, twice at the Captains walk around and tell the same stories he told last time.  21st cruise on Seabourn, if it was my first it would have been my last. 

Yes Regent new ships are IMO very good, great outside space (pickle ball court, well padded loungers) only think lacking is a Sky Bar equal as the pool bar doesn't have a lot of seating.  But much more covered places to sit outside at pool grill in the shade than on Seabourn.  And always at least 1 specialty sit down restaurant is open for lunch.

9 hours ago, caviarforme said:

We cruised with you 14 days Dover to Dover and agree with most of what you say.

We were also glad SLSD sorted the Restaurant opening (thanks!!) - and shows what poppycock she was told as the reason why! Our 14 day cruise was re-designated without our knowledge as 2x7 days after we booked. There was even a Galley Lunch in week 2 which was the best organised we have ever seen. I think Chef Ainsley has had an influence - he was visible AND interested.

Let's see--I was told that the MDR would be open for breakfast and lunch on itineraries longer than 7 days.   And then someone said it was NOT open on their 10 day cruise.  To tell you the truth, we are told something different every time we cruise. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SLSD said:

To tell you the truth, we are told something different every time we cruise. 

Which is a problem....   What exactly is the policy?  And how does the length of the cruise matter if on a sea day the MDR is open?  Illogical policy IMO that the length of a cruise determines when a venue is open.  Will they only open the Sky Bar in the future for a 7+ day cruise?  I was told on the Encore - by someone we have sailed with before and is now an Assistant Maître D' - that the decision is up to the Hotel Director.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Which is a problem....   What exactly is the policy?  And how does the length of the cruise matter if on a sea day the MDR is open?  Illogical policy IMO that the length of a cruise determines when a venue is open.  Will they only open the Sky Bar in the future for a 7+ day cruise?  I was told on the Encore - by someone we have sailed with before and is now an Assistant Maître D' - that the decision is up to the Hotel Director.  

I have no idea why it matters how long the cruise is---but the same metric is used for other things.  For example:  whether or not there is a Galley lunch and certain other typical SB activities.  And, the three times my husband and I decided to go to the Sky Bar on our 28 day cruise, it was closed (even though the Herald said it was open).  We didn't go there after those three times, so I have no idea if it was open at other times.  I don't know if the opening of The Restaurant at breakfast and lunch is up to the Hotel Director or not.  On our cruise, early on, I put in a written request for it to be open.  Of course I realize that SB does not care what I want in this respect.  I was happy when, a few days later, it did open for breakfast and lunch for the rest of our cruise.  

But getting back to the policy---effectively it means that if you book a long cruise, you still won't be able to enjoy certain amenities IF your cruise has been divided by Seabourn into shorter segments.  Most cruises ARE divided into shorter segments because they are easier to sell.  

Edited by SLSD

We would all agree that MDR open for breakfast and lunch should be fleet-wide policy, and not left to individual decision of HD or captain on any individual ship.  Very disappointing on Sojourn earlier this summer when MDR was closed for breakfast and lunches on a 14 day cruise. Only "luxury" line I know that does not have more relaxed, quiet alternative white tablecloth restaurant open for these meals and not insist passengers have to eat only at noisy and crowded buffet. One more demerit for Seabourn these days.

• Like 2

Sojourn has been open for breakfast and lunch everyday which has been most welcomed.

The concern we have had is getting provisions available across all the Venus- for example we enjoy Millet Lite beer and most of the bars don’t have it so we order to our room and keep a supply in our suite refrigerator. The same is true for Makers Mark- some of the bars have it one night and not the next but then it appears a few nights later- so it’s on board somewhere!!

On 9/12/2024 at 5:37 AM, Hobar said:

Thanks @SistersInFun. We’ll be boarding end of February 2025 so perhaps stay on, or come back.  Will be like old times (on Ovation),  Glad to hear Lucca is HD.  (Sorry to hear about Trivia.  Don’t be jelly but I won another bear and a polar bear and also a puffin on Venture.)

You are a winner!! Would  love to sail with you anytime 

• Like 1

Like @SistersInFun, I have been on the Sojourn for several weeks (Norway, Iceland and now the UK), the Restaurant has been open every day for both breakfast and lunch (sea days and port days), which I love; however, attendance is sometimes very spare.  

In chatting with a couple of the officers, it appears that this is a decision made by the Hotel Director based mostly upon (1) passenger levels on the ship, (2) the weather re: dining outside, (3) numbers of passengers taking advantage of the Restaurant being opened for breakfast and lunch, and (4) staffing levels, capabilities and crew turnover.  

It has very little to do with the length of the cruise, except that it seems all other things being equal, the shorter (7 day cruises) are less likely to have the Restaurant open in the morning and for lunch as the short cruises tends to put more demands on the staff (experience is that more breakfast room service demands, etc).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I do not find MDR breakfast to be a meaningful value add, especially with limited hours (8-9a). The vast majority of guests are probably on this boat was well, given I have never seen more than 2-3 tables at most occupied during breakfast (over a number of different sailings). Remember that the vast majority of luxury hotels only have one venue open for breakfast, so this is not an abnomaly. 

Personally, I find the following to be far bigger problems with breakfast service:

- Closing too early (Collande at 0930 and IRD at 1000) - again, the luxury hotel standard is 1100 or later, and many offer all day breakfast, especially through IRD. I was specifically refused service of the breakfast menu through IRD at 10 AM on the Venture recently and had to escalate to the F&B Manager to resolve.

- Running out of items, such as fresh berries and smoked salmon, on multiple occasions

- Consistently slow beverage service (espresso drinks, etc.)

- inability to consistently make poached eggs, soft scrambled eggs, french style omelettes, etc. properly - personally, I do not appreciate the American "diner style" egg dishes being produced.

Many of these issues are staffing related and opening the MDR (which very very few guests ever take advantage of) will only serve to excasterbate the shortage of F&B staff, particularly on the expedition ships which are subject to crew accomodation contraints.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, B-HQC said:

I do not find MDR breakfast to be a meaningful value add, especially with limited hours (8-9a). The vast majority of guests are probably on this boat was well, given I have never seen more than 2-3 tables at most occupied during breakfast (over a number of different sailings). Remember that the vast majority of luxury hotels only have one venue open for breakfast, so this is not an abnomaly. 

For us, the Restaurant being open for breakfast is a huge value.  You have to understand that we are not all alike in what we value.    I've seen way more than 2 or 3 tables occupied at breakfast.  .  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, B-HQC said:

Closing too early (Collande at 0930

I was on the sojourn recently and the colonnade was typically open until 10am.  On disembarkation day it closed at 9:30.  I recall at least one or two days during my 14 day cruise the closing was 10:30. This was also my experience on the other ocean ships.

I have stayed at numerous luxury hotels and most never served breakfast until 11am

I have not been on the expedition ships but have sailed on the ocean sb ships multiple times in the past 2 years.

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SLSD said:

For us, the Restaurant being open for breakfast is a huge value.  You have to understand that we are not all alike in what we value.    I've seen way more than 2 or 3 tables occupied at breakfast.  .  

Yes different values and expectations of luxury service.  I prefer the peacefulness and  quiet of a dining room whether breakfast lunch or dinner. Much better than  the noise, elbows,  crowds and shared serving utensils of a buffet. People breathing on the food. Here's where you'd really get egg dishes  made to order if that is a priority.  Never a crowd for breakfast where I'd see maybe 10 tables full on the side they open. Lunch more but not a lot. Competition does it.  Seabourn should get its act together as a fleet wide policy and not leave it up to an individual HD to decide the fate of a shipload 

• Like 3

I complete respect that - I like having breakfast in the MDR too, from time to time, if nothing other than for a change of scenery, or on certain days where I know all 200 guests will descend upon the Colonnade altogether.

But especially as it relates to the expedition ships, I have had several in depth conversations with onboard management and now have a far better appreciation for the finite resources onboard, especally surrounding with crew numbers, hours of rest issues, etc. and I think prioritization is important, which is why the decision is left to the judgment of the HD onboard. Of course, I fully recognize that I sail on 7-13 day, port / expedition actvity intensive itineraries, so the situation may be different on other sailings.

Longer (later) breakfast hours however, is an absolute must if the line wants to attract a younger, global audience. 

• Thanks 1

My husband and I will eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch (when it works out with our excursion timing, etc.).  I really do not like buffets and will order room service for breakfast if the MDR is not an option.  For some reason I always feel a little guilty ordering room service, but maybe it is easier (less staffing) for Seabourn to take care of room service orders than it is to opening the MDR.  I don't know.  I'm sure more and more people are becoming squeamish about buffets.

• Like 3

On our 2020 Quest Antarctica cruise, the biggest number of diners I recorded for breakfast in the dining room was 9. I believe the restaurant holds all 450 guests at once. I did not stick around until closing time, it's possible they received a massive influx of guests at 8:55. Not defending the practice, but I understood why Seabourn would discontinue those breakfasts.

Lunches were also sparsely attended. I remember one with only three tables occupied. Unfortunately the calm was ruined by a solo diner with the most grating voice imaginable talking to the other table. We could not wait to get away. We suffered through a Zodiac ride with her. "Honey! Honey! Take my picture. Honey! Did you get that? Honey! Honey! Honey! Take my picture! Did you get a picture of the seal? Honey! Honey! Take a picture of the seal. Honey! Honey!"

3 hours ago, whogo said:

On our 2020 Quest Antarctica cruise, the biggest number of diners I recorded for breakfast in the dining room was 9. I believe the restaurant holds all 450 guests at once. I did not stick around until closing time, it's possible they received a massive influx of guests at 8:55. Not defending the practice, but I understood why Seabourn would discontinue those breakfasts.

Lunches were also sparsely attended. I remember one with only three tables occupied. Unfortunately the calm was ruined by a solo diner with the most grating voice imaginable talking to the other table. We could not wait to get away. We suffered through a Zodiac ride with her. "Honey! Honey! Take my picture. Honey! Did you get that? Honey! Honey! Honey! Take my picture! Did you get a picture of the seal? Honey! Honey! Take a picture of the seal. Honey! Honey!"

This is the area of the unknown.  On our Seabourn voyages, we have always seen more than this number both at breakfast and at lunch in the MDR.  I even asked some days on our last cruise for the numbers at lunch. On one day, as we were leaving lunch, I was told that the number of diners so far had ben 57.  I should never need to trouble myself with asking for numbers on a luxury cruise.  

All I can say is that any luxury line must provide a non buffet option at breakfast and at lunch for its guests.  This is very important to us.  We don't do buffets and on some days the weather prevents lunch at the Patio or at the Colannade outdoors (we don't dine indoors there, the ambience is terrible). Quite frankly, this issue is so important to us that it makes us pause before booking another cruise.  No big deal, we can do land vacations--and do plan those as well.  Ambience is everything to us when it comes to dining.  We are all different in what we value.  But we DO expect choices on a luxury cruise. 

One added comment--so many are up in arms about complimentary wines and other things like cognac. I'm right there with you with these complaints, but ambience in dining and choices for breakfast that are not buffets or in the cafeteria looking Colannade are just as important to us.   We do expect a luxury experience--which is not the same for every guest.  Seabourn KNOWS this--now, they need to deliver--for all of us.  It is NOT that hard.  They know what it takes--decent wines and appropriate venues for dining.  Absent this--we may elect to travel on land.  The options are great.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Seabourn is our cruise line of choice. We have decided to take a break from cruising. Heading to Namibia for a 3-week trip next month. Sebourn needs to get their act together. The quality of food, wine, and mixer such as tonic (Fever-Tree should be standard) continues to deteriorate. The MRD should be open for breakfast and lunch most days. I hope these issues get resolved because we love cruising with Seabourn. Our last cruise to Antarctica was epic, if we ignore the food issues, poor included wines, and no fever tree tonic.