Specialty dining reservation times need to be fairly distributed.

mozfoz

On 9/11/2024 at 7:51 PM, cruisr said:

They celebrated a special occasion onboard and ended up tipping the maitre’d a $20. and got a table.  They showed up when Polo opened and were told, sorry, no.  The husband slipped the maitre’d the cash and basically said, we will wait here just in case anything becomes available for two.  Five minutes later, a miracle, a two top became available.

This is disappointing as Oceania now states with the “Your World…”their staff only work for Smiles not Tips. Guess I will still need those Jacksons…..

We have a special occasion on our upcoming cruise in October. Normally in an A cabin we have never had a problem booking 60 days out. This time could only get a B grade so I wrote to customer services before the dinning reservations started and asked if they could reserve a table for 2 in our preferred restaurant on the date we wanted to celebrate our special occasion. I had a speedy reply saying she didn’t have access before the 45 day opening but would do her best. When I came to book my dining reservations there was my preferred reservation!

So no need to ‘bribe’ or be unsure of having the celebration you want. Just be organised and ask!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Thought2go said:

This is disappointing as Oceania now states with the “Your World…”their staff only work for Smiles not Tips. Guess I will still need those Jacksons…..

No No No.

WAIT! Does this make me one of the NoNoers???

• Haha 3

I have  been on three Oceania cruises to date for a total of 67 days and have a 77 day cruise booked for January.  Miami to Singapore on Insignia.  I prefer to eat after 8 which is probably too late for most of the O passengers I see. I think it would be helpful if they opened up the dining venues earlier which would allow more slots.    

I find it useful to check with the reservations desk whenever I walk by because people do cancel.  For example, I cancelled my reservation for Toscana because I find the overly bright lights in that venue in very unappealing. In addition, I have stopped in at a restaurant before going to the GDR and chat with the MD and find there is an opening because people didn't show up.  If I don't get a table I think the MD anyway and just go to the GDR.  Hardly the end of the world.  

As far as tipping is concerned, I always tip the waiters and the MD on my way out  because I appreciate what they have done for me and it builds the relationship especially on long cruises. I don't tip beforehand because its bad form.  On the other hand, I don't go on vacation to snitch on the MDs who APPEAR to be taking a tip for a table. If you do, good for you and I hope that improves your cruise experience.                    

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

I have  been on three Oceania cruises to date for a total of 67 days and have a 77 day cruise booked for January.  Miami to Singapore on Insignia.  I prefer to eat after 8 which is probably too late for most of the O passengers I see. I think it would be helpful if they opened up the dining venues earlier which would allow more slots.    

I find it useful to check with the reservations desk whenever I walk by because people do cancel.  For example, I cancelled my reservation for Toscana because I find the overly bright lights in that venue in very unappealing. In addition, I have stopped in at a restaurant before going to the GDR and chat with the MD and find there is an opening because people didn't show up.  If I don't get a table I think the MD anyway and just go to the GDR.  Hardly the end of the world.  

As far as tipping is concerned, I always tip the waiters and the MD on my way out  because I appreciate what they have done for me and it builds the relationship especially on long cruises. I don't tip beforehand because its bad form.  On the other hand, I don't go on vacation to snitch on the MDs who APPEAR to be taking a tip for a table. If you do, good for you and I hope that improves your cruise experience.                    

People on CC have expressed an opinion, that the reason why the restaurants do not open earlier is because many guests would be more likely to retire to their cabins even earlier than they already do. In order to attract new cruisers to Oceania (who are probably younger), O needs there to be a little bit more nightlife, not less nightlife.
This is the explanation that I have heard, just passing along the message 

• Like 1

Yes, they do need better entertainment after dinner.  On our last cruise on Nautica they only had one band.  When they played jazz during happy hour in Horizons they were very, very good and we enjoyed them while enjoying a cocktail.  But later in the evening they played what I call "old people's music" and they had a four or five couples out on the floor doing ballroom dancing.  It was like watching the Larwence Welk show.  Wunnerfull, wunnerfull, wunnerfull.  They are not going to attract a younger crowd with this kind of entertainment.  And there were probably six people sitting there listening to the music.  We only went one night.

A couple of years ago we went on a Caribbean cruise they had a band playing music from the 60s and 70s.  It may not have attracted a huge crowd but at least they had people in the room having a good time.  I think even younger people, and I'm not talking about 20s or 30s but 40s and 50s would enjoy this more than the Larwence Welk type music they have now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, iowananny said:

On our last cruise on Nautica they only had one band

On Vista, they had the house musicians who played for the shows then did a late evening set in Horizons. Before that there was another band who did a set of different music styles each evening for 45 minutes - we particularly enjoyed the evening they did country.. Neither were well attended which was a bit of a surprise as, seeing it was a transatlantic, no-one needed to be going to bed early because of a port next day. 

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

People on CC have expressed an opinion, that the reason why the restaurants do not open earlier is because many guests would be more likely to retire to their cabins even earlier than they already do. In order to attract new cruisers to Oceania (who are probably younger), O needs there to be a little bit more nightlife, not less nightlife.
This is the explanation that I have heard, just passing along the message 

Staff needs some kind of break between lunch and dinner 

I’m enough of a cynic to assume if moving dinner hours to an earlier start would increase revenue/attract new cruisers, that Corporate wouldn’t care about a shorter break for staff.

If you’re more generous than I am, you could assume they’ll increase staffing to compensate/accommodate breaks for staff.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iowananny said:

I just keep thinking about the old song "That's Why the Lady is a Tramp".  Maybe O doesn't want a bunch of tramps who get too hungry for dinner at eight.

You know that song is tongue in cheek, don't you?  

2 minutes ago, Kay S said:

You know that song is tongue in cheek, don't you?  

Of course I do.  When Tony Bennett sang it to Lady Gaga he was telling her she was a real lady who didn't put up with a lot of the stuff women have to put up with.  I was just trying to have a little fun.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 10:30 PM, Thought2go said:

So you're going to copy bad, even forbidden behavior, thus encouraging others.

• Haha 1

Another question.  Once dining reservations open up for a particular sailing (45 days for me), it is based on midnight, local time?  For example, I'm on the west coast, so would easterners get a 3 hour jump on me since they're 3 hours ahead, time-wise?  Taking it a step further, let's say one was Italy or Spain, would they then get perhaps a 9 hour head start, since they'd hit midnight well before I do on the U.S. west coast?

Edited by Stockjock

13 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Another question.  Once dining reservations open up for a particular sailing (45 days for me), it is based on midnight, local time?  For example, I'm on the west coast, so would easterners get a 3 hour jump on me since they're 3 hours ahead, time-wise?  Taking it a step further, let's say one was Italy or Spain, would they then get perhaps a 9 hour head start, since they'd hit midnight well before I do on the U.S. west coast?

It is based on midnight east coast time.  So you could log in and make reservations at 9:00 pm the day before on west coast time.  Everyone can make reservations starting at the same time, but it is more convenient for some time zones.

I think it’s midnight eastern time. I’m in the UK and usually am awake at 6am. I book when I wake, 1am eastern time I think, and didn’t have a problem for 7.30pm reservations on sharing tables. Not sure what time it will be for you! Looks like you may just have to get up early/late??

Last week I  set an early 4.55am UK alarm wake up call and logged in at 5.01am.  Managed to book most of my chosen times (7.30pm or 8pm) and dates.  We are Concierge grade. The one sea day of the cruise only had 8.30pm onwards in all of the restaurants so we shall do MDR that evening .  I chose not to share.  The website was really easy to use and you receive an email confirmation for each booking too.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

cruiserchuck is correct...midnight ET. Just don't mess up like I did once and put "10 pm" (I'm MT) on my calendar 45 days out, when I should have put it 46 days out...doh!