Upsell question

I'm booked on a cruise this winter in a verandah cabin. I wanted an aft wake-view, but there weren't any available. I've been haunting the site, hoping one would pop up and today one did!

It's a higher grade, so this is an upsell. I'm fine with the new, slightly higher price, but I'm curious about the process. Since I'm not chasing a lower fare, do I need to cancel and rebook, or can my TA just move me to the new location and HAL will change the price on the booking?

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I know. I'm not hesitating, just curious. I'm waiting for my TA to get back to me. Meanwhile, I'm sitting on a half-done dummy booking. Not sure that will "hide" the cabin.

You should be able to hold it.  Go through the booking process, you will get to the last page, and it should give you the option to hold it, put a deposit down or pay in full.  This is a 24 hour hold.  I do not know if doing it this way will result in a different booking number or not.  There should be a way for her to get if for you this way without a new reservation but I am not 100% sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KAKcruiser said:

If you hide the cabin on a dummy booking your TA will not be able to book it as it will show as unavailable. 

And when he calls me back, I'll cancel the dummy booking and the cabin should show again. 

I got the new cabin!!!!

The price was lower than I expected, probably the Mariner discount for this weekend's sale. When I checked availability, I didn't sign in for special prices. I would have been happy with the price I saw, but I'm even happier with the price I got.

CO was a good suggestion. But the price increase to go up from VC to VB was less than buying CO. At the time I booked this, there weren't a lot of cabins available, and no afts, so there was no point in doing the CO upgrade to go from VD to VC. At this point, with even fewer cabins available, CO is probably sold out. 

I am happy to report that I kept my booking number and deposit. So I don't have to change the insurance. I don't have to rebook the extras--my HIA tours and dining are still there, as is my thermal suite pass. The only change is the new cabin number and a new price for my final payment.

• Like 19

Yes, my TA did it. 

I've done self-initiated upsells before and didn't have a change in booking number but that was quite a few years ago, maybe not even on HAL, so I didn't know if it would still work that way. 

I'm just happy that I don't have to keep checking the website to see if an aft becomes available. I've been looking every few days since I booked it in June. 

• Like 1