The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 14th, 2024

Today is National Kreme Filled Donut Day, National Sober Day, and U.S. Marshals Service Day

Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over -- Guy Finlay

Meal Suggestion for today - Cherry Tomato Penne Pasta Caprese
Drink of the Day - Clavis Riga
Wine of the Day - Poema Cava Rose
Destination of the Day - Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Honduras

Today in History:
1752 Britain and the British Empire (including the American colonies) adopt the Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept 13)
1956 IBM introduces the RAMAC 305, 1st commercial computer with a hard drive that uses magnetic disk storage, weighs over a ton

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Seattle Washington   0700-1500

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, BC, Canada   0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 09-15

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome

Lisbon, Portugal   0700-1700

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC, Canada eta 09-15

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona

Naples, Italy   0700-1700

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas

Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland   0700-1600

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal

At Sea Destination Corner Brook, Newfoundland eta 09-15

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Skagway, Alaska   0630-2100

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston

Quebec City, Quebec   overnight stay-depart 1500

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan eta 09-17

image.thumb.png.d6ebdfd6bd9a25825379fc3bffc3a18a.png

image.thumb.png.aa8154c98a7fabcfaedd18daef84a771.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Good morning friends!  The weather this morning in the Cincinnati suburbs is 67F and breezy.  Today will reach 88 and be sunny. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily info. Well I can really get into Kreme (cream) filled donut day!  However I might like a glass of wine or champagne for a toast tonight so won’t be completely sober.  Congrats on the U.S. Marshals Service Day.  The quote is okay and the pasta Caprese sounds good.  It’s a no from me on the cocktail and I would like the Rosé.  It must have been a very interesting month in September 1752.  I’m sure this day in history for IBM in 1956 was a huge deal.  A big thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the recipes, drink mix recipes, and wine information.  What a great feature!

Prayers for our entire group on the Care list including Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, and Bruno.  Also for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and the military members in the region. Congrats to everyone celebrating special events, cruising and preparing to cruise.  A big congrats to Ashley and Christopher!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for handling the list upkeep each and every day for us!

The port today is Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Honduras.  Another new port for us to discover.  I’m sure many of you have stopped there during your cruises since it’s popular now on the Western Caribbean cruises.  So today I have no links for you.  However I was lucky enough to see this new destination in 2023 and will give you an overlook of the place.  Coming up next!

Wow, yesterday was a busy day.  After leaving home at 4:30 a.m. and driving over 500 miles, sometimes through rain storms, and being stopped by two separate wrecks we arrived in early afternoon to our hotel.  After lunch we both took a nap until time to get ready for dinner with our DD, DS, DDIL, Ren, and two nieces Amy and Lisa.  We ate outside on a patio and it was a lot of fun.  This morning as I type this at 4:50 a.m. DGS Kai just landed on the red eye from L.A. where he finished his final yesterday afternoon for his summer school class at college (strange academic calendar at UCLA). Now we're all here!  The wedding isn’t until 6 p.m. today so we have all day to get ready or whatever everyone wants to do.  Some are getting nails done, some are going shopping, lunch dates, you get the idea.  I’ll report back tomorrow on how things went.  I’m so grateful the weather held up for this big event.  Ashley even checked the Old Farmer’s Almanac for predictions of weather during this week in September when she picked her wedding date.  Chalk one up for the old farmers out there!!

Sending my warmest wishes for a lovely Saturday to you all!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Honduras

Roatan is an island off the coast of the Honduras mainland and Mahogany Bay was developed by Carnival Corporation for their cruise ships to visit.  We took a Sky Princess cruise in February 2023 which stopped there so we enjoyed our first ever time there.

View from our balcony.  We were overlooking a beach and resort-type facility.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

There was a beautiful white, sandy beach for swimming,

Gondolas up the hillside,

Plus restaurants and shopping opportunities for the tourists to enjoy.

Since I stay out of the sun, we didn’t stick around for the fun and games, but it was a nice first visit.  Me in my foldable Zihuatanejo hat.

See you there sometime!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Honduras

Roatan is an island off the coast of the Honduras mainland and Mahogany Bay was developed by Carnival Corporation for their cruise ships to visit.  We took a Sky Princess cruise in February 2023 which stopped there so we enjoyed our first ever time there.

View from our balcony.  We were overlooking a beach and resort-type facility.

There was a beautiful white, sandy beach for swimming,

Gondolas up the hillside,

Plus restaurants and shopping opportunities for the tourists to enjoy.

Since I stay out of the sun, we didn’t stick around for the fun and games, but it was a nice first visit.  Me in my foldable Zihuatanejo hat.

See you there sometime!

Super photos Sandi.

I hope Ashley has a fantastic wedding.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily and Reports!!

The days to celebrate are good, as are the beverages and the meal...

I've been to MoBay more times than I can remember!!  It's a wonderful port with lots to do, shopping, and sightseeing!!

Have a wonderful Saturday!!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Thank you Sandi for hosting today's daily reports while getting ready for your DGD Ashleys wedding.

Sober day should be every day for everyones good health.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

I had a drive thru breakfast at the beach while Pauline was at the hairdresser's.

I hope everyone is safe and well and prayers 🙏 for those who aren't.

Best wishes for a wonderful weekend.

IMG_20240914_093931.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, awaiting test results

Ottahand7 traveling back from the cabin

Cruzin Terri’s PMR flaring up again

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, on IV abx, PE, at rehab

Rafinmd (Roy) discharged to rehab

Hoping Nicklepenny is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, awaiting pathology results

NextOne’s DSIL Sandy dx’d with metastatic cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome home Luvteaching!

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Ashley’s wedding

Smitty34877’s DB spending time with the family, helping out

Sharon in AZ with good eye exam after new floater & flashing in one eye

Kazu moved into new home

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas Sept 18 to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean

Tbay (Volendam to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

There are several variations of this drink.  Many different ingredients.  This is the one I chose.

Clavis Riga cocktail:

Step into a world of mystery and intrigue with the Clavis Riga cocktail. This deliciously complex drink is inspired by the secrets and hidden gems of the historic city of Riga, Latvia. The cocktail features a blend of gin, elderflower liqueur, and lime juice, with a touch of aromatic bitters and absinthe. The result is a unique and well-balanced cocktail with a hint of herbal complexity and a slightly bitter finish. Whether you're looking to explore new flavors or simply enjoy a sophisticated drink, the Clavis Riga is a must-try cocktail that will transport you to the cobbled streets and enchanting architecture of this historic city.
Ingredients:
1/2 oz. lime juice
2 dashes angostura bitters
2 oz. gin
1 tsp. absinthe
1 oz. elderflower liqueur
Directions:
In a shaker filled with ice, add the gin, elderflower liqueur, lime juice, and bitters. Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds to chill the ingredients.
Strain the mixture into a chilled glass filled with ice then float the absinthe on top of the cocktail by pouring it over the back of a spoon and garnish it with a lime twist(optional).

Screenshot 2024-09-14 at 7.14.17 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi for Rich! Though we had off & on light showers/sprinkles yesterday - we had no torrential downpours. Hope they are gone for a while. My friends and I got to sit outside for supper and watch surfers tackling some decent waves.

We also got to admire the new dunes that the Army Corps of Engineers just finished. Next step is to build two underwater sea walls and then rebuild the Flagler Beach pier. We all hope this will permanently prevent the coast road from caving in. 

Vanessa, praying that your leg heals fast and that the dizziness disappears & that you have a boring week. Thank you for taking such great care our events. 

Gym, Bindi walks, TONS of yard work, indoor chores - and maybe some pool time. The water might be a bit too cool for me. 😎

IMG_3380.jpeg.e0a69fb8617b4806a3d23c27aa19efca.jpeg

IMG_3424.jpeg.333e666ee1bc88f18c13e18e99c2d988.jpeg

The last in our Denali NP sign series…

IMG_3371.jpeg.3d10386dc2042028cda947493d4d7616.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying that Tana gets her feisty on, and Terry has a pain-free day and her DB enjoys his Dailyite fan club. Prayers for Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Chuck & Annie, Pat & Ann, Roy, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 
Safe travel’s Nancy. 

@Nickelpenny where are you? Hope all is well. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Sandy hope you & Dennis have a wonderful time with the family at Ashley & Christopher’s  wedding!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Poema Cava Rosé

Another new grape! I bet this wine would be great on a hot & humid day! Fairly easy to find and certainly priced to try! And what a beautiful name! Online prices start at $13.95.

Winemakers notes

Poema carefully observes the Cava DO’s stringent regulations to craft its top-quality, small-production Cavas which are crafted using the same traditional method used in Champagne. The extremely rare red grape Trepat is used to produce Cava Rosé.

Fresh and elegant notes of strawberry, raspberry and rose petals.

Pairs well with cold cuts, barbecue, small game and lightly smoked fish

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

Lots of fun at Farkle last night.  DB Jeff's Reuben sandwiches were out of this world good.  I did manage to win one game of Farkle.  DB Bill won a game and DSIL, sometimes known as Mrs. Unlucky, won a game.  Usually Mrs. Unlucky's dice don't cooperate.  

We have an early start today for River's game.  I want to get a lap around the block in before we go.  

@StLouisCruisers Glad you made it safely and that all is falling into place nicely for DGD's wedding.  I'm sure the bride will be beautiful!

Today's meal is more of a salad in the first recipe.  It would make a great side dish, but you could add a protein of your choice to make it a main dish.   Cherry Tomato Penne Pasta Caprese

cherrytomatopennepastacaprese1.thumb.jpg.dd42dc6455f58b189094a6c0e6c36d44.jpg

This next one looks like more of a warm dish than a salad like the first recipe.  Simple Caprese Penne Pasta

cherrytomatopennepastacaprese2.thumb.png.ea5efe01dffd21c073e3924037346c1a.png

The evolution continues and this one is more of a casserole.  Caprese Penne

cherrytomatopennepastacaprese3.thumb.jpg.f677e61fbd7be7baf98d492a2d1da30e.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the report.

It's a little bit foggy this morning, good thing we're not driving anywhere.  It should warm up to a toasty 28C (82F) this afternoon.

I'll let someone else have my kreme filled donut, I'll probably have wine with dinner tonight and a big thank you to US marshals.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'll try the wine.

I've never visited today's port.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@StLouisCruisers Enjoy the wedding and time with your family.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Happy Saturday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Going to be hot for the next few days. Back to summer. Today I will be running errands. Picking up prescriptions and getting my flu and COVID shots. 25 days until the cruise so I starting to get stuff ready. Next Saturday is my nephew's wedding which I am looking forward to. I just need to get shoes. Yesterday was busy but I had a great massage after my chiropractor appointment. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Elephant Journal | Caturday, Funny saturday memes, Cats

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone - another humid day here in FL. DH & I  did some walking around 6:30 and my hair was wet from the fog by the time we got home. Today he's off to the Gator football game with a friend of ours w/season tickets. I'll do some shopping and have the caprese w/fresh burrata at Carrabbas while he's gone.

I've always been an unfilled donut type person, but rarely eat donuts these days. Wine will be in my future so not sure about sober day - although I won't be at the opposite end of the spectrum (drunk) either! Thank you to the US Marshals for their service. Agree with the quote, and regarding IBM it's hard to imagine those gigantic computers of the past! I wonder if that original computer's capacity can now be obtained on a thumb drive!

I'll pass on the meal and cocktail - love caprese, but not with pasta.  HAL does a great caprese panini on the room service menu, but I mainly eat caprese simply as tomato, mozzarella/burrata & some onions/basil. The wine I'd consider, and Mahogany Bay is a port I've visited several times but long ago. When HAL ran a ship out of Tampa that would frequently be on the itinerary, and it's a nice "easy" port. Riding the Magical Flying Beach Chair was always fun!

Sue/WDW1972

Edited by wdw1972
typo
  • Like 30

Good morning, another nice day in store for us.  Thanks for the daily updates.  We’ll be driving up to Bates College in Lewiston to take a college freshman out to lunch.  He’s the son of a close friend who lives in California and we promised her that we would check in with him from time to time.  

Three nice days on the docket to recognize.  I’m a sucker for cream filled donuts so I know what’s at the top of the list for me.

The quote is great advice for us all.  Life is too short to be headed down the wrong path.

The meal sounds delicious and I would definitely give the drink a try.

I have not been to today’s port.  Thank-you for sharing your nice photos.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Hats off to those of you who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 30

Happy Saturday! After two days of waiting for the hurricane effects here in north Alabama, we are finally getting some rain, but not too much. The temps are going to be in the low 80’s for the next week- what a welcome change!

Our older DGS is home this weekend from boarding school so we will grill steaks in between rain showers. So glad to have him home for a few days. I am now taking the Pasta salad and will use the first recipe. Had to stop reading the Daily to copy the recipe. Yum! Thank you, Debbie!

We got our flu, covid and tetanus shots this week. DH had no reaction and I had a a slight upset tummy for 36 hours. Our cruise leaves on Sept 26, so this was available just under the wire.

For the Daily Garden Group, this pic  is the end of the season for my Moonflowers. I planted a small packet in the ground by basically throwing them out. They are the first thing we see when opening the back door. They glow in the dark!

Kind thoughts to everyone on the Daily, with special prayers for everyone.

Debbie

IMG_6009.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Already into the 70s, will be mid80s. Nice!

@StLouisCruisers Glad you’re there! And others are arriving. Have a magical time!   Thanks for keeping up with us here. 

DH is already working on the shade installation project…. afternoon is not the time to do it because of the sun, so it became a morning project. I’m off to help him, or at least keep an eye on him. 

@JazzyV Please add yourself to the Care list!  
Blessings to all in need near and far! 
Smooth travels to all away! 
Cheers to those celebrating, reminding us that Life is Good🌈.

@grapau27 I’m excited about your new car!  Thanks for posting your ocean view!  

Enjoy this day everyone! Maureen 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report!

I’ve been up since 2am, nice and quiet having coffee and doing my online puzzles. I “compete” with my across the street neighbor in Wordle and Connections and hoping she doesn’t get Wordle in three like I did. We both use the same “cheater words” to make it even but I think it’ll be three for her too, darn it.  I do usually beat her in Connections, not proud of my two errors (today was a bit tricky), oh well.

We’ve been to Roatan on Volendam, we went snorkeling kinda. Our daughter and I used blow up floating mats but we were snorkeled and finned up. Caprese salad is always part of our summer menus, I’m still getting tomatoes off our plants although I have to pull them off before they fully ripen due to the local raccoon family stopping by. I’ll attempt to attach a picture of our garden earlier, it’s now a knarly mess, lol. The pic didn’t work but I’ll use the test forum and sort that out, I have Apple products which I know can be troublesome. 

I’ll be busy today with a bit of yard work and dinner prep for today and tomorrow. I’m taking my daughter’s MIL shopping tomorrow for some new clothes, a birthday present from her sons. I just need to keep her focused because she looks at EVERYTHING when she goes into a store. She doesn’t drive anymore due to a health issue so she doesn’t get out much, so whenever I take her she’s like a kid in a candy store. We get along really well, she’s a year younger than me so we have similar life experiences.

We usually have a Saturday three thing dinner which always includes beef of some sort so tonight it’s rib eye steak, baked potatoes and homemade caesar salad.

Enjoy your day!

• Like 28

47 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Where is @RedneckBob I miss his comments about the drink of the day. 

Wow, someone misses me! 💕!  Sorry, but I’m been busy on a cruise. Cruising in the lake doing lake maintenance before it rains. It has rained 19 straight days, even though some rains was a spit from the clouds!

• Like 22