Do I have everything covered?

doolfan

This will most likely be our only trip to Alaska, so I’d like to try to hit all the major must sees!  We will be missing glacier bay which I know is probably the biggest must do, but that can’t be helped. Our cruise is late July/early August on Norwegian Jade. 

I’m working on excursions, so far these are what I’m leaning towards

ketchikan neets bear encounter 

Juneau Norris glacier seaplane/float/hike

skagway gold panning, sled dogs and railway (all one 6 hour long excursion)

icy straight point whale watching cruise

hubbard glacier it’s another 400 per person to take a closer boat so I’m thinking of just skipping since the other excursions are all pricey (Juneau is 750 per person!)

After docking in Whittier we will travel to Denali for 2 nights and then take the train to Anchorage to fly home. We could do a plane or helicopter excursion in Denali instead of Juneau and spend our Juneau day a Mendenhall glacier. Which would you all recommend??

Does this cover pretty much the basics? 

On 9/17/2024 at 5:21 AM, wolfie11 said:

Late July is on the early side for Neets and it is only black bears, no brown bears there.  Hubbard small boat for me is a must do.  The ship seldom gets closer than 3-4 miles and often over 5 miles from glacier.

Agree. Given you are not going to Glacier Bay, I would want to maximize my one glacier viewing opportunity and the small boat excursion offers exceptional viewing - so much better than from the cruise ship. It's worth it.

3 hours ago, NothingBeatsBaseball said:

If you don't have to race out of Whittier the 26 glacier boat tour is popular there. I haven't done it, but if you are looking for some glaciers with not seeing Glacier Bay. 

IMO 26 Glaciers tops Glacier Bay, but most ships unless 10 -12 day sailings or one ways don’t get there so it is not well known. 

Thank you so much, this is awesome information!  We have time after our cruise so we will do the 26 glacier cruise out of Whittier!  

Also I am now looking at the Traitors cove bear watching through island wings instead of Neets!

5 hours ago, doolfan said:

Thank you so much, this is awesome information!  We have time after our cruise so we will do the 26 glacier cruise out of Whittier!  

Also I am now looking at the Traitors cove bear watching through island wings instead of Neets!

My suggestion is to do the shorter Glacier Quest cruise in Whittier.  You will still get great glacier and wildlife viewing while saving some money and time! You’ll be on your way earlier in the day.  I’ve been on both tours and much preferred the shorter tour.  https://phillipscruises.com/glacier-quest-cruise/

My recommendation for whale watching in Icy Strait Point is Glacier Wind Charters (https://www.g-wind.com/).  Going out in a small boat with less than a dozen people is a much better experience than a large cruise excursion.