Volendam 8 million dollar docking period October 2024

Alphen

10 hours ago, Alphen said:

Between January 25th and February 8th, which includes transit back and forth, so regular docking period.

That's not good. Z is a 25-year ship. Its not even getting a $8m touch up. Much less a $80m upgrade/modernization. 

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Much less a $80m upgrade/modernization. 

Why, to what? Bumper cars and waterslides? Ship is fine as it is! No one says you have to sail here, plenty of other ships in the sea!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alphen said:

Why, to what? Bumper cars and waterslides? Ship is fine as it is! No one says you have to sail here, plenty of other ships in the sea!

No bumper cars and waterslides on a 60k GT ship. Modernization would include more F&B. A contemporary decor. Better library. Perhaps, a re-organization of the rooms.

Preferably, a new plumbing system and an upgraded engine. Stuff that will keep the ship in service for another 15 years.

Suggest that you try some of the newer ships for a grasp of what's possible.

On the small Hx Roald Amundsen (21k GT), there's a huge lounge behind the Observation Lounge.

On the Explora 1 (60k GT), there is a solarium at the front of the Observation Lounge. On Ponant's tiny Le Soleal, there's a sheltered public seating area under the pool in the stern. Etc.

Aug12 Roald Amundsen DSC_0055.jpg

Aug19 Roald Amundsen DSC_0710.JPG

Explora DSC_8019 Explora Lounge.jpg

Explora DSC_8020 Explora Lounge.jpg

Le Soleal Deck 5 aft DSC_8650.jpg

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

No bumper cars and waterslides on a 60k GT ship. Modernization would include more F&B. A contemporary decor. Better library. Perhaps, a re-organization of the rooms.

Preferably, a new plumbing system and an upgraded engine. Stuff that will keep the ship in service for another 15 years.

Suggest that you try some of the newer ships for a grasp of what's possible.

On the small Hx Roald Amundsen (21k GT), there's a huge lounge behind the Observation Lounge.

On the Explora 1 (60k GT), there is a solarium at the front of the Observation Lounge. On Ponant's tiny Le Soleal, there's a sheltered public seating area under the pool in the stern. Etc.

Aug12 Roald Amundsen DSC_0055.jpg

Aug19 Roald Amundsen DSC_0710.JPG

Explora DSC_8019 Explora Lounge.jpg

Explora DSC_8020 Explora Lounge.jpg

Le Soleal Deck 5 aft DSC_8650.jpg

No desire to try something else. Both remaining R class ships are a league of their own and I am more than comfortable with that. Obviously, there is something out there for everyone, luckily we all have different desires and things we like, that is why there are so many different ships out there. If you like a different product, fine. 
Decor on both the former S and R class have had many satisfied guests and still do. Decor changes over time, introduced in new builds. Chances that much money will be spent on drastic decor changes, are pretty slim. There is no profit to gain there. There are still many guests that prefer smaller and maybe more older feeling ships, that still have great itineraries and great crew and still look like ships. As long as it is still profitable to run these ships, I am confident they will stick around, without drastic changes.

Comparing the Volendam and Zaandam with ships of Explora and Ponanant is trying to compare products that are miles apart, in price range, purpose of these ships and size, just to name a few.

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alphen said:

As long as it is still profitable to run these ships, I am confident they will stick around, without drastic changes.

This is the magical answer.  It will be a pure business decision, nothing else.  Management has its primary responsibility to their shareholders.  

7 hours ago, Alphen said:

Decor on both the former S and R class have had many satisfied guests and still do. Decor changes over time, introduced in new builds. Chances that much money will be spent on drastic decor changes, are pretty slim. There is no profit to gain there. There are still many guests that prefer smaller and maybe more older feeling ships, that still have great itineraries and great crew and still look like ships. As long as it is still profitable to run these ships, I am confident they will stick around, without drastic changes.

There will always be satisfied customers at the right price. Motel 6 has its loyal customers. So does the Hilton group. The question for HAL is what biz is it in? As Motel 6 or as the Hilton?

Your perspective as a customer is short term. You are merely concerned about your booking for 2025 and 2026. As a quality customer, I'm concerned about HAL's intentions and ability to deliver an elevated experience into the 2030s.

Hence, I scrutinize HAL's investments with interest. It is the best crystal ball insight into where HAL will be in three years time.

4 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Especially when they are paid off.

Management decisions should be made on the basis of future cash flows. I can sell the V today for $20m. Or, I can operate it at a $2m a year in profit. Which is better for CCL?

We have heard from the engineering people that costs rise steeply towards the end of a ship's commercial life. Profits will progressively decline unless HAL can match the cost increases with fare increases. I don't see evidence that HAL is able to do that with aging outdated ships.

Indeed, the old ships compare poorly to the more cost efficient new ships.

As interest rates rise, there is greater incentive to sell for cash and pay off debt. Or, invest in new ships with a better return. That is a no-brainer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Hence, I scrutinize HAL's investments with interest. It is the best crystal ball insight into where HAL will be in three years time.

If you are not interested in sailing with HAL, that is fine. There are many of us who are. All you need do is move on. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

If you are not interested in sailing with HAL, that is fine. There are many of us who are. All you need do is move on. 

I wish I could. I still have fond memories of HAL in its better days. I have hopes!!! 😁

Back on topic. Let's hear more about the coming dry docks. Facts and figures. 💲💲💲

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1