Early disembarkment

bones774

First off, I have an email in to Ms. Byrd at NCL corporate, Have not heard back from her yet, maybe she's moved on or didn't get to my email yet. I'm looking to commit to this cruise now while NCL has CN specials going on.

I'm looking at an east to west Transatlantic from Lisbon to Miami. After the crossing it makes 2 stops in Canada then a stop in NY and onto Miami for final port. I'd like to disembark in NY to finish my cruise. Certainly not looking for any refunds of unused cruise, just permission to disembark. Has anyone done this lately? Thanks

This is the 2nd or 3rd time this has been asked in the past week or so and sending the email is probably the best suggestion, since no one here can grant that permission. The biggest issue is going to be immigration/customs in NY. If there is another ship in port that day with guests disembarking, then there should be agents there that can accomodate you. If not, it could be a bit more difficult. I am sure you aren't the only person who wants to do this but you might not get an answer until on board. Not sure which ship or how soon the cruise is but I would try to be patient unless it is in the next week or so.

PS - I have done this before in Europe and had to make several phone calls/emails before getting an answer in writing. I then took that response to guest services once onboard so that everyone was aware of what I was doing. Did not have an issue. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

This is the 2nd or 3rd time this has been asked in the past week or so and sending the email is probably the best suggestion, since no one here can grant that permission. The biggest issue is going to be immigration/customs in NY. If there is another ship in port that day with guests disembarking, then there should be agents there that can accomodate you. If not, it could be a bit more difficult. I am sure you aren't the only person who wants to do this but you might not get an answer until on board. Not sure which ship or how soon the cruise is but I would try to be patient unless it is in the next week or so.

PS - I have done this before in Europe and had to make several phone calls/emails before getting an answer in writing. I then took that response to guest services once onboard so that everyone was aware of what I was doing. Did not have an issue. Good luck!

I was thinking that since the ship was coming from a foreign port the first port it hits in the States would require customs. I've done that before in NY, everyone gets off the ship and they tell you to come back hours later to board and continue the stateside journey. Thanks

Edited by bones774

Only NCL can provide permission for this. And whether or not it is allowed can even change between cruises, so seeing if someone else has done this previously won't necessarily help since just because they could do it, doesn't mean they'll let you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bones774 said:

I was thinking that since the ship was coming from a foreign port the first port it hits in the States would require customs. I've done that before in NY, everyone gets off the ship and they tell you to come back hours later to board and continue the stateside journey. Thanks

No, the first port in the US requires clearing immigration, not customs. Clearing immigration involves checking passports and visas to ensure passengers will be permitted to enter the USA.

Clearing customs occurs when you permanently disembark the ship at the end of the cruise and involves clearing the baggage that's in your possession to ensure you're not bringing contraband into the US and that you don't have to pay any duty on what you're bringing into the country. While this process is usually perfunctory and in almost all cases no longer requires filling out a customs declaration, USCBP still has the right to take you aside and conduct a search of your baggage. 

So...to disembark the cruise early in it's first US port requires NCL to notify USCBP that you are doing so because USCBP will not just be doing the standard immigration check on you as you will not be continuing on to the cruise's final port.

44 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, the first port in the US requires clearing immigration, not customs. Clearing immigration involves checking passports and visas to ensure passengers will be permitted to enter the USA.

Clearing customs occurs when you permanently disembark the ship at the end of the cruise and involves clearing the baggage that's in your possession to ensure you're not bringing contraband into the US and that you don't have to pay any duty on what you're bringing into the country. While this process is usually perfunctory and in almost all cases no longer requires filling out a customs declaration, USCBP still has the right to take you aside and conduct a search of your baggage. 

So...to disembark the cruise early in it's first US port requires NCL to notify USCBP that you are doing so because USCBP will not just be doing the standard immigration check on you as you will not be continuing on to the cruise's final port.

Thanks for the info. I doubt NCL will go that far to notify USCBP for just one person, how ever many people may be looking to do same. I'm going to read that roll call and see if it's been brought up.

@bones774  As we have friend (met thru CC roll call a few years ago via M&G) sailing on the GA's TA shortly, I know they planned theirs months ago - requested & obtained written permission from NCL to disembark when ship arrive into NYC, instead of continuing to the final "port" for disembarkation in Florida.  

Is there a Case Number assigned to your email send to KB ?  Wait a few days and if you still haven't gotten a reply, reference it as a follow-up ... hopefully, you will get the answer & authorization, as NCL has to make the arrangements & notify CBP.  Since others are doing this, it should not be really something new ... and friends on this TA did this 2 years ago on the Sun's TA that stopped in NY but also continued onward to Miami.  I've answered this questions just recently when I spotted it, could've been someone on the same TA asking and need to know.

You should not expect an adjustment or reduction in DSC with a shortened disembarkation, and if old memory isn't failing me, they also were credited Latitudes (double) points for the full duration or length of the TA ... as always, YMMV.  

Have you joined the CC roll call and perhaps thought of asking the question over there ? 

Happy cruising ! 

36 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@bones774  As we have friend (met thru CC roll call a few years ago via M&G) sailing on the GA's TA shortly, I know they planned theirs months ago - requested & obtained written permission from NCL to disembark when ship arrive into NYC, instead of continuing to the final "port" for disembarkation in Florida.  

Is there a Case Number assigned to your email send to KB ?  Wait a few days and if you still haven't gotten a reply, reference it as a follow-up ... hopefully, you will get the answer & authorization, as NCL has to make the arrangements & notify CBP.  Since others are doing this, it should not be really something new ... and friends on this TA did this 2 years ago on the Sun's TA that stopped in NY but also continued onward to Miami.  I've answered this questions just recently when I spotted it, could've been someone on the same TA asking and need to know.

You should not expect an adjustment or reduction in DSC with a shortened disembarkation, and if old memory isn't failing me, they also were credited Latitudes (double) points for the full duration or length of the TA ... as always, YMMV.  

Have you joined the CC roll call and perhaps thought of asking the question over there ? 

Happy cruising ! 

This is great news. I will pursue to get my authorization too. Don't expect any money back, just so much easier as  I'm a NY'er. I just joined that roll call, there were a couple of people there that mentioned getting off in NY as though no problem.  Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bones774 said:

Thanks for the info. I doubt NCL will go that far to notify USCBP for just one person, how ever many people may be looking to do same. I'm going to read that roll call and see if it's been brought up.

Your leaving the ship early creates a change in the passenger manifest. NCL is required to report it to USCBP even if you're the only person doing it.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Your leaving the ship early creates a change in the passenger manifest. NCL is required to report it to USCBP even if you're the only person doing it.

Yeah, what i meant was that for one pax they could just say no but if several people are requesting they have more impetus to get it done.