Looking for Something Different for my 50th Birthday - What Should I Choose?

MistyRo76

I have the big 5-0 birthday coming up in 2026 and I'm starting to look at possible cruises to celebrate my milestone birthday! I've been on over 20 Carnival cruises and have been to just about every Caribbean port that interests me. So, I've decided to branch out and look for something new to try! My family is doing an Alaskan cruise in 2025 and for this cruise, I definitely want something warm weather. I'm open to the time of year we go - it doesn't have to be around my actual birthday which is in April. In fact, I'm leaning toward fall as my daughter will have turned 12 and would be in the Circle C kids group which I think she'd enjoy more. Also looking mostly at 5- or 6-day cruises, as it's harder to be away for longer right now. 

My top options right now are: 

6-Day Bermuda Cruise (2 Days in Bermuda)

Carnival Sunshine

Oct 11, 2026

Departs from Norfolk, VA

5- or 6-Day Mexican Riviera Cruise (Ensenada/Cabo - 6-day cruise has 2 days in Cabo)

Carnival Firenze 

Fall 2026 Dates are not out yet

Departs from Long Beach

Pros for Bermuda cruise - Never been to Bermuda, date lines up exactly with my daughter's likely fall break week, Norfolk is driveable from our home in Kentucky and would be a new departure port for us, and we cruised on the Sunshine last year and loved her! 

No real cons for this cruise. 

Pros for Mexican Riviera Cruise - Never been to Ensenada and only been to Cabo once, 15-years ago, Firenze would be a new ship for us and first time on any of the Italian-themed ships. 

Only "con" would be the long flight to CA for this cruise, but that's not necessarily a deterrent for me, just a fact of taking this cruise. Also, since Fall 2026 cruises aren't published yet for the Firenze, it's possible these itineraries aren't available during our preferred cruise timeframe, but we can be somewhat flexible. I'm also not opposed to pulling my daughter out of school for a trip like this either. 

I'm equally interested in both of these options. So, I would love to hear the thoughts of others who have done one or both of these cruises! 

Bermuda is not always a warm weather cruise. We’ve been there before when it’s been COLD. 
So check out the weather averages scenario before you book Bermuda. But, we love Bermuda, it’s our favorite port. We’d love 2 days there!  We’d pick the Sunshine to Bermuda during the right warmer weather month. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

Bermuda is not always a warm weather cruise. We’ve been there before when it’s been COLD. 
So check out the weather averages scenario before you book Bermuda. But, we love Bermuda, it’s our favorite port. We’d love 2 days there!  We’d pick the Sunshine to Bermuda during the right warmer weather month. 

Based on what I've read, temps in Bermuda in October average around 80 degrees and water temps average around 78 degrees. Which seems great to me! But I'll have to dig into it a bit more to be sure. 

I do know from cruising the Mexico Riviera previously in October, it was very warm once we reached Cabo, but our sea days going down the coast were very cool. I remember being covered with towels while sitting out on Lido one of our sea days. So that time of year, weather may be similar regardless of which option we choose. 

30 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

October is also hurricane season, so I would consider this a possible con for the East Coast option 

Good point! We have sailed quite a bit in the fall including the last two years and had wonderful weather, but we know it's always a risk during hurricane season. Wonder what the reroute options would be if a storm was in danger of impacting the island or route to/from there? 

Thank you, 

I would go with the Bermuda cruise since it is drivable.  Cabo is great, but two days in Bermuda sounds better. 

As to it being hurricane season, that would eliminate any cruise from June to November.  We have cruised with hurricanes brewing and they simply reroute the cruise.  But you can always get Cancel for Any Reason coverage, and that would make it a risk worth taking for me. 

• Like 3

Last August, we were booked out of Norfolk for Bermuda. Unfortunately, there was a hurricane and we ended up in the Bahamas instead. Three days in Bermuda turned to Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay. Safety first, but it was disappointing, having been to all of those ports many times. That cruise was in peak hurricane season though. Things tend to start to wind down mid-September. I would think you'd be mostly fine in mid-October. 

Norfolk is a very nice port to leave from. We took Amtrak from Baltimore to avoid I95, then a $10 Uber to our hotel, then walked to the port in the morning. I enjoyed our overnight. 

We booked another cruise to Bermuda earlier in the season, in June, and had no weather issues.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I would go with the Bermuda cruise since it is drivable.  Cabo is great, but two days in Bermuda sounds better. 

As to it being hurricane season, that would eliminate any cruise from June to November.  We have cruised with hurricanes brewing and they simply reroute the cruise.  But you can always get Cancel for Any Reason coverage, and that would make it a risk worth taking for me. 

We have cruise many times during hurricane season, typically during October which is the end of the season, and - knock on wood - haven't been impacted yet by a storm. But I definitely know it's a risk and will for sure get the insurance! If we get rerouted, it would be disappointing, but we're still on a cruise! So, we would make the most of it! 

21 hours ago, Liverpoollovely said:

Go for Bermuda! whilst I am not a Carnival Sunshine fan - if this lines up with the person who you want to go with and can drive to the port for me I would choose this. 

We sailed the Sunshine last fall out of Charleston and it was our first time driving to the port. 20 cruises and I've always flown as we almost always sail out of South Florida. But it was nice being able to drive to port and have our car there. Though, the long drive home after a fun and busy week at sea wasn't my favorite! lol 

21 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Last August, we were booked out of Norfolk for Bermuda. Unfortunately, there was a hurricane and we ended up in the Bahamas instead. Three days in Bermuda turned to Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay. Safety first, but it was disappointing, having been to all of those ports many times. That cruise was in peak hurricane season though. Things tend to start to wind down mid-September. I would think you'd be mostly fine in mid-October. 

Norfolk is a very nice port to leave from. We took Amtrak from Baltimore to avoid I95, then a $10 Uber to our hotel, then walked to the port in the morning. I enjoyed our overnight. 

We booked another cruise to Bermuda earlier in the season, in June, and had no weather issues.

Thanks for input! Being rerouted to Nassau, Freeport and HMC would be my worst case scenario as far as a reroute goes (and yes - I totally know this a first world problem!). But the Bahamas is my absolute least favorite cruise stop - other than HMC which is lovely! We did Nassau/HMC on our Sunshine cruise from Charleston last fall and I vowed never to go to Nassau again. I haven't been to Freeport so I would probably at least get off the ship there. But if something like that happens, it happens and we'll make the best of it! 

I am looking forward to sailing from Norfolk. If we do this cruise, we may drive in a couple days early and explore the area. Would love to spend a day in the Jamestown/Williamsburg area! We went to Charleston 3 days early and loved exploring the area! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Denversail said:

I think like the last poster stated you should be prepared to end up in the Bahamas if any type of weather event occurs. I'm sure you will enjoy any trip you choose. 50 is a big milestone for all of us. I'll be celebrating mine in French Polynesia. I can't wait!

Well - you win! French Polynesia sounds amazing! I hope to get there someday in the not too distant future! 

On 9/18/2024 at 10:34 AM, MistyRo76 said:

I have the big 5-0 birthday coming up in 2026 and I'm starting to look at possible cruises to celebrate my milestone birthday! I've been on over 20 Carnival cruises and have been to just about every Caribbean port that interests me. So, I've decided to branch out and look for something new to try! My family is doing an Alaskan cruise in 2025 and for this cruise, I definitely want something warm weather. I'm open to the time of year we go - it doesn't have to be around my actual birthday which is in April. In fact, I'm leaning toward fall as my daughter will have turned 12 and would be in the Circle C kids group which I think she'd enjoy more. Also looking mostly at 5- or 6-day cruises, as it's harder to be away for longer right now. 

My top options right now are: 

6-Day Bermuda Cruise (2 Days in Bermuda)

Carnival Sunshine

Oct 11, 2026

Departs from Norfolk, VA

5- or 6-Day Mexican Riviera Cruise (Ensenada/Cabo - 6-day cruise has 2 days in Cabo)

Carnival Firenze 

Fall 2026 Dates are not out yet

Departs from Long Beach

Pros for Bermuda cruise - Never been to Bermuda, date lines up exactly with my daughter's likely fall break week, Norfolk is driveable from our home in Kentucky and would be a new departure port for us, and we cruised on the Sunshine last year and loved her! 

No real cons for this cruise. 

Pros for Mexican Riviera Cruise - Never been to Ensenada and only been to Cabo once, 15-years ago, Firenze would be a new ship for us and first time on any of the Italian-themed ships. 

Only "con" would be the long flight to CA for this cruise, but that's not necessarily a deterrent for me, just a fact of taking this cruise. Also, since Fall 2026 cruises aren't published yet for the Firenze, it's possible these itineraries aren't available during our preferred cruise timeframe, but we can be somewhat flexible. I'm also not opposed to pulling my daughter out of school for a trip like this either. 

I'm equally interested in both of these options. So, I would love to hear the thoughts of others who have done one or both of these cruises! 

Just throwing out analternative unless you connected at the hip to Carnival.

MSC from NY, not drivable (minus) does a cruise to Bermuda on October 13 next year that is 7 days for less than the 6 days on the Sunshine. The Meraviglia is a beautiful ship. 

Just something to maybe consider .