Celebrity Infinity Vs P&O Azura

Technoman2

Hi Folks

We normally sail with P&O but are considering a cruise around the canaries and Med in December on Infinity. We just fancy a change mainly of Entertainment and perhaps food options but i have a few questions which im hoping some of you may be able to help me with.

Firstly my wife is a very plain eater and on the P&O ship mainly ate the roast Chicken or Steak during the cruise as there was no Pasta options in the main dining room and she doesnt eat Fish, Pork or Lamb  so i just wonder what options there are on infinity in the main dining rooms. Im sure there will probably be some option she could have in the buffet but we prefer a sit down meal with service rather than the bun fight buffets sometimes are.

We never use speciality restaurants.

Do they have west end style shows on board as well as comedians and bands?

I have read some of the reviews and it seems that the dress code is pretty informal and relaxed i.e Trousers and shirts rather than suits except maybe for formal nights, what is your experience?

Are there quiet areas on the ship maybe on the promenade deck where you can sunbathe , read or listen to your own music?

What are the price of shore excursions like in comparison to P&O (if you have done both)

I know drinks are expensive but we dont drink a lot so the drinks package would not suit  us and as they are going to charge a service charge with the drinks i would be reluctant to pay the gratuities at the end of the cruise and reading their terms and conditions this can be done the day before disembarkation, is this correct and is it a straightforward process.

Thanks for any help you can offer and any links to current main dining room menus would be a great help.

We’re on the Infinity in 6 week’s time and I’ve just checked the X app which gives menus for each night in the MDR.  There are classic dishes served every night which includes steak and chicken, so I don’t think your wife will have a problem.

I cannot compare X with P&O as I’ve not sailed with the latter but can confirm that my husband has never taken a suit on a cruise holiday and was fine with a formal shirt and long trousers even on formal nights.

Entertainment is not yet loaded in the app but from previous experience there will be a West End show and cabaret style entertainment in the theatre plus regular music and events around the ship every day.

I hope this helps

Catherine

4 hours ago, KforKitty said:

We’re on the Infinity in 6 week’s time and I’ve just checked the X app which gives menus for each night in the MDR.  There are classic dishes served every night which includes steak and chicken, so I don’t think your wife will have a problem.

I cannot compare X with P&O as I’ve not sailed with the latter but can confirm that my husband has never taken a suit on a cruise holiday and was fine with a formal shirt and long trousers even on formal nights.

Entertainment is not yet loaded in the app but from previous experience there will be a West End show and cabaret style entertainment in the theatre plus regular music and events around the ship every day.

I hope this helps

Catherine

Thanks for your comments Catherine, after posting these questions i  had a moment of inspiration and looked on Youtube to see if there was a selection of menus and this backs up what you said but also shows some of the dishes. Im not sure about the Escargot!

Hope you have a great cruise and maybe leave some feedback if you get a chance and any tips.

I have never cruised on P&O, but some of our friends have and I think you will find a difference if sailing X. Firstly, we like the international mix on board Celebrity which you will obviously not find on P&O as it is a British brand of Carnival PLC sold over here. Additionally, we can usually tell those that have cruised previously on P&O as they tend to wear much more formal attire on Chic/formal evenings (I say this from experience on both Celebrity and Princess), so you are correct in thinking that it’s a little more relaxed on X (I’m talking long gowns here for clarification). Your wife will not have a problem in the MDR; I am also a very plain eater and the waiters are always very accommodating. The entertainment varies from production shows to entertainers brought on board - you will find the same entertainers appear on various lines as they hop on and off ships at ports along the cruise-lines’ itineraries.

Gratuities are a very contentious point. We leave on the auto-grats and give those we feel go over and above a little extra. You may find your OBC for booking covers some or all of your grats anyway. Drinks are expensive, but if you do not warrant a package then you will pay for fewer drinks at prices akin to most hotels - it’s swings and roundabouts.

Variety is the spice of life; just remember to go in with an open mind and do the research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villauk said:

I have never cruised on P&O, but some of our friends have and I think you will find a difference if sailing X. Firstly, we like the international mix on board Celebrity which you will obviously not find on P&O as it is a British brand of Carnival PLC sold over here. Additionally, we can usually tell those that have cruised previously on P&O as they tend to wear much more formal attire on Chic/formal evenings (I say this from experience on both Celebrity and Princess), so you are correct in thinking that it’s a little more relaxed on X (I’m talking long gowns here for clarification). Your wife will not have a problem in the MDR; I am also a very plain eater and the waiters are always very accommodating. The entertainment varies from production shows to entertainers brought on board - you will find the same entertainers appear on various lines as they hop on and off ships at ports along the cruise-lines’ itineraries.

Gratuities are a very contentious point. We leave on the auto-grats and give those we feel go over and above a little extra. You may find your OBC for booking covers some or all of your grats anyway. Drinks are expensive, but if you do not warrant a package then you will pay for fewer drinks at prices akin to most hotels - it’s swings and roundabouts.

Variety is the spice of life; just remember to go in with an open mind and do the research.

Thanks for your detailed opinion VillaUK im sure we are prepared to have an open mind on all aspects of the cruise and its good to know the dress code. Unfortunately the deal we are looking at does not contain any onboard credit but rather than pay gratuities i would rather go for a premium upgrade on the type of room i.e from inside to outside . We dont need a balcony as we hardly ever use it and the balcony or aqua class cabins are not in our budget range. The Aqua class being 2.5 times the cost of a standard inside cabin.