Buying Drink Package Mid Cruise

Merv692

I’m sailing on the Reflection in April, and our last port is on Day 6. Days 7 and 8 are at sea, and we’ll disembark on the morning of Day 9. Can I purchase the drink package on the morning of Day 7? If so, will I only be charged for Days 7 and 8, or do they also charge for Day 9? My reasoning is that we’ll be off the ship on Days 3, 4, and 5, so I wouldn’t get the same value if I’m not onboard. What do you think?

Thanks in Advance.

If this could be done everyone would be doing it. You pay for day 1 through the end of the cruise even you you buy the package on day 3. Remember that the drink package is for all types of beverages not just alcohol.

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If this could be done everyone would be doing it. You pay for day 1 through the end of the cruise even you you buy the package on day 3. Remember that the drink package is for all types of beverages not just alcohol.

This is incorrect.  I don’t know the latest day in the cruise you can buy it…but when you do it is pro-rated.

From Celebrity website……..

“You may purchase a Drink Package up to 72 hours before you sail, online at Celebrity Cruises Cruise Planner. Or you may purchase the Drink Package onboard, on the first day of your cruise. Ask at any bar for more information.”

I would be inclined to believe there is no fleetwide enforced policy on when the beverage packages can be purchased mid-cruise.  It's likely ship and even sailing dependent.  While the FAQ quoted in the last post states that they are only available for purchase on the first day, I've been asked if I was interested in a beverage package on days following the first.  There's clearly some sort of cutoff point, but I think this is at the discretion of the food & bev manager.

To compare against the sister brand, the FAQ for Royal Caribbean is a bit more verbose on when the beverage package is allowed to be purchased.

Q

Can guests purchase the all-inclusive beverage packages for selected days?

A

The package is sold for the first 2 days of the voyage and can only be purchased for the length of the voyage. On a 2 or 3-night cruise, guests must purchase on the first day.

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

This is incorrect.  I don’t know the latest day in the cruise you can buy it…but when you do it is pro-rated.

Have you had a pro-rated drink pkg and if so, which day did you purchase?  We're thinking of waiting until embarkation or day(s) after to see if the value is there for the number of drinks we may order (including juice).  Pro rate makes sense but may not be offered?  I wonder if there's an X source to ask pre cruise.

50 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Have you had a pro-rated drink pkg and if so, which day did you purchase?  We're thinking of waiting until embarkation or day(s) after to see if the value is there for the number of drinks we may order (including juice).  Pro rate makes sense but may not be offered?  I wonder if there's an X source to ask pre cruise.

No I always book AI at the time of booking which has always turned out to be less then waiting for a sale that still ends up to be more than booking AI. I'm a light drinker but drink sparkling water and take bottled water for port excursions so it's still a deal for me if I can get it at $60.  AI for my upcoming sailing was only $51 a day with WiFi. I upgraded to premium for $8.99

I have read here several things here.

1 it isn't pro rated up to day 2

2 it isn't discounted on day 3 unless you have the loyalty discount 

3 it was pro rated at full price.

Like someone here said each ship has rules and exceptions so it's a gamble and I would be very surprised if they let you buy a drink package just for the sea days. 

I wrote a comment on this subject of AI vs. cruise planner purchase in another thread.  I'll include it again here as it's relevant.

For any sailing, it's worth comparing the AI pricing versus purchasing the drink package and wifi separately.  With the frequent flash sales that Celebrity now offers, it's frequently cheaper to buy the add-ons after booking.  Also, the add-ons are fully refundable up until a couple days before the sailing whilst the AI price is lumped into the final payment and therefore falls under the same cancellation penalty schedule.  Another benefit of buying the packages after booking is your non-refundable cost for the purposes of travel insurance cancellation coverage is also reduced.  One final reason to purchase after booking is pricing for AI is not as easy to track as cruise-only in case you're looking to obtain a price reduction down the road.

• Like 1