Going to Tokyo/Visit Japan Web Site

I haven't used it to enter (our cruise is in March), but I did create an account and enter our info. Apparently, the site is highly recommended to expedite entry. Once all your info is entered (you can also put a travel mate's info in too), the site generates a QR code which is scanned for the entry agents to see. It's a fairly lengthy form to fill out, but most of it is about potential conditions you might have or things you might be bringing into the country. Go ahead and create your account and start the process. 

Actually there are two registrations one for immigration and one for customs. We have used them twice once at Narita (within Covid) when we sailed straight through and once at Haneda when we just seemed to join the queue. 

I think I read that from February there will only be one code so going in January we will have two and then returning only have one so I think we will have to do two applications.

Will check this and return if my info is not correct.

Above info is correct, I would advise filling it in it does take a while though.

https://services.digital.go.jp/en/visit-japan-web/news/20240125-01/

Edited by cruiseaholic78

4 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Totally off topic but if you have some free time in Tokyo and have seen

enough temples might I suggest this.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/planets/

Very different and great fun, if its booked keep checking as some become available on the day.

Fabulous installation and well worth a visit. We did Team Lab Borderless in The Rhopongi district in Tokyo.  

13 hours ago, Las Vegas Sailing said:

I will be arriving in Tokyo the end of October to sail on the Explorer.  Has anyone recently used the Visit Japan WEB Site to entere the country in Tokyo.  If so, I would appreciate any comments, advice or suggestions on using the web site. 

It is worth the effort to complete the forms.  I ended up getting a bar code for myself and my husband which worked out well.  

In my post, I meant get two bar codes, one for each of you.  The process of adding a family member was murky and when I went back in to check, my husband was not listed.  So, I did two separate applications and we had no problems.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, forgap said:

In my post, I meant get two bar codes, one for each of you.  The process of adding a family member was murky and when I went back in to check, my husband was not listed.  So, I did two separate applications and we had no problems.  

this is exactly what I messed up - make certain you have a bar code for each person

• Thanks 1

We used it in March.   They changed the process in January -- You get ONE barcode PER PERSON for immigration and customs, otherwise you use the paper forms.

Is it worth it.  YES it was the line for the paper was extremely long at Immigration.  Probably in excess of 30 minutes.  We were through immigration and customs in under 5 minutes  (no luggage).

On 9/24/2024 at 6:47 AM, cruiseaholic78 said:

I think I read that from February there will only be one code so going in January we will have two and then returning only have one so I think we will have to do two applications.

I stand corrected you are absolutely correct it was January 2024 not 2025, as it is a rainy day I will wade through the forms and apply.

Here is a great website for Tokyo and they also have other Japanese ports as well.

https://tokyocheapo.com/?utm_source=pwa&utm_campaign=direct

Happy planning

Really useful info here, thank you.

Busy morning for us. Successfully completed the online process. We also booked the last of our Shinkansens for our 9 day tour prior to our cruise. 

Beginning to feel real and very exciting.

@Las Vegas Sailing sounds like we'll be on the Explorer with you. Tokyo to HK? Or maybe you're on the previous  cruise?

34 minutes ago, Redking said:

Really useful info here, thank you.

Busy morning for us. Successfully completed the online process. We also booked the last of our Shinkansens for our 9 day tour prior to our cruise. 

Beginning to feel real and very exciting.

@Las Vegas Sailing sounds like we'll be on the Explorer with you. Tokyo to HK? Or maybe you're on the previous  cruise?

We will board the Explorer on October 29th Tokyo to Hong Kong.

• Like 1