Bidding for Upgrades

TonicTraveler

3 minutes ago, TonicTraveler said:

The rules of cruise critic do not allow disclosure.

Not so.  Directly from the guidelines:  

"Travel agents (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. You are welcome to sign your first name and note your professional business as long as you comply with the following:

• You may not use your business name as your Cruise Critic user name.
  • You may sign your posts with your first name only.
  • You may include your company name in your signature.
  • No phone numbers, business location (city or state), web site address, contact info or e-mail address are allowed either in signatures or your Cruise Critic profile.
  • Responding to member's inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.
  • Only items of a general nature may be discussed on the forums by any travel agent.
  • Travel agents are not allowed to solicit for tours on Roll Calls."

AND,

"

• Cruise Line executives, PR Teams, Social Media Gurus and other staff members are encouraged to participate on Cruise Critic forums. After registering, please contact our Community Manager at community@cruisecritic.com to validate your account as "official".
  • Cruise Critic will allow official representatives of cruise line management to respond to reviews written about their ships, either on our message board forums or in a published review. Please contact community@cruisecritic.com for more information about our Cruise Line Response initiative. Responses to published reviews that meet our criteria will be displayed on the Cruise Critic site directly underneath the relevant review."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bidding is not applicable to our upcoming cruise, in December on Insignia.  I have also never been happy with it with other cruise lines.

It seems that there's quite a bit of availability, especially for ocean view cabins, and we're inside.  

Does anyone know if upgrades are sometimes possible for less than the published difference in fares?  I sent the question to my TA; I'm curious.

3 minutes ago, mlmdaisy said:

Bidding is not applicable to our upcoming cruise, in December on Insignia.  I have also never been happy with it with other cruise lines.

It seems that there's quite a bit of availability, especially for ocean view cabins, and we're inside.  

Does anyone know if upgrades are sometimes possible for less than the published difference in fares?  I sent the question to my TA; I'm curious.

Traditionally, upgrades have been offered on a limited basis but cannot/should not be counted upon.  Usually, one's TA will be contacted with the offer of an upgrade for a certain price.  These are done on a very limited basis and with a short trigger.  In other words, if you snooze, you lose.  Over the years that we've been sailing, we've been offered this kind of upgrade on just a few occasions.  We accepted one time and let the others go because they didn't seem like enough of a deal to make it worthwhile.  Additionally, one is not given the location of the offered upgrade so there's some gamble in it, if location is important to you.  It sounds like this kind of upgrade may be changing, and a new method may be tested on Vista.  I guess we'll see how it plays out.  

• Like 1

Since this is an NCL-owned company, I expect the bidding system/company to be the same one they use (which I think is what ALL the mainstream cruise lines, even airlines, use).

It does have its good side, as we've gotten some good upgrades on NCL in the past for much cheaper than just booking the same cabin outright.  It's how many folks get into the Haven to try out, including ourselves (inside to a balcony and Club Balcony to Courtyard Haven).

We've done it twice.  Once from an Oceanview to Veranda.  I guess it was okay but I'd rather be up on deck than on my veranda. Once from a Veranda to a Concierge. My husband does enjoy the veranda, me not so much but I think both times it was just $100 per person for the upgrade.  The Concierge change was not worth it.  $200 for a bottle of champagne and a lounge with some bad food.  We never needed any help from the concierge and the only reason we were in the lounge is because it was next to the laundry room. Both times our travel agent notified us and we had a limited time to accept the offer.  I don't think those without a travel agent are ever offered these options, but I'm not certain 

On our last cruise we could have upgraded to a Penthouse Suite but that was a $1000,00 per person.  Less than what we would have paid if we had booked that cabin but more than what we wanted to pay.    

After I wrote this I remember the good old days when American Airlines gave you stickers for what I think I remember was every 500 miles you flew.  When your "sticker page" was full you could use it to upgrade to first class.  At that time my husband traveled a lot, and we went first class a lot too.  I don't think we'll ever go back to the sticker days, but it was fun.

On 9/29/2024 at 5:08 PM, mlmdaisy said:

I will report back, hopefully within a few days.  We are not fussy about location.  Even a porthole would be nice for a Caribbean itinerary, but if it's not worth it to us, we're fine inside too.  

We've cruised in a lot of inside rooms and they're not bad at all.  If I want to see what the weather is, I turn on the TV and look at the webcam showing what's ahead of the ship. And if I want to be outside, it only takes me a minute or two to dress and get outside. I really like those F category insides, as they're mid ship and very quiet due to location in a private little pod of 4.  With an inside cabin, we've been offered a veranda room a number of times for a stated price.  But they are NOT giving those away cheaply, so we almost always decline the offer. .  

• Like 1

I agree.  We’re happy enough inside, but there are indications that there are plenty of available ocean view cabins, so logical thinking suggests an upgrade would not be much.  I know…..logic doesn’t always apply.

Last summer we chose inside on the Regatta, and had a huge accessible cabin.  I did worry that I’d accidentally touch one of the alarm gizmos, though.  😉

We had a huge accessible cabin on Vista once.  We didn't need it but that's what was left for a French balcony cabin.  I don't think Vista even has inside cabins The shower was big enough for six people.  I don't mind an inside cabin but my husband does like to look outside as we come into a port.  If the price is reasonable we will upgrade but I'm not going to spend thousands to have a butler.  To be honest, I really don't know what I'd do if I had a butler

I just received an email with an offer to bid for upgrades on a Vista cruise this November.  I am already in Concierge, so upgrading to a Penthouse suite would not appear to add much, except the ability to order from speciality restaurants for in-room dining.  I am not a big fan of in-room dining, so that is not really a benefit for me.  I already made my specialty restaurant reservations, so early booking for penthouse suites would not benefit me.  

We had a butler once in a suite on Celebrity, and did not really feel comfortable calling the butler for things I could easily do myself.  For instance, one morning I called and asked for espresso.  It took some time, and I determined it was quicker and easier to go get it myself.

Are there any other advantages of penthouse vs. concierge that I may be overlooking? 

Here is a link to Os FAQ about bidding for upgrades.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/upgrade-advantage-faq

Edited by cruiserchuck

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

I just received an email with an offer to bid for upgrades on a Vista cruise this November.  I am already in Concierge, so upgrading to a Penthouse suite would not appear to add much, except the ability to order from speciality restaurants for in-room dining.  I am not a big fan of in-room dining, so that is not really a benefit for me.  I already made my specialty restaurant reservations, so early booking for penthouse suites would not benefit me.  

We had a butler once in a suite on Celebrity, and did not really feel comfortable calling the butler for things I could easily do myself.  For instance, one morning I called and asked for espresso.  It took some time, and I determined it was quicker and easier to go get it myself.

Are there any other advantages of penthouse vs. concierge that I may be overlooking? 

Here is a link to Os FAQ about bidding for upgrades.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/upgrade-advantage-faq

You would also have a bigger room with more storage and a bigger bathroom with 2 sinks. Depending on the length of the cruise, it may be an advantage you may be willing to pay for.

@cruiserchuck

On O, PH’s are 50% larger than the A or B Veranda staterooms on any class of ships. I will say my wife was spoiled after our first upgrade offer so we have not gone back to a Veranda stateroom. Be careful,there is a cost and it can become habit forming. O knows what they are doing with Upgrades 🤙🤪 The Butlers are very helpful and personable and you should enjoy having them. We did a B2B and one Butler was great and one was mediocre, good worker but not personable. That was our only less than great Butler experience. 
If you check Sthrngary’s posts, he shared a letter he prepared for their Butler on their first O cruise. Really was excellent and their Butler got rave reviews. Check it out. 
Whatever you do, ENJOY. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

We've cruised in a lot of inside rooms and they're not bad at all. ... I really like those F category insides, as they're mid ship and very quiet due to location in a private little pod of 4.  With an inside cabin, we've been offered a veranda room a number of times for a stated price.  But they are NOT giving those away cheaply, so we almost always decline the offer.  

We enjoyed our recent inside F (7055) on Sirena (8/28-9/9, 2024). Nicely laid out, plus dark & quiet for sleeping. And amidship, As well as on the same deck as the Launderette. We did a lot of laundry, given we were gone for 30 nights total.

We don't have a TA and have received numerous offers to change or upgrade prior to the cruise. For the 1st part of our Baltic B2B we were sent an offer by e-mail to move from our F to a D. We declined. And when we've been offered upgrades from say a B to an A, the price offered hasn't been sufficient to warrant the move.

We're familiar with the bidding process having sailed frequently on NCL.  We just received the upgrade offer via email for our Vista Rome to Miami cruise on Nov 20th.  I'm surprised as most of the Penthouse and above categories are "Waitlisted?"  Seems to me I'd be wasting my time trying to move to a PH from Concierge?

36 minutes ago, BAMA_BOY said:

We're familiar with the bidding process having sailed frequently on NCL.  We just received the upgrade offer via email for our Vista Rome to Miami cruise on Nov 20th.  I'm surprised as most of the Penthouse and above categories are "Waitlisted?"  Seems to me I'd be wasting my time trying to move to a PH from Concierge?

I agree, but I put a bid in anyway.  See you on board. 

We received an email to invite bid on upgrades for Vista 12/5 sailing.  We like the option and have used it on Celebrity.  We book entry level suites (PH Oceania SS Celebrity) which are perfectly acceptable to us.  If we can make a bid for a price we like we do it. We have a 100% success rate on Celebrity (about 6 upgrades). The last one we did we made a very close to minimum bid for a Royal Suite.  Cost of bid plus booked cabin cost was about 40% of the advertised RS price.  As this is our first O cruise we will not be bidding.  We want to experience the PH suite and know what we're getting for our fare before we consider bidding.  For the 12 night Vista sailing on 12/5 our minimum bids from a PH are:

Oceania Suite  $1200pp

Vista Suite  $1560pp

Owner Suite  $2640pp

Current prices on web

Oceania Suite  $11,099pp     +$5,050pp

Vista Suite  $13,399pp          +$7,350pp

Owner Suite  $17,599pp       +$11,550pp

the PH2 $6,049pp we have booked

We are not in a place where we would pay $35,000 for an owners suite.  If we got lucky and made a winning bid at $3,000pp and could enjoy the top end suite for $18,000 we'd consider that a win.  Just our take on the process.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, flviking said:

We received an email to invite bid on upgrades for Vista 12/5 sailing.  We like the option and have used it on Celebrity.  We book entry level suites (PH Oceania SS Celebrity) which are perfectly acceptable to us.  If we can make a bid for a price we like we do it. We have a 100% success rate on Celebrity (about 6 upgrades). The last one we did we made a very close to minimum bid for a Royal Suite.  Cost of bid plus booked cabin cost was about 40% of the advertised RS price.  As this is our first O cruise we will not be bidding.  We want to experience the PH suite and know what we're getting for our fare before we consider bidding.  For the 12 night Vista sailing on 12/5 our minimum bids from a PH are:

Oceania Suite  $1200pp

Vista Suite  $1560pp

Owner Suite  $2640pp

Current prices on web

Oceania Suite  $11,099pp     +$5,050pp

Vista Suite  $13,399pp          +$7,350pp

Owner Suite  $17,599pp       +$11,550pp

the PH2 $6,049pp we have booked

We are not in a place where we would pay $35,000 for an owners suite.  If we got lucky and made a winning bid at $3,000pp and could enjoy the top end suite for $18,000 we'd consider that a win.  Just our take on the process.

Very surprised that these are all available.

12 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Very surprised that these are all available.

For the new bidding process, it looks like they are taking bids on all categories, even those that are sold out.  My upcoming Vista cruise has been totally sold out for some time, but the email I received was soliciting bids for all categories above my current one.  

They may be shown as Waitlisted but that does not mean Staterooms will not become available when the “Shuffle” begins. Remember, for every action, there is a reaction so they will have a different Category level to sell or transfer to another Waitlisted guest.  
My understanding is that roughly 1/3 of bookings cancel/change from Release Date to Sail Date so there is always movement. We had to cancel our son off a Vista sailing three days prior to traveling.

🙏🤞

Mauibabes

3 minutes ago, ScottieM said:

Not a hope in h... that my bid will go through, but $500ea to go from B2 to the PH would be worth it (Nov. sailing on Vista) if they accept it

All Vista sailings in November are showing wait list for all suite categories.  So yea, probably no hope.