Has anyone applied for the ETA for Australia? Please share some info how to apply. Thank you.

gam888

We are Canadian citizens and would need to apply for an ETA (subclass 600) or subclass (601) visa to visit Australia. We are considering visiting Australia in the beginning of February 2025 on a cruise. I am trying to find some information about when I should start to apply for the ETA visa for Australia. I have read that you might be granted a 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month visa. The processing time might be a month? I think on the application form there is a question asking you when you plan to visit Australia. I am wondering if I put down February 1, 2025, if I apply for this visa soon, and if it's approved let's say by November, and let's say they approve a visa that is valid for 3 months, then by the time I really need to use it for February 2025, it will almost be expired! Or would the visa start being effective on February 2025 according to what I put down on the application form?  Is the ETA always going to valid for 12 months once it's approved? What if they approve an ETA that is only valid for 6 months, is it possible?

I don't want to apply way too early, but I just want to have plenty of time to get the visa in case I want to advance my travel day. I can't find any offices or organization on the the internet that I can send a email to regarding this question.

I have read that the (subclass 601) is the one to apply for, the (subclass 600) is more onerous and more expensive? I looked at the description of them on the website, and they both seem to be for visitors who want to just visit and not to work. On the application form, would it be easier to indicate that I would be visiting for "tourism" purpose, or to indicate "visiting friends or family". In my situation, could be a bit or both.

Does anyone have any information about this, or can direct me where to get this information? Thank you in advance.

If you are Canadian citizens travelling on regular passports no visa is required for visits up to 90 days. See Entry and exit requirements, https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/australia.

An ETA, (electronic travel authority) is required. An ETA is valid for 12 months permitting multiple visits of up to 3 months each. ETA are easily obtained using the official Australian government app. The government web page (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601) suggests that most ETA are granted immediately.

• Like 2

The simplest and cheapest way is to use the Australian mobile app called AustralianETA, which is available on the App/Google Store. 
It takes only a few minutes to complete the form and is valid for 12 months.

We just did it a couple of weeks ago and it was quite straightforward and easy to use.

• Like 1

The ONLY caveat is to be sure you use the OFFICIAL Australian Govt., site. There are a number of 3rd party that LOOK official, but they are NOT Govt. and will charge you more than the actual cost. The link broberts posted in #2 is the Official Australian Govt. link. When we applied, mine was approved in minutes, my wife's approval took 24 hours. The ETA is connected to your passport but also a good idea to print out hard copies or screen shots on your phone. We had them available but never needed hard copies. Enjoy your trip.  

I just did this yesterday (we cruise Jan30). It’s as everyone mentioned above…as Canadians going to visit, we only need the Australian ETA, not a VISA. Download the Australia ETA app to your mobile device (with a camera). Have your passport and credit card available. If you are travelling with someone, you can do their application at the same time (once you’ve done yours it will ask if there are additional applicants). You just scan the passport page, take your photo, and answer some questions re.criminal record etc. ii will ask for an Australian address where you are going, we used our hotel for the pre-stay. We had barely closed the app and the authorization was granted (check your junk email box!). Valid for a year from now. The authorization is linked to your passport. Very easy 👍 $20 AUD per person.