LIVE! * EPIC * Oct 6 – 17, 2024 * Greek Isles

HBCcruiser

BTW our Butler was a bit of a dud. In fact, no snacks were delivered yesterday or today. Weird. Not that we need them.  He was basically non- existent. This is a first for us. We have always had good to great butlers who deserved a great tip. What should I tip our dud? 

Pure idiocy:

A woman at the Haven bar hacking away complains that she has been sick for several days because someone got her sick. She’d love to have it out with that person yet here she sits at the Haven bar. Seriously? You see no irony in your statement. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

BTW our Butler was a bit of a dud. In fact, no snacks were delivered yesterday or today. Weird. Not that we need them.  He was basically non- existent. This is a first for us. We have always had good to great butlers who deserved a great tip. What should I tip our dud? 

I've sailed the Haven quite a bit.  For the most part, the Butlers have gone out of their way to be helpful.  But, every once in a while I'll find one who seems to be...oh....I dunno...."less enthusiastic".  This has only happened a couple of times.  They weren't bad, per se.  They just weren't what I've been accustomed to.

I don't ask much of my Butlers.  Just keep the Nespresso pods full and don't let the obligatory sparkling wine linger in the cabin, as I won't drink it.  That's it.

The one "meh" Butler was invisible until the 2nd to last day of the cruise....when he was lingering around my cabin all day wanting to know if I needed anything.

What to tip?  That's up to you.  I gave my "meh" Butler $20, and that's only because I DID have a full Nespresso machine the entire cruise.  Aside from that, he didn't warrant much from me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I've sailed the Haven quite a bit.  For the most part, the Butlers have gone out of their way to be helpful.  But, every once in a while I'll find one who seems to be...oh....I dunno...."less enthusiastic".  This has only happened a couple of times.  They weren't bad, per se.  They just weren't what I've been accustomed to.

I don't ask much of my Butlers.  Just keep the Nespresso pods full and don't let the obligatory sparkling wine linger in the cabin, as I won't drink it.  That's it.

The one "meh" Butler was invisible until the 2nd to last day of the cruise....when he was lingering around my cabin all day wanting to know if I needed anything.

What to tip?  That's up to you.  I gave my "meh" Butler $20, and that's only because I DID have a full Nespresso machine the entire cruise.  Aside from that, he didn't warrant much from me.

A dud deserves a dud. zero 

• Like 4

Thank you for the wonderful review! 😃 I look forward to following along with your adventures in Rome and on the next cruise.

We are the worst people to ask what to give to the butler or room steward who are just okay or not great. For some reason, we haven't felt the same about a bad concierge.

My husband and I start wondering if they are homesick, had a huge workload, have a family issue going on, or insert another excuse. We tend to reduce the amount but sometimes just give what makes us feel like we can sleep well not knowing the circumstances. On one cruise, we had the same butler months later and we loved that butler. On the second cruise, there were many families with several teenagers who we could see were very high maintenance as these teens left messes in the Haven pool area and seemed to be constantly ordering room service. The butler admitted to being challenged with these families.

Then we start thinking of how they are willing to work so hard to support their families but I don't disagree with those who tip lower amounts - we just aren't there yet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yeees I packed a costume. 😉

IMG_8351.thumb.png.4ae3acbed555dd04993fb9126e6b1a1b.png

We'll have to compare Halloween adventures. Looks like I've got a busy day with 2 stops and an island circumnavigation that day. I may pack my sloth costume and have it double as comfy PJs, but suitcase space is limited for our trip so I'll probably just settle for something smaller and simpler.

image.png.8f844c4b859c4c5661cb6b8674c12b9b.png

• Like 3