What's going on?

MMfan14

6 hours ago, moviegal said:

That looks yummy! The Deli on the Firenze last month had really gross premade sandwiches. Even the crew members kept telling us to "avoid the deli," LOL!

In particular, avoid the gray cat food looking “steak” food product they put in the steak and cheese sandwich. Steak Umms aren’t great but they are high class compared to Carnival’s.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:07 PM, staceyglow said:

My cruises always cost less than what I would have to pay for a decent hotel room on a land-based resort, and I would still have to pay separately for food and entertainment. 

I paid ~$148/night/person for everything (airfare, lodging, rental car, food. alcohol, entertainment) on my last Mexico land vacation - that was a private oceanfront villa with it's own pool, eating at restaurants.

I paid ~$301/night/person for everything (cruise fare, airfare, lodging, food, alcohol,entertainment) on my February cruise on Mardi Gras.

I paid ~ $411/night/person for everything (airfare, lodging, rental car, food. alcohol, entertainment) on my last Belize land vacation - that was an all-inclusive with a ~1500 square foot room ina private oceanfront villa with a pool shared between 6 rooms.

Edited by aborgman

On 10/2/2024 at 8:08 AM, mz-s said:

I'm not asking for Michelin star food on Carnival, I'm just asking for them to return to their pre-COVID standard. That's it. The food back then wasn't "suit and tie" quality either, but at least it was better than the truck stop Denny's that it is now. I don't think that's a big ask, do you?

Therein lies the issue.  I think you need to accept it isn't going to change back, and if you can't accept that, it's time to move on.  I think you also need to consider, it might not even be possible.  A lot of suppliers that were around before covid are no longer around, and some that are still around are now charging significantly more.  Carnival most likely has had to seek alternative suppliers. 

I've seen this effect from many products from my cooking salt to kitty litter, where the same product is no longer the same. 

But you take such personal offense, like Carnival is doing it for funsies.

With that said, as mentioned numerous times, you found your food on your last cruise on the Magic around LABOR DAY 2023 to be vile.  We know!

But here is the thing, I cruised the same ship around the same time and found the food to be satisfactory.  I even ate at the deli, and thoroughly enjoyed my Reuben sandwich, and honestly didn't even notice if it was already assembled or not.  Because frankly, I don't care.  It was good.  I even went back another day!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

In my experience, the hot dogs are kept in a steamer all day long and when you order one, they will slap the chili on top and throw it in the toaster for a few seconds. I have personally been told by the “sandwich artists” that they only make the sandwiches on the menu. There are no custom orders. I’ll be on Elation next month and I will try a custom order and will let you know.

I'm curious if you sail other cruise lines or only Carnival?

21 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I'm curious if you sail other cruise lines or only Carnival?

I do.

26 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Therein lies the issue.  I think you need to accept it isn't going to change back, and if you can't accept that, it's time to move on.  I think you also need to consider, it might not even be possible.  A lot of suppliers that were around before covid are no longer around, and some that are still around are now charging significantly more.  Carnival most likely has had to seek alternative suppliers. 

I've seen this effect from many products from my cooking salt to kitty litter, where the same product is no longer the same. 

But you take such personal offense, like Carnival is doing it for funsies.

With that said, as mentioned numerous times, you found your food on your last cruise on the Magic around LABOR DAY 2023 to be vile.  We know!

But here is the thing, I cruised the same ship around the same time and found the food to be satisfactory.  I even ate at the deli, and thoroughly enjoyed my Reuben sandwich, and honestly didn't even notice if it was already assembled or not.  Because frankly, I don't care.  It was good.  I even went back another day!

We aren’t talking about putting a man on the moon here, for goodness sake. You’re telling me they can’t buy Steak Umms instead of the cat food smelling stuff they use for the steak and cheese? I can get Steam Umms right now, there is no supply issue. Give me a break.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

There is no comparison here.  You aren't buying Steam Umms for millions of people.

Subway does, they have no problem doing it. You may know Subway, the world’s largest fast food chain. Carnival just doesn’t want to pay for the quality that they used to pay for. They’re cutting every aspect of the experience to the absolute bone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Subway does, they have no problem doing it. You may know Subway, the world’s largest fast food chain. Carnival just doesn’t want to pay for the quality that they used to pay for. They’re cutting every aspect of the experience to the absolute bone.

Interesting comparison, since Subway is 100% premade - yet you accept that.  Speaking for myself, I can't remember the last time I ate Subway though.

Additionally, we encourage you to contact Carnival to see how you can help the initiative to work out deal terms with Subway's supplier, since you seem to know how easily commercial food supply works, post-covid.

19 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Interesting comparison, since Subway is 100% premade - yet you accept that.  Speaking for myself, I can't remember the last time I ate Subway though.

Additionally, we encourage you to contact Carnival to see how you can help the initiative to work out deal terms with Subway's supplier, since you seem to know how easily commercial food supply works, post-covid.

Wear your Sunday best, since you liked the Reuben on Carnival so much - you’re in for the meal of a lifetime at Subway.

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Wear your Sunday best, since you liked the Reuben on Carnival so much - you’re in for the meal of a lifetime at Subway.

I'm not picky.

(Joking though, I actually don't find Subway worth the money.  I can find better subs elsewhere for comparable prices.  In these instances, I use self-evaluation to determine if Subway is the right choice for me, and then I exercise my right to choose establishments where I purchase things (noted in my comment about not having Subway for quite some time).  I don't have any expectation that Subway is going to lower prices, or improve quality.)

Food is very subjective for sure and I generally enjoy the food and always find plenty to eat. Hence, my 10 pound weight gain this summer on Legend in Europe where the cruise was much more about the destinations than the food. In my three cruises this past year, the aforementioned Legend, Magic at New Year’s, and Valor I did not see any premade deli sandwiches but I didn’t order everything on the menu or hand around the deli to watch them make sandwiches all day. They were, also, happy to made substitutions and additions. That being said, on Legend I had my worst Guys burger and only went there once because of it. Guys never seemed to have a line even on sea days. On the Magic, the MDR the fish entree was overcooked and under seasoned all three meals I ordered fish. I should have learned after the first or second time to order something else. I cook a lot of fish at home and it’s a fine line from being undercooked to just perfect to overcooked. All being said again I always find plenty of food to eat and enjoy each cruise. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t spend hours complaining on here I just would find another way to spend my leisure money and move on. Some people enjoy complaining just for the sake of complaining.

1 hour ago, StephPS79 said:

Subway is actually in the process of bringing deli slicers into all of their locations as a cost saving measure as it’s much cheaper slice their own meat than get the prepackaged sliced ready to assemble. Being that they have 37000 + locations and almost all franchised it will probably take a couple of years to implement and might be abandoned before being finished.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

I personally don't care for Subway at all... but Subway absolutely is not 100% premade.

The bread is even half baked on arrival, and cooked the other half of the way on site.

The cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers are cut and sliced daily on site.

...and they slice the bread and stuff all the ingredients in as you watch.

In what world is that "premade"?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

A delicious, hand-crafted custom reuben sandwich from Carnival Glory this year...

PXL_20240425_122109841.jpg.2d6cd5b4ecc58

Yikes... that looks underdone (cheese isn't melted), and like it was unwrapped and heated in a microwave. It definitely don't look handcrafted. I'm not even sure that is rye bread.

When I'm thinking good handcrafted Reuben - I'm expecting these:

bagel_deli.webp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

I personally don't care for Subway at all... but Subway absolutely is not 100% premade.

The bread is even half baked on arrival, and cooked the other half of the way on site.

The cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers are cut and sliced daily on site.

...and they slice the bread and stuff all the ingredients in as you watch.

In what world is that "premade"?

I have never had a subway sandwich artist take a frozen sandwich out of a bin, throw it in a microwave/toaster, and put it on a plate and hand it to me. But that happens thousands of times a day on carnival ships, no matter how much people on here try to gaslight. And yes that Reuben looked disgusting. The cognitive dissonance here is incredible. 

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I have never had a subway sandwich artist take a frozen sandwich out of a bin, throw it in a microwave/toaster, and put it on a plate and hand it to me. But that happens thousands of times a day on carnival ships, no matter how much people on here try to gaslight. And yes that Reuben looked disgusting. The cognitive dissonance here is incredible. 

You're right, Subway's extra touch of taking the already-cooked beef out of a metal bin and throwing it into the microwave for 90 seconds, before stuffing it in the par-baked reheated bread really takes it up a notch...

With that said - no one is trying to gaslight you, but if you really think the above picture of the Carnival Reuben looks disgusting, I implore you, please do not sail on Carnival ever again, as your expectations are not in line with the product.  It will never again be the Carnival that you so fondly remember.  Make the decisions that will make you happy.  

6 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

You're right, Subway's extra touch of taking the already-cooked beef out of a metal bin and throwing it into the microwave for 90 seconds, before stuffing it in the par-baked reheated bread really takes it up a notch...

With that said - no one is trying to gaslight you, but if you really think the above picture of the Carnival Reuben looks disgusting, I implore you, please do not sail on Carnival ever again, as your expectations are not in line with the product.  It will never again be the Carnival that you so fondly remember.  Make the decisions that will make you happy.  

Fresh vegetables cut that day. Your choice of toppings. Par-baked bread finished, in house, that day.

vs.

PEQ+label+mockup_group+sandwiches.png

...and I don't think the Reuben looks disgusting - it's just looks like a re-heated, cafeteria sandwich they didn't get quite hot enough when reheating. Edible, but something I'd be disappointed in at any reputable deli.

Edited by aborgman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

Yikes... that looks underdone (cheese isn't melted), and like it was unwrapped and heated in a microwave. It definitely don't look handcrafted. I'm not even sure that is rye bread.

It absolutely was made fresh right in front on me and toasted, not microwaved.

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

When I'm thinking good handcrafted Reuben - I'm expecting these:

bagel_deli.webp

What cruise line was that? I didn't think so.

2 minutes ago, jsglow said:

The haters will always hate @BlerkOne. We know who they are. I actually think Carnival has upped their game quite nicely since Emeril Lagasse signed on.

Of course they will. I just don't care for the misinformation spread by some. I try to present reality to counter the alt-reality.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It absolutely was made fresh right in front on me and toasted, not microwaved.

What cruise line was that? I didn't think so.

Being a cruise line somehow makes a cafeteria quality Reuben into something great?

I don't expect more than fancy cafeteria food for the $15 a day that is going towards food - but I'm also not going to pretend that sad, understuffed, and not heated enough Reuben is a handmade delicacy.

It's a cafeteria quality Reuben - which is what I expect for the budget. It'll fill you up... but it's just what I expect on a cruise, low priced AI buffet, or a college dorm cafeteria.

34 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

This might have been the last reuben I had on Elation. It was also delicious!

DSC_5606_Zyde.jpg

Still looks understuffed (and a Panini press? Should be grilled. Not toasted, not sandwich pressed) ... But at least heated enough to melt the cheese.

2 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Being a cruise line somehow makes a cafeteria quality Reuben into something great?

I don't expect more than fancy cafeteria food for the $15 a day that is going towards food - but I'm also not going to pretend that sad, understuffed, and not heated enough Reuben is a handmade delicacy.

It's a cafeteria quality Reuben - which is what I expect for the budget. It'll fill you up... but it's just what I expect on a cruise, low priced AI buffet, or a college dorm cafeteria.

Taste is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion, but it is only that.

Katz will sell you a reuben kit for more than normal cruisers pay per day for a cruise.

https://katzsdelicatessen.com/katzs-reuben-package.html

and you still have to put it together and clean up after.

Carnegie will also sell kits, but I didn't see a reuben

https://carnegiedeli.com/collections/products