Is a CPAP machine safe to leave out in the cabin? And at the airport…?

Can we safely leave a CPAP machine out while we’re out and about while on the cruise? My understanding is we should put valuables in the safe, which gives me pause regarding my CPAP. 

Also, I read that you need to show your CPAP machine while going through the security checkpoint at the airport. But based on a couple of CC forum replies to a previous CPAP query one can keep it in the carry on luggage mostly without issue? 

12 minutes ago, bjbears said:

Can we safely leave a CPAP machine out while we’re out and about while on the cruise? My understanding is we should put valuables in the safe, which gives me pause regarding my CPAP. 

Also, I read that you need to show your CPAP machine while going through the security checkpoint at the airport. But based on a couple of CC forum replies to a previous CPAP query one can keep it in the carry on luggage mostly without issue? 

I travel with a CPAP all the time and have never been asked to take it out of my luggage. I do use TSA Precheck so that possibly makes a difference.

I also leave mine out in the cabin, I don't think anyone wants to steal my CPAP..

Not much of a street resale value on those, I'd imagine. I've left mine in hotel rooms without incident many times. I'd feel safe leaving it in a cabin. 

Security checkpoints are harder to say. The rules are different in every airport, and that's by design. Then there's things like precheck and priority lanes. Generally speaking, the rule is that the CPAP (the whole thing in its carrying case) must be scanned separately. If you're carrying it in a larger suitcase, take it out until you pass through security.

Also if you didn't know, you don't need to pack it in your carry-on. As a medical device, it doesn't count against your carry-on allowance. Obviously this means you need to haul around another piece if luggage, but if keeping it separate means you have room for all your clothes in a carry-on and don't need to check a bag it's well worth it. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, bjbears said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

Your stateroom is safe. I travel 3 or more times a month and my CPAP sits on the nightstand in hotels and on ships. The cruise ship safe is not big enough for anything more than travel documents. It is too small for laptops or tablets,,, so all of those items are left "unlocked" in my stateroom. 

You do not have to show your CPAP to airport or ship security. 

Personally, I have traveled with a CPAP for over a decade and always just throw it in my checked luggage when I travel (on airplanes and giving it in my luggage to a porter at a port). I don't need or want another piece of handcarry to deal with. For cruises, I also remove the humidifier can and run the CPAP without additional humidification. 

Remember to bring your own light weight extension cords. I carry a 12' and a 6' cord for NCL cruises since on most ships, there is no power next to the bed. 

Remember, if you decide to use your humidifier, complete a request to the NCL Access Desk Access Desk for distilled water (delivered to your stateroom for free). There is only a 20% chance that they will do it properly, so just track down your room steward on embarkation day if the distilled water is not waiting for you. 

Edited by BirdTravels

51 minutes ago, bjbears said:

Years ago, US TSA used to ask for CPAPs to be taken out and put in a bin separately. They no longer do.

I now usually just have it in a larger carry on bag, no problem.

However, recently in Vancouver I did have to remove the CPAP machine from the bag.

In any case, no big deal.

My husband leaves his machine in the cabin.  No issues at all.

We also have TSA precheck.  The CPAP bag goes through without a problem.  I would never trust putting it in a checked bag.  You never know if that will be the lost piece of luggage.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

No issue leaving a CPAP out in the cabin. Prior to having precheck, I would have to remove the CPAP from the bag to put in it's own bin to go through. I don't know if that is still the case (it's one of the reasons I got precheck).

I always just ask security if they want me to take CPAP out of carryon at airport, and I would never put CPAP in checked luggage as I can't really sleep without mine.  As far as Ship goes, set it up first night and just leave it out in room, it will be fine.

I have never had an issue travelling with a CPAP machine. Not by air, not in hotel rooms, so I don't see why it would be a problem on a ship.

As for your flights... just take it in carry on. You have 2 options... you can leave it in it's own carrying case and it is an extra allowable item because it is a medical device. OR... if you have room in your carry on you can put it in your carry on. BUT... if you do that option, it is best to take it out of your carry on bag for TSA to scan it separately. Personally - I often carry at travel size CPAP and I put it in a zipock bag at the top of my backpack - and remove the ziplock from my backpack for screening. Keeps it clean and easy for TSA to identify it. I find I am less likely to get my bag flagged for further inspection when I just do this automatically. Again - super easy if it is in a ziplock at the top of my bag. 

If your cpap is in it's original case that is carried separate as a "medical device" bag... you can ask TSA if they want you to remove it from it's case. Sometimes they are fine with it left in it's case, sometimes they want you to remove it.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

No issue leaving a CPAP out in the cabin. Prior to having precheck, I would have to remove the CPAP from the bag to put in it's own bin to go through. I don't know if that is still the case (it's one of the reasons I got precheck).

We've had prechek so long (wife was actually part of the pre roll out test group) I forgot that may be why I don't have to remove it any longer.

OP, I do unplug my device before leaving the cabin and put my mask/headgear in a zip lock bag.

I've had to take my CPAP out at airport security twice in the last two years.  Vancouver was one for sure and I can't remember which other non-US airport it was lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ngrund said:

Years ago, US TSA used to ask for CPAPs to be taken out and put in a bin separately. They no longer do.

However, recently in Vancouver I did have to remove the CPAP machine from the bag.

We have TSA Pre-check and also keep the CPAPs in their ResMed travel bags with a "Medical Device" label. Even in Keflavik, where we didn't have TSA Pre and we got random security extra screening, they didn't remove the cpaps. I take it as carry on. Never ever put it in checked luggage.

I leave it on a bedside stand in hotels and cruises all over without incident. I tend to stay at really good hotels, though. If you're somewhere sketchy, you may want to hide it.

Like someone said, there's probably not a big resale value for a used medical device that comes in contact with mucous membranes. 

Posted (edited)

Never a problem leaving in cabin.  Getting thru airport secrurity won't be a problem either but they may set it aside and search manually.  That happened to me once so far out of a dozen times. I have TSA precheck.

Edited by davencl

I used to take off my mask and hose and store it in the drawer during the day. I did this so "if" the room steward used a cleaner on the bedside table, my mask wouldn't get any on it. Now I use magnetic hooks to hang it up after I've cleaned it. 

Screen Shot 2024-10-02 at 4.17.29 AM.png

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, ngrund said:

that was our experience as well in Vancouver. Having it in its own carry case wasn’t enough. YVR wanted it out of the case as well. Even briefly lectured me on it. When we flew back home from MCO Orlando I tried taking it out of the case to avoid another lecture only to be told I didn’t need to. 

7 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I used to take off my mask and hose and store it in the drawer during the day. I did this so "if" the room steward used a cleaner on the bedside table, my mask wouldn't get any on it. Now I use magnetic hooks to hang it up after I've cleaned it. 

Screen Shot 2024-10-02 at 4.17.29 AM.png

smart idea using magnetic hooks. We’ve just been using command hooks but if we don’t get it in the right spot the first time, we are hooped. Adding magnet hooks to my list!